Regent's International School Pattaya

steve891

We are considering putting our child into Regent’s International School Pattaya (Year 4) and looking to hear from anyone who has or had their children there.

Good and bad reviews welcome. I already know the fee’s so looking to hear more about the quality of education given from the school.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by steve891

Looked at Regents. Looks nice, kids look happy but too expensive for me. No way I will go to St Andrews Green Valley - they want to give discounts that's great but shouldn't give discounts just to those parents who are you friends or who have power. I know that is true there I have seen the invoices. Hear Garden is quite school have you looked there?

Yes Regents are expensive, but they have some very good facilities. I’m just hoping that their education is as good as the school looks. Hence the reason for this post, trying to get some feedback from parents that have or had children there.

Yes I also hear Garden is good, but the distance is a bit far for us as is St. Andrews as we prefer to drive our son to school. I have a friend with his children in St Andrews and he speaks very highly of the school.

Good luck! I dont know any Regents familys who I can tell you about.

The problem with st andrews is that they give big discounts only to some parents to get them to stay. They give the same discounts they give to big companies if enough parents get together as a group. My Thai friend is one of them. Good luck to him but it should be for everyone. More parents at st andrews should demand the discounts so it is fair. BDJ

• 2 weeks later...

After an inspection and meeting with Regents we have had second thoughts and decided to keep our child in his current school. It might be worth moving there for secondary education but for primary years I can't see the benefits of paying an additional 200,000 baht per year more than our current school.

The schools website looks great with lots of good intentions for improving the school. If they ever get to implement them all then it might be worth it.

After an inspection and meeting with Regents we have had second thoughts and decided to keep our child in his current school. It might be worth moving there for secondary education but for primary years I can't see the benefits of paying an additional 200,000 baht per year more than our current school.

The schools website looks great with lots of good intentions for improving the school. If they ever get to implement them all then it might be worth it.

You (the OP) don't say what your child's current school is or why you were considering moving him to Regent's. Both of those are significant factors in evaluating your decision to keep your child in his current school. But if his current school is good and he is happy and doing well there, Regent's, primarily for the social attitudes it promotes (or at least does not discourage) is probably a move in the wrong direction for a young child. As you note, there may be advantages to Regent's for a child in high school, but that in large part depends on the child and your efforts/ability to develop good social attitudes at home.

We have a 5 year old in first grade at one of the international schools in the Pattaya area. We are generally satisfied with the school, but my child's teacher is not, in my view, competent and her attitude is not tolerable. She has, IMO, no business teaching young children. We are half way through the first term and my child appears to have learned nothing thus far this year. We would ask that my child change classes/teacher, but there is only 1 first grade class at her school, so we are "stuck", at least for now. I am considering the other schooling options for her for next year, but would not consider under any circumstances one of the Thai private schools with an English program. Our visit and examination of Mooltripakdee was extremely disappointing, and the clearly better schools like St Andrews in Rayong are just too far away for a young child. So, if we decide to move her, Regent's is really one of the only reasonable options/alternatives for us to consider, So, we are watching how things progress with my daughter at her present school, and if things do not improve move her to another school, which might very reluctantly be to Regent's. The schooling options in the Pattaya area are unfortunately not very good, so if your child is doing "ok" in his present school, he is probably best off where he is. A move to Regent's is very unlikely to improve things.

Our son is at Mooltripakdee ( MIS). He is doing ok and yes he is happy there with lots of good friends. But I believe he has the potential to do a lot better with the right school.

We have had him in Kumon for the last 2 or 3 years doing extra math's and Thai writing which has been very beneficial to him. He is very good with his math's. He would not be at the level he is with his math's just by going to MIS alone.

With MIS only going to year 8 or 9 he has to move to another school at some stage. So I thought he may as well make the move sooner rather then later to a school that he can go right the way through and finish his secondary schooling. That way he can settle into the school while he is still young and make some good friends. Instead of moving him in year 8 or 9 where he would still be settling in while finishing his secondary schooling.

As you mention.. the options in Pattaya for a good International school are limited. To move from MIS is will either be Regent's which is a convenient 10 min drive for us or the bus for St. Andrews goes past our house at 7am and comes back at 4pm. it's a long day but might end up being the option for us to go with.