Happy property owners.

onemorechang

Are you a happy property owner  

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and what conclusions will you draw from asking 3 simple questions pray tell

Not a lot, Just for a bit of balance on the subject of property ownership.

We hear a lot form some people that are not happy with the property they own

but they cant have all the say.

There must be some happy contented people out there.

Not all doom and gloom.

Edited by onemorechang

The poll options don't really apply so I would say this:

I like the condo I own but would have been happier to have carried on renting it rather than buy it, had that been possible.

I suspect that it has lost value since I bought it, though that wont be known until it's sold. It also depends on how you take account of currency movements.

I would never invest in property here (ie buy something I was not going to live in), though I'm not averse to owning the place I live in if I have to.

I bought a house and gave it to my Thai wife 10 years ago...Result: less complications and a happy Missus..She has'nt chucked me out yet.. Is she nuts..or am I? Well, I bought her another...Result: 'same same'. However I woud certainly not recommend this course of action to any newcomers to Patters.

I am very happy with the condo I own and live in. Bought 2 others as investment, not so much. Sold 1 and will sell the other if the developers ever manage to marshall enough brainpower to actually install a juristic. At a (small) loss.

Well so far, I would say most are happy with what they have bought.

but early days yet !!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing that is missed about the buy or not to buy thing, as someone touched on.

If you have a Thai family or loved one, you get to leave them an asset after your demise.

its got to be better than a empty bank account.

saying that it can be a bit problematic if its a non Thai, like if you left it to family back home.

but not impossible to sort out.

Just myself, all assets in Thailand will go to Thai family if I die.

But not told the wife / Gig that one shock1.gifshock1.gifshock1.gifshock1.gifshock1.gif

Edited by onemorechang

When I made my first trip here to see a pal in 2009, I knew within two days that I wanted to live here in Thailand

For me to own, and live in a similar property to this in the UK, I would need to be a professionall footballer, (I'm way too old for that now)

Also the pool would be an ice skating rink for many months of the year

So aside from the usual trials and tribulations one has to accept here........

I still love waking up to sunshine almost every day, having a coffee, and then a dip in the pool

So yes....I am HAPPY

Edited by DD13

Jomtien isn't Pattaya. But carry on.

Ok, my mistake.

Have requested it be changed to just Happy property owners.

Are you a happy property owner ?

I would not invest money in Thailand period. Hang on will check my lottery tickets first( I would never buy tickets in Thailand. Over priced and under prized). I would have to be stupidly wealthy before even considering it. Read Amazing Thailand and watch some of the recent postings of smart men that invested here and their spouses forged their signatures (and lawyers notarized these phony signatures) and they proved it beyond a doubt and their still hung up in the legal system here. No Disneyland is not here yet but the system here is like Disney World.

Edited by elgordo38

My wife and I bought a house to use while were here on holiday. It is so much better than staying in a hotel for 4-5 weeks. I didn't buy it with any intention of making money. I have no regrets and the wife is happy too as its in her name. So yes I am very happy with it.

40% of respondents claim to have lost money in their property transactions in Pattaya which is significant. I wonder how they calculate that, did those people factor in the cost of rent money saved during the period of ownership or was it a loss from a straight buy/sell, if the latter did they buy to high or did they need to sell low urgently?

Do you expect the not happy crew to be posting here?. I look around a once hi-so farang gated community,empty,rented or just plain abandoned,they all know they lost a bundle,to admit all is too upsetting I guess,even one of the last few farangs left knows he is trapped,not a hope in hell of ever selling and getting anything like the money he paid back he looks on me as freedom I guess,as I look on the two week millionaires floating in and out as freedom,by definition I'm trapped by baggage.

SS Thailand is steadily heading for choppy waters,elections next year invariably bringing fresh turmoil,trade figures down and hurting while the worlds largest personnel debt mountain takes its toll,...taxes up.

The baggage will have to be sorted soon I'm getting toooo fed up being here, the Thai partner will have to be bought off,too difficult to get her into Spain/Portugal looking at the other threads,dogs Ive got will be coming with me,so that's it,would have thought all renters were happy campers,not so

i find it quite strange that some people consider the roof of their heads an "investment".

I dont.

As mentioned elsewhere, many people in the UK would rather buy somewhere to live in temporarily for just a year or so than rent as UK purchase costs are small but the possibility of capital appreciation is high (always depending on your location). Here the same is definitely not true.

I can also see many people opting for a particular house in a particular location because the potential for capital gain is higher. All other things being equal, why not?

Both of these strategies make an investment of your roof.

I always used to consider my houses in Europe as part of my capital, and I bought them in full consideration of their potential to increase in value (not that this was the only reason for buying them, nor would I have bought one I didnt like purely because it was a good investment). Here I did exactly the opposite: I discounted the purchase from my capital the moment it was made as I have little faith in it. If I (or my inheritors) get anything at all back from it I will consider it a bonus.

The fact that my last European property was worth more than 10 times what my condo here cost also has an influence on the way I look at them.

40% of respondents claim to have lost money in their property transactions in Pattaya which is significant. I wonder how they calculate that, did those people factor in the cost of rent money saved during the period of ownership or was it a loss from a straight buy/sell, if the latter did they buy to high or did they need to sell low urgently?

If you factor in the money saved by not renting you also have to factor in the money lost (interest, dividends, whatever) by not investing elsewhere. When I still rented my condo the interest I got elsewhere on the capital more than covered my rental payments.

As for buying too high and selling too low, that can happen to anyone here for whatever reason. But it is much less likely to happen in the UK, for example, where the market is much more fluid and transparent.