Honda PCX v Yamaha N Max

Just Curious

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the Toyota Vigo is far and away the highest selling pickup truck in Thailand, not Isuzu. Oh, and in case you didn't notice, most of Thailand is "agricultural".

"Agricultural" in motoring parlance means coarse, lacking refinement.

Your posts are factually inaccurate and simply wrong on all counts. Searching the internet, I cannot find a single reference to the use of the word "agricultural" when referring to a pickup truck in any way -- none. Had you said "industrial" (which I have used referring to the Isuzu pickup in another earlier thread when referring to its appearance) connoting "no frills, your post would at least be understandable -- nonetheless wrong. I am no fan of the Isuzu trucks, but they are certainly as "refined" as the other pickups in Thailand, and offer all of the creature comforts available from Toyota, Mitsu, Mazda, etc. And the Isuzu D-Max certainly is not the "most popular brand", which status goes to the Toyota Vigo by about 50% more sales than the Isuzu. Isuzu has a reputation like the Eveready Bunny -- it just keeps on going -- and for rural Thais (and many westerners living in Thailand)that is their primary consideration in deciding which truck to buy. And, IMHO, the same is true for the decision to buy a motorbike, which is why the Wave (at least as of 2103, which is the last information that I have) is the number 1 selling motorbike in Thailand -- people believe it is "indestructible".

He is not wrong, you are. Check the Oxford English dictionary. Agricultural can be used to describe something that lacks refinement, or put together badly, jumbled together, badly made etc.

eg. In places such as America or Australia, Isuzu is either non-existent or regarded as agricultural.

Jane's fashion sense is agricultural at best.

In a sporting context: John took an agricultural swing at the ball. ie clumsy

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/agricultural

I also think you completely miss his point.

While Honda is still good most here know that standards are falling and it's not what it used to be. General Motors used to have over 50% of vehicle sales in the US even though most of their cars were rubbish compared with a Toyota or Honda. It took many many years for people to realise this as they just followed what everybody else bought. Now Toyota is the number 1 brand in the US. General motors have finally caught on to the quality over quantity concept but unfortunately for them it's too late. Lets hope Honda doesn't go down the same route. Google NUMMI if you want to know more.

I drive since 6 years a Nouvo Elegance (53000 km). Never had any problems. Absolutely reliable and for me the best value for my money. Very fast and small enough to master the traffic in Pattaya. No parking problems and cheap spare part prices. If I could I would buy a new one.

For me the NMAX looks much better than the PCX. It has better technical data and its cheaper too.

Does anybody know if here in Pattaya exist the possibility to have a test ride? I asked already a few dealers, but no success.

Was in Mityon yesterday, Pattaya Tai/3rd Road, they had 3 NMAX's in the showroom. I saw them first in Indonesia, where they're made, a couple of weeks ago.

Prices there (in THB) were 60.000 without ABS and 68,000 with ABS so 10,000 cheaper than here.

Still, discs all round, variable valve timing, more power and bigger tank than than the PCX and only THB 2,000 more!

Nice to sit on in the shop, anyone driven one here yet?

Both very similar looking scooters. I don't know that Yamaha scooters are necessarily any less reliable than Honda; yes, the Fino is garbage, but their other scooters like the Mio and Nuovo are actually pretty good. I will say that Honda has a bit of an edge on service in that they have lots of service centers and they're generally pretty fast and inexcpensive. Also if the PCX has slightly bigger wheels that means the handling will be a bit more stable. However the Yamaha has a bit more power, and more importantly has ABS. If I were looking at buying one of these two scooters I think the ABS would tip the decision in Yamaha's favor.

Maybe the YNM 125 is more powerful in the real world than the PCX 150.

Maybe.

I'd like to see a drag race between the two with equal weight, 2-up configuration.

(Jack...?)

The TriCity 125 I had was surprisingly powerful.

But 13 inch wheels.

Ouch!

Was in Mityon yesterday, Pattaya Tai/3rd Road, they had 3 NMAX's in the showroom. I saw them first in Indonesia, where they're made, a couple of weeks ago.

Prices there (in THB) were 60.000 without ABS and 68,000 with ABS so 10,000 cheaper than here.

Still, discs all round, variable valve timing, more power and bigger tank than than the PCX and only THB 2,000 more!

Nice to sit on in the shop, anyone driven one here yet?

I've bought one and driven it briefly (in between showers). Initially very impressed, a smooth ride and it feels a bigger bike than my previous SX. I have not pushed it hard but you can feel there is a lot more power and the brakes seem very strong. Like the digital speedo as well and the seat is OK. Good value for money i think with ABS, 2 disc brakes and a high quality finish. We are lucky compared to the UK where they sell for 150,000 baht !!

I've been riding Japanese bikes for more than 30 years and the idea Honda are more reliable than Yamaha is poppycock. They're both outstanding bikes and i would not pick one over the other on account of reliability. I rode a 600 Fazer in london i bought 2nd hand with 22k miles on it for 5 years and took it well over 5o K. It was the most reliable bike i've ever had, and i've had many. I've spent the last 3 years riding a Nouveau Elegance and it's been a real pleasure to own. I picked the bike up as ex finance for 37k baht with negligible mileage (60 k baht new at the time). Honda's are very good too and i'm not going to knock them. I've had a few niggles with Suzuki and Kawasaki but you really can't go wrong with any of these brands.

So getting back to the initial question. I'd lean towards the Honda as it's tried and tested, but wouldn't necessarily give it the thumbs up, and certainly not for the reasons some posters have suggested here. I've rented PCX's and like the bike a lot. I particularly liked the forward foot "cruiserish" riding position but the Yamaha appears to offer the same. Here in Bangkok you can't throw a stone without hitting a service station that caters to Yamaha, so that would not even come into the equation. Also, my experience of Yamaha is such that i would expect it to be a great bike either way. i'd definitely want to test ride one before pulling the trigger though. New models often have quirks that have to be ironed out with updates, and the PCX is ready to go with confidence. There are also more aftermarket knick knacks for the PCX.

The resale issue is irrelevant, as the country is awash with used PCXs so used Yamahas will be sort after for some time to come. In fact, the Yamaha may well have the edge here for a year or so.

Buy the bike that appeals to you and enjoy it. At some point i shall likely move up to one of these two - or even the Forza - but i won't be basing my decision on the assumption that Honda have any meaningful edge over Yamaha. In my experience, they don't.

Maybe the YNM 125 is more powerful in the real world than the PCX 150.

Maybe.

I'd like to see a drag race between the two with equal weight, 2-up configuration.

(Jack...?)

The TriCity 125 I had was surprisingly powerful.

But 13 inch wheels.

Ouch!

We are talking scooters here, they are about practicality and ease of use and not speed IMO. I have a scoot and a "big bike" so I am not saying "size matters"

I wonder if anyone drag races tortoises? (Joke)

Right.

Not focused on speed, rather acceleration heavily laden,

which can be a consideration

in traffic or against gravity in hilly terrain.

IMO.

Tortoises, bullfrogs, rubber duckies, balloons...yes...among the things raced. (Seriously.)

Check out 1000cc vs. 125cc Mio on Youtube.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ridden both bikes and bought the Nmax 3 weeks ago. This is why...

More responsive handling.

More effective braking (double disc and the abs feels smooth).

Faster acceleration (leaves pcx behind and can keep up with a forza 300 up until the 100km/h mark, then the forza pulls away).

Faster top speed (I got 115km/h flat; 119km/h downhill).

Very stable feel due to the wider tyres.

Very strong suspension (can easily carry two heavy passengers; however, it is stiff and if anything the suspension is a little hard for one passenger under 100kilos / a softer suspension would be nicer for 1 up driving).

Fuel economy is about the same, but it has a smaller gas tank of 6.6l compated to 8.0l.

I'm delighted with my purchase, 80,300 with paperwork at Mityon Pattaya. The bike feels very modern, fun to drive, great on the highway and extremely smooth when cornering.

Both bikes are nice., you can't go wrong with either really, for me the Nmax is more dynamic and exciting to ride. My friend with the 2014 pcx felt the same way...I'm selling my Nouvo Elegance and to be fair, when getting back on that the Nouvo, it feels like a kids toy in comparison.

I've ridden both bikes and bought the Nmax 3 weeks ago. This is why...

More responsive handling.

More effective braking (double disc and the abs feels smooth).

Faster acceleration (leaves pcx behind and can keep up with a forza 300 up until the 100km/h mark, then the forza pulls away).

Faster top speed (I got 115km/h flat; 119km/h downhill).

Very stable feel due to the wider tyres.

Very strong suspension (can easily carry two heavy passengers; however, it is stiff and if anything the suspension is a little hard for one passenger under 100kilos / a softer suspension would be nicer for 1 up driving).

Fuel economy is about the same, but it has a smaller gas tank of 6.6l compated to 8.0l.

I'm delighted with my purchase, 80,300 with paperwork at Mityon Pattaya. The bike feels very modern, fun to drive, great on the highway and extremely smooth when cornering.

Both bikes are nice., you can't go wrong with either really, for me the Nmax is more dynamic and exciting to ride. My friend with the 2014 pcx felt the same way...I'm selling my Nouvo Elegance and to be fair, when getting back on that the Nouvo, it feels like a kids toy in comparison.

I've had a similar experience to ryydman. I sold my SX and got a NMAX. The bike is a massive improvement over the SX in every way (even though that was a good bike). It feels like a much bigger bike than just a scooter. Anyone who buys one will not be disappointed.

does anyone know if any one is renting the new nmax yet - I am about to buy and was leaning toward the PCX however I think that the NMax does have an edge technically here, and the last couple of posts have actually been helpful in so far as addressing the OP question - everything in between seems to be emotive blah blah

not too fussed about the Honda/Yamaha thing more interested in what works best after all a scooter is practical purchase not an emotional one for me (my emotional purchases are restricted to Ducati lol...)

Be nice if it wasn't so fat.

I'd be interested in they put that 150cc engine in a more stripped back, light, sporty and nimble scoot rather thank a chubby pcx clone. Nouvo SX150 please Yamaha.

Well, the NMax is 155 cc...

I had the Yamaha Nuovo first model for 7 years and liked it very much. It was the first of the big wheel 4 stroke scooters here and started the boom (after all those little 2 stroke 50cc secondhand things from Japan). The positioning of the headlight under the front basket meant you could use it without it blocking the light or shining back in your face at night.

I was interested in the PCX recently and only found out about the Nmax through replies to my post on here.

Yesteday i was able to sit on both Nmax and PCX and like the bigger seat of the PCX and general feel more.

The Rear disc is good and ABS on the Yamaha but the smaller wheels are not.

They asked 81k for the Yamaha but the Honda is 78K.

Be nice if it wasn't so fat.

I'd be interested in they put that 150cc engine in a more stripped back, light, sporty and nimble scoot rather thank a chubby pcx clone. Nouvo SX150 please Yamaha.

There's the Yamaha Exciter,150cc. 5 speed fully manual clutch,big wheels and 62,500. Basically a bigger better Spark,I think is has the same engine as the R15?.

I would skip these small tire bikes and go with the Honda SH150 if the rider is tall or heavy.

Way better ergonomics as it was designed for europeans, not the wimpy Thai sized guys.

Bigger shocks front and rear, rear disc brake, larger 16" wheels/tires, more comfortable and 2 HP more than PCX.

It's the only scooter for the bigger riders. Even the Forza 300 is really cramped with the tall riders knees up near the handlebars.

I would skip these small tire bikes and go with the Honda SH150 if the rider is tall or heavy.

Way better ergonomics as it was designed for europeans, not the wimpy Thai sized guys.

Bigger shocks front and rear, rear disc brake, larger 16" wheels/tires, more comfortable and 2 HP more than PCX.

It's the only scooter for the bigger riders. Even the Forza 300 is really cramped with the tall riders knees up near the handlebars.

They stopped to sell the SH150 in Thailand.

117 k/hr tested on U tube, stock.

Well that's is it then. Now Youtube become the new scientific oracle.

Can one assume it was the speedo readout has been tested against GPS. Could you tell on YouTube if the road had a slight downhill slope? No. Even GPS can be fooled by a slope!

117 k/hr tested on U tube, stock.

Well that's is it then. Now Youtube become the new scientific oracle.

Can one assume it was the speedo readout has been tested against GPS. Could you tell on YouTube if the road had a slight downhill slope? No. Even GPS can be fooled by a slope!

"New scientific oracle"

Ha ha , good one!

Second only to google, youtube is the most searched engine.

People are such fools.

See post 44 for report of top speed indicated.

(All the speed indicators on bikes seem very optimistic.)

Oh, could you please refer me to a website where 100% reliable info is available?

Thanks in advance.

Archived