Honda PCX v Yamaha N Max

Just Curious

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i thought if you read it on the internet it was correct…..

so stopped to sell the SH150 does that mean that they no longer sell it here or something else

There's a black one in the Honda shop down from the Phi Chit market. New with no plates, so if you want a new one you now know were one is!

I had a look at the Nmax today and those 13" wheels look mighty small! But other wise I thought it was good.

so stopped to sell the SH150 does that mean that they no longer sell it here or something else

There's a black one in the Honda shop down from the Phi Chit market. New with no plates, so if you want a new one you now know were one is!

I had a look at the Nmax today and those 13" wheels look mighty small! But other wise I thought it was good.

just read some reviews looks ok, where is Phi Chit

still new to the scooter gig - so the small wheels are a problem is that right?

Only in people's imaginations... it's a myth that never seems to go away. Some people swear by it and others, like myself, never had any issues at all with those "terribly small wheels" - also we enjoy the better turn radius and such. I love Scoopy, Vespa, never any issues.

Once you go off road, once you hit the jungle paths, that changes - then you need bigger wheels. Honda Dream / Wave is very practical there. Dirt bikes have 21" wheels which is super useful in gnarly terrain. On the road it hardly matters, and it comes with downsides.

I wonder why they called in NMAX when PCY would have been the obvious name choice... smile.png

That said more choices are never a bad thing. I like the styling of the grand filano - I actually thought that was their PCX competitor, but guess I was wrong.

still new to the scooter gig - so the small wheels are a problem is that right?

Only in people's imaginations... it's a myth that never seems to go away. Some people swear by it and others, like myself, never had any issues at all with those "terribly small wheels" - also we enjoy the better turn radius and such. I love Scoopy, Vespa, never any issues.

Once you go off road, once you hit the jungle paths, that changes - then you need bigger wheels. Honda Dream / Wave is very practical there. Dirt bikes have 21" wheels which is super useful in gnarly terrain. On the road it hardly matters, and it comes with downsides.

I wonder why they called in NMAX when PCY would have been the obvious name choice... smile.png

That said more choices are never a bad thing. I like the styling of the grand filano - I actually thought that was their PCX competitor, but guess I was wrong.

Agree. I like the looks of the Filano and the Scoopy.

A copy of the Vespa, that has done very, very well with their small wheels, even on those cobblestone roads in Italy.

Also noted, the small wheels will often translate to more under seat storage.

I have the 16" wheels but hopped on a girlfriends Scoopy the other day. More fun around town with the flickable, small bike for sure.

My Nouvo Elegance with the new one size larger low profile PIrelli tires on it will easily out turn and out handle any Yamaha Filano, Vespa, Scoopy or Yamaha Fino. The overall performance of this bike for Pattaya conditions is simply fabulous. And I know all about Yamaha Filanos because I bought one for my girlfriend and I must admit that I drive this bike every now and then because I almost feel sorry for it and I don't want to hurt her feelings. Don't get me wrong, the Filano is a very charming cute little thing that is well put together. It's just that all these scooters with floorboards are very inferior to underbones such as the Yamaha Nouvos, Airblades, PCX's, Honda Waves, etc. And even those small wheels won't turn as quickly as the 16's of my Elegance with the kind of premium tires I put on it. ANyway, I haven't come here to repeat what I keep having to say over and over and over again about such inferior bikes as Scoopies and Vespas, Filano's, Mios. I came here to talk about the new Yamaha N-Max compared to the Honda PCX.

First off the Honda PCX does not deserve my slings and arrows such as the other bikes I mentioned above. It is absolutely first rate. But in spite of having more than enough money to be replacing my 8 year old Yamaha Elegance with the PCX I am still riding my "antiquated carburated Nouvo Elegance" which I deem to be even better than a PCX for the driving I do in this area (Pattaya). But now comes the NMAX, and this time I'm really tempted to trade in my Elegance for this newest Yamaha offering. I think it's a superior choice to the Honda PCX 150. And this in spite of the NMAX's 13 inch wheels.

If I had the time I'd go back to that you tube video I recently studied that shows all the bracing Yamaha put into this NMAX and I have to say that I am really impressed. For those who love Honda 150 SHI's with their floorboards, these bikes regardless of what all the positive reviews have to say about them do not begin to have all that "expensive" bracing this new Yamana NMAX has. So in spite of my aversion to small wheels, I would have to trust Yamaha on this one....that is the overall superior engineering and structural integrity of the new NMAX does not allow the 13 inch wheels to detract much from the performance of this bike.

One of the biggest problems I have with the PCX is it appears to be nose heavy. It seems too wide in the front end and larger bikes such as the Honda Forza and SYm 400 seems godawfully ungainly and cumbersome. They look like boats but I suppose they are okay for most Americans who have grown to bloated proportions through the years and who are rapidly being followed by the rest of the world. So when you compare this heavy front ended look of the PCX to such elephants, it's really not all that bad. But.....the new Yamaha NMAX does not suffer from this same styling miscue committed by Honda. THe bike appears narrower even though it's not, and when you sit on it, it seems significantly more compact and narrow than the PCX. And it does weigh around 10 pounds less than the PCX. Its 155 c.c. engine also produces around 10 percent more power than the PCX 150 does.

The NMAX is I think a very attractive bike. More so than the PCX I think. And it's got about 30 percent more horsepower than my Nouvo Elegance has. My previous bike the Nouvo MX 115 had about 30 % less power than my Elegance has so I think moving up to a Yamaha NMAX would show the same very noticeable power increase as my moving up from the 115 c.c. MX to the 135 Elegance. But the Elegance is still very fast in the kind of conditions most of us encounter everyday here. ANd I think it's going to be just about impossible to find anything that can offer its absolutely exquisite handling.

If anyone here knows much about skiing, this is like comparing a GS ski to a slalom ski such as was being offered twenty or thirty years ago when I was doing a lot of skiing. I always bought racing skis..that is high performance skis that can really go fast because I liked to ski fast. GS or Grand slalom skis are designed to perform best at higher speeds whereas Slalom skis tend to feel unstable at speeds where a GS ski feels stable. Most of the best skiers in my ski club eventually went to Slalom skis in long lengths of 200 to 205 centimeters. These were long enough to perform well in a variety of conditions and could still enable us to go really fast for absolute speed due to their length. And although they were not the best skis for skiing in the bumps or moguls, being slalom skis they could turn quickly enough to still perform well in the bumps. But you had to stay on top of a set of high performance slalom skis...much more so than a set of slower turning GS skis. Make a mistake and they'd go out from under you right now. Not good for beginning skiers.

That's the difference between the likes of the PCX and a Nouvo Elegance. The PCX is designed to feel stable at relatively high speeds (like a GS ski) whereas a Nouvo SX or Nouvo Elegance is designed to be very quick in the turns like a fine racing slalom ski. BUt it can still "go fast"--it just won't feel as stable doing it. Both GS and Slalom skis were designed to be high performance skis but they were each intended for a different type of racing. But as for all those bikes with floorboards....they just don't have the right stuff. Driving a Honda Click or Yamaha Filano is akin to skiing the bunny slopes on a set of 150 centimeter long beginners skis. As for myself right now I still have a lot of nostalgia left in me. I'm too old now to ski like I used to and I am living 7000 miles away from the mountains I used to ski on but I still like the feel of a pair of very high performance slalom skis under me, so I'm still not up to trading in my Nouvo Elegance just yet.

My Nouvo Elegance with the new one size larger low profile PIrelli tires on it will easily out turn and out handle any Yamaha Filano, Vespa, Scoopy or Yamaha Fino. The overall performance of this bike for Pattaya conditions is simply fabulous. And I know all about Yamaha Filanos because I bought one for my girlfriend and I must admit that I drive this bike every now and then because I almost feel sorry for it and I don't want to hurt her feelings. Don't get me wrong, the Filano is a very charming cute little thing that is well put together. It's just that all these scooters with floorboards are very inferior to underbones such as the Yamaha Nouvos, Airblades, PCX's, Honda Waves, etc. And even those small wheels won't turn as quickly as the 16's of my Elegance with the kind of premium tires I put on it. ANyway, I haven't come here to repeat what I keep having to say over and over and over again about such inferior bikes as Scoopies and Vespas, Filano's, Mios. I came here to talk about the new Yamaha N-Max compared to the Honda PCX.

First off the Honda PCX does not deserve my slings and arrows such as the other bikes I mentioned above. It is absolutely first rate. But in spite of having more than enough money to be replacing my 8 year old Yamaha Elegance with the PCX I am still riding my "antiquated carburated Nouvo Elegance" which I deem to be even better than a PCX for the driving I do in this area (Pattaya). But now comes the NMAX, and this time I'm really tempted to trade in my Elegance for this newest Yamaha offering. I think it's a superior choice to the Honda PCX 150. And this in spite of the NMAX's 13 inch wheels.

If I had the time I'd go back to that you tube video I recently studied that shows all the bracing Yamaha put into this NMAX and I have to say that I am really impressed. For those who love Honda 150 SHI's with their floorboards, these bikes regardless of what all the positive reviews have to say about them do not begin to have all that "expensive" bracing this new Yamana NMAX has. So in spite of my aversion to small wheels, I would have to trust Yamaha on this one....that is the overall superior engineering and structural integrity of the new NMAX does not allow the 13 inch wheels to detract much from the performance of this bike.

One of the biggest problems I have with the PCX is it appears to be nose heavy. It seems too wide in the front end and larger bikes such as the Honda Forza and SYm 400 seems godawfully ungainly and cumbersome. They look like boats but I suppose they are okay for most Americans who have grown to bloated proportions through the years and who are rapidly being followed by the rest of the world. So when you compare this heavy front ended look of the PCX to such elephants, it's really not all that bad. But.....the new Yamaha NMAX does not suffer from this same styling miscue committed by Honda. THe bike appears narrower even though it's not, and when you sit on it, it seems significantly more compact and narrow than the PCX. And it does weigh around 10 pounds less than the PCX. Its 155 c.c. engine also produces around 10 percent more power than the PCX 150 does.

The NMAX is I think a very attractive bike. More so than the PCX I think. And it's got about 30 percent more horsepower than my Nouvo Elegance has. My previous bike the Nouvo MX 115 had about 30 % less power than my Elegance has so I think moving up to a Yamaha NMAX would show the same very noticeable power increase as my moving up from the 115 c.c. MX to the 135 Elegance. But the Elegance is still very fast in the kind of conditions most of us encounter everyday here. ANd I think it's going to be just about impossible to find anything that can offer its absolutely exquisite handling.

If anyone here knows much about skiing, this is like comparing a GS ski to a slalom ski such as was being offered twenty or thirty years ago when I was doing a lot of skiing. I always bought racing skis..that is high performance skis that can really go fast because I liked to ski fast. GS or Grand slalom skis are designed to perform best at higher speeds whereas Slalom skis tend to feel unstable at speeds where a GS ski feels stable. Most of the best skiers in my ski club eventually went to Slalom skis in long lengths of 200 to 205 centimeters. These were long enough to perform well in a variety of conditions and could still enable us to go really fast for absolute speed due to their length. And although they were not the best skis for skiing in the bumps or moguls, being slalom skis they could turn quickly enough to still perform well in the bumps. But you had to stay on top of a set of high performance slalom skis...much more so than a set of slower turning GS skis. Make a mistake and they'd go out from under you right now. Not good for beginning skiers.

That's the difference between the likes of the PCX and a Nouvo Elegance. The PCX is designed to feel stable at relatively high speeds (like a GS ski) whereas a Nouvo SX or Nouvo Elegance is designed to be very quick in the turns like a fine racing slalom ski. BUt it can still "go fast"--it just won't feel as stable doing it. Both GS and Slalom skis were designed to be high performance skis but they were each intended for a different type of racing. But as for all those bikes with floorboards....they just don't have the right stuff. Driving a Honda Click or Yamaha Filano is akin to skiing the bunny slopes on a set of 150 centimeter long beginners skis. As for myself right now I still have a lot of nostalgia left in me. I'm too old now to ski like I used to and I am living 7000 miles away from the mountains I used to ski on but I still like the feel of a pair of very high performance slalom skis under me, so I'm still not up to trading in my Nouvo Elegance just yet.

Just a scooter. They are all pretty good, basic transportation. A different size wheel, frame or 2 more HP won't be making any dramatic differences.

Floorboard scooters are the way to go for running around town. Just returned from the quick mart with 12 litres of drinking water.

Maybe the floorboard bikes have some drawbacks if you are taking them to the track or riding "like you stole it."cheesy.gif

I trust the engineers at Vespa, Honda, Yamaha to design their floorboard bike frames to withstand daily use. Never heard of one bending in half.

Not too sure that Nouvo Elegance, with the fat tires and turns "like a high performance, fine racing ski" would make it UP any bunny slopes.blink.png

Wow you guys both are right,

although if papa stole a bike he would drive sensibly so as not to attract undue attention and for safely.

My fav mech is a master at bending scooters back into serviceable configuration.

I can show you the remains of some folded beyond help though.

Usually forks will fail before frame in a severe scooter vs pot-hole event.

It's all part of the same Thai retail help school training: "Mai mee" "no hap", "Finit". In the more sophisticated shops the use: "stop to sell".

What it means is: "go away farang. I not speak barbarian english" The Thais are going to get their asses kicked when ASEAN becomes a reality. Their English skills rank near the bottom in every study. Thai xenophobia is going to cost them billions.

Stopped at a light today papa saw Nmax155 do a sweeping turn across.

Black w silver.

Looked much nicer than PCX.

They've got 2 N-max's at Yamaha Square in Kanchanaburi,a white one and that black/silver combo.

Both look good),plus with twin discs and ABS a very handy safety feature.

Not sure of those 13'' wheels are that bad?,I would prefer larger but not a deal breaker if I wanted a auto scooter.

NMax has a lot going for it and I thought the inclusion of ABS was a good move until I saw the 13inch wheels. On the other hand, the tires are way fatter which would tend to compensate for the reduced diameter.

I have had 2 Yamaha Nouvos in recent years, both great bikes had 16inch wheels with the standard somewhat skinny tires which were fine around town, if not a little rough handling but both were a bit dodgy on the open road and do not handle undulations, potholes very well, as you would probably expect. First Nouvo was the Elegance 135 bought New and the last one was a used MX 115 with 30K on the clock and I swear the MX was quicker off the mark and capable of 110k/hr top speed. I loved that bike but no longer have it as I dropped by the dealer I got it from and fell instantly for a shiny Honda Repsol 300 with 950kms on the dial and a price well below what Honda ask for new. Considering I didnt pay a heck of a lot more than a new NMax, I possibly made the right choice..17inch wheels and ABS that barely fliches at potholes at high speed, not that I hit that many, just saying.

For the record, I came across the stat that Honda have 70% of the bike market in Thailand and my experience trying to sell or trade a Nouvo was Yamaha shops down south generally dont want to know and forget about a trade on a Honda as they either laugh at you or call an independendant dealer who will offer you not much at all.

Stopped at a light today papa saw Nmax155 do a sweeping turn across.

Black w silver.

Looked much nicer than PCX.

They've got 2 N-max's at Yamaha Square in Kanchanaburi,a white one and that black/silver combo.

Both look good),plus with twin discs and ABS a very handy safety feature.

Not sure of those 13'' wheels are that bad?,I would prefer larger but not a deal breaker if I wanted a auto scooter.

They've sold both!.

Just had a go on the NMax, all I can say is wow, soooooo comfortable, I think Honda have got serious competition, never driven the PCX but I have sat on one many times and it's no way in the same comfort league as the NMax, I'm off to Yamaha to order mine.

Just had a go on the NMax, all I can say is wow, soooooo comfortable, I think Honda have got serious competition, never driven the PCX but I have sat on one many times and it's no way in the same comfort league as the NMax, I'm off to Yamaha to order mine.

Here we go again....

That's some quality trolling

I took a test drive of the NMAX two days ago. It is a very nice bike/scooter... Good acceleration - smooth braking with the ABS system. The sparse and somewhat small instrument panel that is totally blank until you start it up is a bit disconcerting ... they should have made it bigger and had some markings visible without starting. Most new issue bikes should have things like a built in USB charging port for phones. The makers are just a bit behind the curve on things like this. But the instrument panel and lack of up to date accessories like the USB port are not deal breakers. I thought the ride was a bit stiff but I am used to rental bikes that have gone soft. Upon acceleration the left mirror vibrated badly - but I think this was due to the previous test driver dropping the bike at low speed when a truck decided to take a blind side right of way. The bike had a few scratches and maybe affected the mirror. Also about the mirror - vision was good - and for a big guy this is important - I hate the rent bikes because I have to move my arm out of the way to see well - not with the NMAX I had a great unobstructed view. However I do have to say that the mounting rods for the mirrors looked kinda slim ... I would probably replace the mirrors just to get more sturdy mounting brackets and rods.

I am likely to buy this bike - two reasons ... I want good acceleration due to my size (rent bikes of 125 struggle a bit) and the ABS braking is a winner for a large fellow like me -- stop quickly and smoothly without hesitation with the ABS brakes -- (front and rear disks). The 6 liter gas / petrol tank was a nice feature and with the fill cap not under the seat. I don't have to worry at night as I park my bike in a gate locked patio / porch.

The seat was fine but I would like a small back rest such as found on the Forza or MaxSym machines. I may also opt for some hard case saddle bags and not choose the awful looking bubble carry case as seen so often.

That's it - my opinion.

USB not a problem, I am having 12v power outlet installed under the seat which is for an air compressor also phone charger, my Click seat is awful but the NMax is just great, I'm big with long legs, no problem stretching them out, Givi top box on the back and I'm ready for my Cha am trip this coming December.

Here we go again....

Please expand on your post as its confusing?

Here we go again....

Alwayssunny & Dogpoo.

Here we go again....

Alwayssunny & Dogpoo.

Who? enlighten us all and expand with more information, if you can't then post elsewhere!

Archived