My Retirement Visa

I'm in Jeddah Saudi Arabia. I want to retire in Thailand with my Thai wife to her house in Ubon Ratchathani. I'll be visiting Thailand in December for 3-4 weeks. I'd like to get it all settled then.

I'll be working in Saudi possibly/maybe until June 2016. Maybe going to the USA before Thailand for a visit/business. I'd like to get the visa in my passport so no matter were I am before I come to Thailand to retire I have it and don't need to think about it.....I suspect it will be a time of stress and I don't want to make a mistake.

I have 800,000.00 baht in my individual Bangkok Bank account. I have the bank book with me.

I'm assuming I go to the Royal Thai Consulate in Jeddah to get things started. What do I ask for? What do i need to bring? What do I do when I go to Thailand in December? Where do I do it Thailand?

Thanks for your advice

You can not obtain the normal non immigrant O-A visa for retirement unless a resident so would have to wait until you are in US for that (if you are US). It would also require medical certificate and police check paperwork and be valid for one year from issue date (multi entry).

As single entry visa for 90 day stay would only be valid for 90 days from issue you should probably wait awhile.

It seems your best option might be to get a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage to a Thai. The visa would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

That would take care of your entries until you can stay here long enough to get settled in and the apply for the one year extension based upon retirement. You could do it during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

Not sure you would be able to get a visa in Jeddah. Lots requirement to get any visa. See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/jeddah/th/services

If not you could get the visa in Savannakhet Laos across the river from Mukdahan. It is just a short trip from here in Ubon.

whistling.gif I can not tell you if TODAY you could get a non immigrant O multi entry one year visa for Thailand in Jeddah.

What I CAN say is that in 1978, I myself did get such a visa in The Thai consulate in Jeddah.

However, that was a long time ago and the visa regulations were very different then.

That was my first visa to Thailand and I spent a year in Thailand then "in between jobs" until 1979 when I went back to Saudi to work for another company.

At that time it was no problem, and I am a U.S. passport holder.

However, as I said above, things were very different then.

If you are talking about the O-A retirement visa, you will not be able to get that in Saudi, because it requires a medical check by a doctor and a police records check by your local police in the U.S.

You will only be able to get those in the U.S. to apply for an O-A retirement visa.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

the retirement visa is a good way to go... it's 400,000 more than the marriage visa but the paperwork is a little less and you don't/won't need to have your Thai wife with you on every visa renewal or if you need a reentry permit and didn't get one with your extension but the need for one comes up between renewals. the only big advice is don't forget to start your 90 day letters once you have been here that long no matter what the status of your visa (it seemed to me they make you visit the office several times to see that you will jump thru the hoops before you get your first full year full extension in Thailand). as for getting a non immigrant visa before entering Thailand... that should be real easy too.... but it's been too long since I had gone for mine so I won't advise on that.

Edited by maewang99

Why retirement and not a married visa/extension ?

Good question which do you recommend and why?
If your legally married go for the married visa you only need 400k in bank as opposed to the 800k for the retirement one of course the dip side of the married one is that if you get divorced your visa goes as well Edited by Soutpeel

It seems your best option might be to get a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage to a Thai. The visa would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

That would take care of your entries until you can stay here long enough to get settled in and the apply for the one year extension based upon retirement. You could do it during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

Not sure you would be able to get a visa in Jeddah. Lots requirement to get any visa. See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/jeddah/th/services

If not you could get the visa in Savannakhet Laos across the river from Mukdahan. It is just a short trip from here in Ubon.

If I understand this correctly your recommendation is to come in on a non O based on marriage to a Thai OR come in visa exempt and then get the non O in Savannakhet.

I've never had my USA marriage certified by the Thai ministry mof.

Will this cause a problem for me either in Jeddah or Savannakhet.?

If I understand this correctly your recommendation is to come in on a non O based on marriage to a Thai OR come in visa exempt and then get the non O in Savannakhet.

No idea about Jedda but should not be a problem in Savannakhet when accompanied by signed copies of your wife's Thai ID card and housebook.

Why retirement and not a married visa/extension ?

Good question which do you recommend and why?
If your legally married go for the married visa you only need 400k in bank as opposed to the 800k for the retirement one of course the dip side of the married one is that if you get divorced your visa goes as well
To do that

I think I need to get my marriage license to both the US embassy and the the mofa to use it. I haven't done that yet so its a little more difficult and requires trips to Bangkok.

Marriage extension would also require recording that paperwork at local district office after obtained. Extensions for marriage also require a month wait to obtain final approval so you have to plan travel around that. If funds are available retirement is the better option for extension.

Either type of extension requires a non immigrant O visa entry - but you can obtain that visa for marriage and use for retirement extension later. And as said it is also possible to convert but that is often more work than obtaining the visa before travel here.

Extensions are only available during the last 30 or 45 days of a 90 day visa entry so you can not do this on your December visit. Just plan to obtain a non immigrant O visa before your retirement - if a visit to US in cards at that time get there for marriage and then enter Thailand using that. In worst case you can just cross border to obtain once here so there is no need to worry about it.

Getting a non-o visa based upon marriage will be easier to get than one for being 50 or over. If not possible in Jeddah then enter visa exempt and get it in Savannakhet.

Most embassies and consulates will accept a marriage certificate from outside Thailand it it is in English.

Savannakhet will certainly accept it.

• 8 months later...

Update: I arrived in Thailand on June 13 without a visa. I'm living in Ubon. I need to go to Savannakhet to get an O Visa this week.

I think my terminology is probably incorrect but here goes my questions.

I think I can i apply for either the O based on retirement or married?

If I can do either ....who and what do I need to bring with me for each type?

I know within the first 60 days I'm supposed to change it at immigration but I'm confused about it.

Also I may have to leave Thailand by air for about two weeks around The end of June or beginning of July. Should i at some point be requesting an reentry permit.

Also I'm supposed to have some minor surgery I'm Bangkok on June 16.

Thanks again for your help. The time is finally here for me to do this and I'm still confused. Sorry about that. I've just got so much going On it's getting confusing.

You can get a single or multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet based upon marriage with no financial proof. One for being 50 or over for retirement would be difficult to get there.

For the non-o based upon marriage you will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, singed copies of your wife's house book register and ID card.

You can apply for an extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

You will need to apply for a single re-entry permit to keep the remainder of your 90 day entry valid when your return from your trip.

You can get a single or multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet based upon marriage with no financial proof. One for being 50 or over for retirement would be difficult to get there.

For the non-o based upon marriage you will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, singed copies of your wife's house book register and ID card.

You can apply for an extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

You will need to apply for a single re-entry permit to keep the remainder of your 90 day entry valid when your return from your trip.

Ok so I will go and apply for non-O based on marriage. I understand that.

Since I'm supposed to leave for a couple of weeks late June or early July should it be a single or multiple so it will be "active" when I return? Won't the single expire without a re-entry permit?

I have the original Marriage certificate issued from my state in the USA

Does the marriage certificate copy need to be signed?

Signed copies of my wife's house book register (all pages?) and front and back?? of her Thai ID card?

Shouldn't I apply for the re-entry permit before I leave the country in late June or early July ?

Thanks for the thorough and quick visit response.

Since I'm supposed to leave for a couple of weeks late June or early July should it be a single or multiple so it will be "active" when I return? Won't the single expire without a re-entry permit?

Signed copies of my wife's house book register (all pages?) and front and back?? of her Thai ID card?

Shouldn't I apply for the re-entry permit before I leave the country in late June or early July ?

Since you plan on getting an extension I suggest you get a single entry non-o visa (2000 baht) and then get a single re-entry permit (1000 baht). The fee for the multiple entry visa is 5000 baht,

All copies need to be signed. You can sign the marriage certificate. Your wife needs to sign the house book and ID card copies. You only need a copy of page one of the house book and the page where your wife is registered. They only want the front side of the ID card but you can do the back on the same sheet as the front if you want to.

You need to get the re-entry permit before leaving the country. You can get it at immigration at Ubon immigration in Sirindhorn or on departure from the country at both airports in Bangkok.

Since you plan on getting an extension I suggest you get a single entry non-o visa (2000 baht) and then get a single re-entry permit (1000 baht). The fee for the multiple entry visa is 5000 baht,

All copies need to be signed. You can sign the marriage certificate. Your wife needs to sign the house book and ID card copies. You only need a copy of page one of the house book and the page where your wife is registered. They only want the front side of the ID card but you can do the back on the same sheet as the front if you want to.

You need to get the re-entry permit before leaving the country. You can get it at immigration at Ubon immigration in Sirindhorn or on departure from the country at both airports in Bangkok.

I'll apply for a single entry non-O visa based on marriage for 2000 Baht.

When i need to leave later in the month I'll apply for a re-entry permit at the airport before leaving for 1000Baht.

I'll bring the original Marriage Certificate and I'll sign the copy.

I'll bring copies of my wife's ID signed by her.

I'll bring copies of my wife's house book first page and the page with her entry on it signed by her.

I believe I have an understanding what to do.

I don't need a photo of me?

Wheres the best place to get Lao money?

I'm planing on taking the bus from Mukdahan to the Savannakhet bus station.

My family have decided to come. Any nice hotel and restaurant recommendations? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks again for all the information.

When i need to leave later in the month I'll apply for a re-entry permit at the airport before leaving for 1000Baht.

I'll bring copies of my wife's house book first page and the page with her entry on it signed by her.

My family have decided to come. Any nice hotel and restaurant recommendations? Or any other suggestions?

You will need one photo for the Lao visa on arrival and 2 for the non-o visa application form.

Consulate visa form: Savannakhet 2501-01-31.PDF

Many people suggest the Avolon since it is close to the bus station and consulate.

You will need one photo for the Lao visa on arrival and 2 for the non-o visa application form.

Lao VOA form:

Consulate visa form:

Many people suggest the Avolon since it is close to the bus station and consulate.

Fantastic! I'll print out and fill out these forms before I leave.

I don't think my USA sized photos are correct for these forms.

Does everyone accept Thai Baht or is there a place to exchange the currency?

Thanks again.

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed quoting error by removing the excess and uneeded quotes only 4 are allowed

On currency, have US$ for the Lao visa and otherwise use either Thai baht or US$. You will end up with some Lao kip in change, but there is no real need to have any. The only exception is that you might be able to save a baht or two by using Lao kip for small purchases.

Lao VOA form:

Consulate visa form:

Fantastic! I'll print out and fill out these forms before I leave.

I don't think my USA sized photos are correct for these forms.

Does everyone accept Thai Baht or is there a place to exchange the currency?

Thanks again.

You probably could use the 2 X 2 inch photos you probably have for the Lao visa. But for the visa application at the consulate you will need the size shown on the form.

• 4 weeks later...

I need to convert my non O to either a marriage or retirement visa.

My passport is stamped admitted until August 30.

I was planning on beginning the process July 30 but now realize i must return to the USA (buying a reentry at the airport) approximately July 16 and will be there for an undetermined period of time I suspect 2-6 weeks.

Can I do the conversion now?

Advice on how to proceed would be appreciated . Thanks

I need to convert my non O to either a marriage or retirement visa.

My passport is stamped admitted until August 30.

I was planning on beginning the process July 30 but now realize i must return to the USA (buying a reentry at the airport) approximately July 16 and will be there for an undetermined period of time I suspect 2-6 weeks.

Can I do the conversion now?

Advice on how to proceed would be appreciated . Thanks

You will be applying for an extension of stay not doing a conversion to a visa of any kind.

It is to early to apply for the extension now. The earliest you can apply is 30 days or 45 at some offices.

The re-entry permit will keep the remainder of your 90 day entry valid when you return from your trip.

If you are not able to return prior to August 30th your best option would be to get a new non-o visa while you are in the states.

I'm going to El Paso TX so I just looked at the Houston consulate web site. They say they can't accept applications by mail. I can't go there. Where else would I be able to apply for another non O?

I'm going to El Paso TX so I just looked at the Houston consulate web site. They say they can't accept applications by mail. I can't go there. Where else would I be able to apply for another non O?

You could apply by mail to the embassy in Washington DC. See: http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-visa-category-o/

I've just read there website. They require 15 business days to process the visa.

I can't give up my passport for that long for two reasons. I'm not sure I'll be in the states 15 days and I'll have to give my passport up at some point while I'm there because the whole purpose of the trip is to get a visa for another country.

I'm wishing now I had Chosen a multiple when I got the O in Laos.