Whitening Craze: Chlorine soap hits the Thai market

webfact

Whitening Craze: Chlorine soap hits the market
By Coconuts Bangkok

chrlorine.jpg
Photo: Kraisorn Thongpliw, CL Soap

BANGKOK: -- For women who put vanity before health (and there are a lot of you), injecting a skin whitening substance into your bloodstream is so last year. Now Thai ladies can use a chlorine soap, which is a new whitening fad where women rub and scrub their skin with chlorine to keep it pale. Yes, chlorine.

The chlorine soap, which actually contains calcium hypochlorite, otherwise known as the substance used to sanitize water in swimming pools, is a hit on the internet as its makers claim it helps to whiten skin and reduces the accumulation of bacteria within 1-2 weeks.

The soap is sold online for about THB90.

Thai society commonly depicts pale skin as beautiful, so who doesn’t want to give this a try?

Except it could potentially damage your eyes, according to Kasetsart University’s Dr.Weerachai Phutdhawong, who ran a test from samples of the different chlorine soap in the market.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/09/29/whitening-craze-chlorine-soap-hits-market

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-09-29

And the Thai FDA approves this use?

Let's see what the #1 chemistry faculty has written about it:

"Causes severe skin burns"

"Wear protective gloves and clothing"

"In case of skin contact, immediately flush with running water for 15 minutes. Wash off with soap and plenty of water."

Well, at least they got the soap part covered.

http://www.cchem.berkeley.edu/rsgrp/SOPs2013/CalciumHypochlorite_Sarpong.pdf

The belief of white skin being central to beauty or desirability seems to be or has become a nearly universal, global meme. I'm sure many would disagree but my observation is that it is true. It cannot have been everso because there were millenniums when different skin toned people were unaware of one another.

It scares the hell out of me to think of the skin cancer rate in a decade or so. Skin whiteners are all oxidants..known carcinogens.

I really like Thai people. Seeing Marketing leading them down the primrose path is like watching American TV commercials....for a slightly more vulnerable group.

The belief of white skin being central to beauty or desirability seems to be or has become a nearly universal, global meme. I'm sure many would disagree but my observation is that it is true. It cannot have been everso because there were millenniums when different skin toned people were unaware of one another.

So is it time for me to venture to the Costa del Sol to update my premium tan?

Her face at first just ghostly turned a whiter shade of pale...

I cannot understand why Thai girls with a beautiful brown complexion can possibly think they are more attractive walking around looking like Coco the clown. European girls spend a fortune trying to look like you, brown to black is beautiful.

While I think their natural skin colour is much more beautiful than being messed with chemicals, from a chemistry point of view this is very misleading. Chlorine is a gas. Calcium Hypochlorite becomes Hypochlorous acid when introduced to water, and does not produce chlorine. This is no different than swimming in a pool that has 'pool shock' introduced, and is anti-microbial. The packaging for the soap should be illegal though, as it doesn't represent the content.

It's a bit like table salt being Sodium Chloride, but if you asked someone to eat Sodium metal and breath Chlorine, people would think you're insane. Subtle molecular differences of clusters of atoms can be very very different in their behaviour.

Edited by Shiver

Her face at first just ghostly turned a whiter shade of pale...

I cannot understand why Thai girls with a beautiful brown complexion can possibly think they are more attractive walking around looking like Coco the clown. European girls spend a fortune trying to look like you, brown to black is beautiful.

They're hunting for the rich Sino-Thai men, who need to have a harem of pale white ghosts to be able to show their women don't need to get out of the house to work. I'm just surprised they haven't started binding their feet yet.

It scares the hell out of me to think of the skin cancer rate in a decade or so. Skin whiteners are all oxidants..known carcinogens.

I really like Thai people. Seeing Marketing leading them down the primrose path is like watching American TV commercials....for a slightly more vulnerable group.

Speaking about the dangers of chlorine;

http://www.lightparty.com/Health/DangersOfChlorine.html

Why do these people want to change , aren't they happy with what they have got , I've seen them with pegs on their nose to look like a foreigner, these people have a problem and when they are 70, back in the paddy fields on the Prayut - O pension scheme , trying to survive, it wont mean a dam thing.coffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong

I am investing all of my savings in white spray paint.

With proper marketing and a change of labels....

I will make a fortune in Thailand!

Use SPRAY-WHITE

For a beautiful light complexion, every day!

post-147745-0-39148600-1443525761_thumb.

It's fast,

It's easy

and, it is white!

Try some today!

Edited by willyumiii