Thai PM informs UN’s Ban Ki-moon of reform roadmap

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai PM informs UN’s Ban Ki-moon of reform roadmap

BANGKOK 28 September 2015 (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has met with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to inform him of Thailand’s roadmap towards democracy.

According to Maj Gen Weerachon Sukondhapatipak, Deputy Spokesperson to the Prime Minister’s Office, the Prime Minister has assured the UN Secretary-General of Thailand’s adherence to its plan to restore stability to Thai society and its role as an effective member of the United Nations.

Gen Prayut also briefed Mr Ki-moon that subsequent to the rejection of the draft constitution, a new constitution drafting committee which will be appointed within 30 days will be tasked with drafting a new charter within 180 days; which is to be voted on by the public. Should the public vote to accept the new constitution, the country will proceed with the drafting of additional organic laws regarding the new elections which will likely be held during the middle of 2017.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-28 footer_n.gif

Election in mid-2017: Prayut
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's general election should be held in the middle of 2017, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha told United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon during their meeting on Sunday on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly.

Deputy Government Spokesman Veerachon Sukhontapatipak told Thai reporters today during the meeting, Prayut insisted that Thailand moved along the roadmap designed to strengthen Thai society, so that Thailand could be a more active partner to the UN.

Prayut also mentioned Thailand’s candidature for a non-permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council. Citing that all Asean nations endorsed the candidature, he said Thailand could bridge countries which are members and non-members of the council.

He also affirmed Thailand’s commitment to the UN Sustainability Goals, stressing the country’s focus on people-centred development.

Soucre: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Foreign-Ministry-launches-Thaiconsular-app-30269709.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-28

The election date keeps slipping.....eventually the natives will become reckless. I supported the junta at first but mid 2017 ( if it actually happens) is too late. Maybe they will find a way to limit voting rights to those who pay taxes lol.

They'll have to exclude VAT then otherwise all of the farang get a vote too. Edited by apetley

I'm sure Mr Moon can sleep well tonight after hearing that rolleyes.gif

Mr Moon, as you put it, is one of the worst if not the worst boss that the UN has had.

Whatever he feels or not feels is of no interest, as the guy is just a muppet.

No decision skills, no assertiveness, no charisma,.....

So in other words he and the General are cut from the same cloth and should fully understand each other!! ;)

Should the public vote to accept the new constitution, the country will proceed with the drafting of additional organic laws regarding the new elections which will likely be held during the middle of 2017.

And should they not, then back to the drafting board we go, again and again and again. News flash: Thailand to hold elections in the 3rd quarter of 2020

Edited by ldiablo

Mr Moon, as you put it, is one of the worst if not the worst boss that the UN has had.

So in other words he and the General are cut from the same cloth and should fully understand each other!! wink.png

Good grief, what planet do you live on ?.

I would say Prayuth has those qualities in spades. It's other parts of his character which let him down.

The description fits Yingluck like a glove.

So in other words he and the General are cut from the same cloth and should fully understand each other!! wink.png

I would say Prayuth has those qualities in spades. It's other parts of his character which let him down.

Which part let him down : selfishness? corruption? authoritarianism? Anti-thaksino-compulsive (you share this one with him, as you like to put some anti red rant in EVERY post you write, whatever the topic is) ? Lies? Absence of qualifications? Using ex-thaksin guy for the economy ( you have nightmares about this for sure) ?

The last decent Sec Gen was Dag Hammarskjold and that wasn't yesterday. No longer a merit based selection process.

So in other words he and the General are cut from the same cloth and should fully understand each other!! ;)
That's your way of putting words in my mouth. I disagree with your " in other words" . I meant exactly what I wrote, and your "in other words" is not accurate, and does not reflect my thoughts in any way. I was in no way referring to anyone else than Mr Moon.....your extension to someone else is your own imagination only.

The last decent Sec Gen was Dag Hammarskjold and that wasn't yesterday. No longer a merit based selection process.

Kofi Anan was a great one.

But but Yingluk/Thaksin/Redshirts etc. Try changing the record pal, you're a bore.

So you answered your own question as to why he has the job. Is the PM handing out copies of the so called road map to paradise?

Edited by elgordo38

Kofi Anan was a great one.
Donald Trump would be better! Edited by soihok

UNGA
Ban expresses concern over democracy to PM

SUPALAK GANJANAKHUNDEE
THE NATION
NEW YORK

30269755-01_big.jpg?1443477457878

Prayut assures implementation of road map will strengthen nation

BANGKOK: -- UNITED NATIONS secretary- general Ban Ki-moon has told Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha that he remains concerned over the shrinking democratic space in Thailand.

Prayut had a bilateral meeting with the UN chief yesterday on the sidelines of the UN summit for the adoption of the Post-2015 Development Agenda in New York.

It was the first UN meeting for the general who staged a military coup to topple an elected civilian government in May last year.

Freedom of expression has been restricted since the coup and many dissidents have been arrested for criticising the government and the junta.

Ban emphasised the need for the government to uphold freedom of speech and assembly, according to a UN statement.

Prime Minister Prayut and Secretary-General Ban also discussed the road map leading to a general election, which is now scheduled for July 2017, the statement said.

Prayut told the UN chief that implementation of the road map would strengthen Thailand, enabling the country to comply with its obligations as a UN member effectively, according to the government's deputy spokesman Werachon Sukondhapatipak.

The premier explained to Ban the need to delay an election as the draft constitution had been rejected by the National Reform Council, he said.

Ban expressed his condolences over the Erawan Shrine bombing in Bangkok which killed 20 people and wounded more than 100 in August.

He thanked Thailand for its leadership in addressing the recent refugee crisis in Southeast Asia and strongly encouraged Asean to discuss preventive measures to address the issue as thousands of Rohingya and Bangladeshis took dangerous boat trips in search of better lives in the region.

The UN chief congratulated Thailand on its election as chair of the G77 in 2016. He urged the country to further promote key issues of global relevance in this capacity, notably sustainable development and climate change.

Prayut has been in New York since last week to attend the development agenda summit, which wrapped up on Sunday, and the UN General Assembly which kicked off yesterday.

He delivered a speech at the conclusion of the development summit, in which the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development was adopted and placed people at its core.

"For people are the ultimate agents of change and hold the key to our sustainability. Our actions today will determine the survival of future generations," he said.

The challenge for sustainable development is inequality, he said, proposing that member nations address problems by having effective laws, recognising the intrinsic worth of each and every human being, creating an environment that enables and sustains development and cooperation with all countries.

"Thailand also aims to strengthen partnerships for development with our friends from outside the region through South-South and trilateral cooperation," he said.

Prayut yesterday had a corridor meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping and a bilateral meeting with Antigua and Barbuda President Gaston Browne. Antigua and Barbuda is a country encompassing its two namesake islands and several smaller islands. It is located where the Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean meet.

Meanwhile, nearly 500 Thais living in the US gathered in front of the UN headquarters for a second day to express their support for the Prayut government and asked him to stay on to reform the country before the election was held.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Ban-expresses-concern-over-democracy-to-PM-30269755.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-29

"Meanwhile, nearly 500 Thais living in the US gathered in front of the UN headquarters for a second day to express their support for the Prayut government and asked him to stay on to reform the country before the election was held."

I've read elsewhere (can't link it here due to forum rules) that it was 50 - 60 people. Not 500. And even that number was from the Thai press. I've yet to see anything about significant numbers of protesters from any foreign media outlet. If 500 Thais showed up outside the UN, I guarantee the US media would be all over it and analyzing it to death.

What's the bet that when the PM comes home there will be an official statement that Ban and every national leader he met understood the road map, fully supported what the govt is trying to do and congratulated the PM for returning peace and stability to the nation.