The power bar switchers and other unwanted electrical pests

canuckamuck

My house has a lot of traffic. Frequently there are people that stay for a couple of days and I don't even catch their name. You know friends of the father in law or distant cousins or friends of cousins. It's all a blur. I am pleased that they can enjoy our hospitality and go on their way. They rarely want to talk to me directly, and my wife is terrible at explaining who people are. Not that I don't interact, but after 12 years, I know that beyond shallow conversation, there is not much to talk about.

So here is my beef. Why the heck do these people I barely know, feel entitled to switch off and unplug my household electrical stuff? It seems some of them cannot resist switching off power bars, unplugging fans, Televisions and toasters. While at the same time leaving on the kettle, the rice cooker and the lights. Power bars are the biggest attraction to the off-switchers, so I have done my best to wire the house so they are no longer necessary. But lately my toaster has been under attack. The toaster is situated beside the rice cooker and directly in front of a triple outlet. So there is one for the cooker, one for the toaster, and one that is always free. So why is it that only the toaster is always unplugged and the rice cooker is left alone, and the free outlet never used? Is there a fear of toaster related incidents here?

OK this rant is silly, but I am just getting tired of the inconvenience of re-hooking up my conveniences.

Excellent live story biggrin.png

"The unpluggers" by famous Thai director Somchai cheesy.gif

It drives me mad and I am fighting hard to convince them to keep away from the plugs.

This endless unplugging/plugging wears the poor quality sockets out quickly.

I don't have a good explanation.

It could be the fear of lightning?

It could be the fear that the poorly designed devices might burn/melt down when unattended?

The bugs/cockroaches in the device might be burned biggrin.png ?

Fear of lightning: when a thunderstorm is around they want me to switch off the smartphone blink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

You do not die by touching an unplugged toaster - but you could if it were plugged in (and most are not grounded).

The Thai do not have the British switch on there outlet - but they do have a lot of electrical storms - see no reason for them not to unplug for a bit more safety.

Although a case could probably be made for leaving well enough alone; as each touch could be a lottery.

As for the rice cooker - that keeps it warm and ready for the next hungry eater.

I have been zapped by an empty socket(aunties house), it was next to the door frame and my cupped hand went over it as I was walking through, got a big jolt and have no idea how as my hand wasnt flush against the socket, Seems just being in close proximity to the socket can cause an electrical shock but more than likely it was crappy wiring, still dont know how the charge was able to hit me though just from close proximity. Maybe this is why they unplug all the time

I have been zapped by an empty socket(aunties house), it was next to the door frame and my cupped hand went over it as I was walking through, got a big jolt and have no idea how as my hand wasnt flush against the socket, Seems just being in close proximity to the socket can cause an electrical shock but more than likely it was crappy wiring, still dont know how the charge was able to hit me though just from close proximity. Maybe this is why they unplug all the time

If you were wering ring, it could have conducted the elecriity, gold is a pretty good conductor I nderstand.thumbsup.gif

Excellent live story biggrin.png

"The unpluggers" by famous Thai director Somchai cheesy.gif

It drives me mad and I am fighting hard to convince them to keep away from the plugs.

This endless unplugging/plugging wears the poor quality sockets out quickly.

I don't have a good explanation.

It could be the fear of lightning?

It could be the fear that the poorly designed devices might burn/melt down when unattended?

The bugs/cockroaches in the device might be burned biggrin.png ?

Fear of lightning: when a thunderstorm is around they want me to switch off the smartphone blink.png

lying in my bed in a little farmer village...

lightning strikes about 3 km from my home. on a electric pole

plug where i connect my macbook jumps about 5 ft in the air with a big bang.. plastic covering the floor has a big hole now, charger from my macbook dead.

in my working shed, the automatic battery loader blown in pieces, all backup led lights gone, inverter gone

Lucky for me, no tv, no dvd ... macbook was unplugged from the charger, movie server was disconnected pfew...

everything was earthed and basically was that the killer...

total damage about 60K baht

since then... i hear thunder, i unplug

the good news... i did teach my missus not to switch of the power bar switches, so we can see which is still hot and needs to be unplugged ( i started with glueing them first )

Consider - how hard is it going to be to rewire all your wife's acquaintances? And how easy would it be to rewire yourself?

You could put the toaster in your bedroom. Just watch out for the breadcrumbs in the bed.

A moat full of crocodiles, razor wire and a lockable turnstile might be going a bit far.

If you were wering ring, it could have conducted the elecriity, gold is a pretty good conductor I nderstand.thumbsup.gif

Might have been your magnetic personality.cheesy.gif

They are extremely scared of lightning blowing things up, quite common out where proper grounding seems unknown or uncared. They also believe the electric may go to the phone and so to you which is slightly possible where is poor or not done. And it does happen.

What I have found is that they are scared of electricity and fires. My wife does the same things here in America. They may not understand what a GFI is, and do not really understand. And in

Thailand the voltage is different. Simply tell them not to touch any electrical device, depending if they are properly installed. Just my two cents.whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

The power-bar phantom visited the office over the weekend. As is typical each island of 6 desks has a single power outlet and the normal daisy-chain of power strips.

Each desk has it's own UPS, so this morning's arrival was accompanied by the chirping of a myriad of the beasts and lots of grovelling around under the desks.

If only the phantom had cleaned under there when he/she turned off the power.

They plug something of theirs in, phone charger perhaps.

By the way, it isn't your house.

Technicalities, they know me and my family live there, and they don't.

And I have two nice locations for phone chargers to go with sockets that are always free.

You should know what I mean!

But the reality is Thai guests do make themselves 'at home' without so much as a 'please or thank you'.

You aren't suggesting they only plug their phones/ Pads or whatever in where you tell them to are you? :D

So long as wires don't run across the street to other houses all is well!

They plug something of theirs in, phone charger perhaps.

By the way, it isn't your house.

Technicalities, they know me and my family live there, and they don't.

And I have two nice locations for phone chargers to go with sockets that are always free.

You should know what I mean!

But the reality is Thai guests do make themselves 'at home' without so much as a 'please or thank you'.

You aren't suggesting they only plug their phones/ Pads or whatever in where you tell them to are you? biggrin.png

So long as wires don't run across the street to other houses all is well!

A long time ago the neighbor was having some welding done. So they had the workers hook into our electricity at the meter and ran the wires across the road.

That wouldn't happen today, but I was new here.

Why? Was there no meter for there property or did the workers just make a mistake? Actually believe most Thai would allow for a day or two - just as they would share water with neighbors. Believe the post was about hidden taps on wires - which does happen occasionally (but more likely in condo where wires are not open to inspection).

let me guess, you are paying for all these guests... nobody talks to you

would you talk to the ATM machine in your home country ?

All the ATM's I know just give you what you got in the bank. Not much of an analogy.

As for the guests, do you make yours pay for stuff when they drop by? What do you think they get from us, other than a share of a meal and a place to sleep for a night or two?