PM in New York: Some reflected glory, some casual meets

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
PM in New York: Some reflected glory, some casual meets

SUPALAK GANJANAKHUNDEE
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- PRIME Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha wrapped up his first mission to the United Nations General Assembly today but cannot claim any achievement in terms of international recognition from the foreign community after the trip.

Thailand, in the world's eyes, is the same as it was last week when Prayut left home for New York.

During his attendance at the UN events, Thailand won its bid to chair the Group of 77, the largest inter-government body for developing countries in the UN system.

But the chairmanship could not be regarded as an international achievement for Prayut since his government did nothing to help win the position. The idea had been built up within the diplomatic loop in the Foreign Ministry for a considerable period of time. International credit, if any, should be given to the head of the Thai mission to the UN in New York, who put in the effort to gain the endorsement of the 77 nations in this 51-year-old UN bloc.

Judging from what he told reporters at the UN, Prayut is unlikely to have understood anything much about the Group of 77 and the role of the Chair. He said Thailand was elected as chair of the group because the country succeeded in development. However, taking the chairmanship had nothing to do with any stage of development at home.

But the chairmanship will be a test and challenge for Thai diplomats. If the Thai team can perform, it will elevate the country's international status. Prayut can make a contribution to the role if he gives proper policies and instructions to the team working with the Group 77 during the 2016 term.

One good thing happened to Prayut in New York, but the junta at home almost ruined it.

While Prayut took the stage to receive the Global Sustainable Digital Development Award from the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), his administration at home was mulling the enforcing of a single gateway to control information from the digital world. If the Thai junta goes ahead with this idea, ITU might need to recall the award.

During his time in New York, the Thai premier was invited to join many UN functions and receptions, none of them very special. He did not perform well at his first reading speech delivered in Thai language at an interactive dialogue on ending poverty and hunger on September 25. His fan club in high society was a bit upset by his presentation style, although they were aware Prayut is not fluent in English. At home, Prayut used to look down on the previous premier for reading only from prepared speeches.

Prayut held many bilateral meetings with foreign counterparts from small and not so well known countries such as Antigua and Barbuda, an island state in the Caribbean, Fiji of the South Pacific, the Czech Republic and Tajikistan - to introduce himself and ask support for Thailand's bid for a seat as non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.

Among major powers of the world, Prayut met only with Chinese President Xi Jinping, with whom he is already familiar, in a corridor of the General Assembly building. He had opportunities to see US President Barack Obama and Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe during reception parties.

Prayut spent his time in New York mostly at the UN building and the hotel where he and his delegation stayed near the UN headquarters. He visited the 9/11 memorial in downtown New York on September 26 - but needed to float misinformation to deceive a Thai red-shirt group who gathered in front of the UN to protest against him.

His public relations team did not want the PM to be humiliated by the anti-government group. Prayut needed to order his favourite beef steak to his room at the hotel, rather than sit in a famous restaurant nearby the hotel. He wished to avoid public appearances as many Thais walk around these areas of New York City. Pro-government groups of Thais in the US helped to save him by organising a three-day demonstration of support in front of the UN. They were there to tell the world that while Thailand has a military regime, [for the time being] democracy does not matter.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/PM-in-New-York-Some-reflected-glory-some-casual-me-30269839.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-30

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn't leave the hotel in case he bumped into other Thais. Went to a party where Barack Obama also spent some time, but did however meet with the leader of Barbuda. Paid some supporters to tell the world that 'democracy does not matter' A big round of applause.

So while accepting the ITU award and all the while thinking ehhhh, ummmm, if only they knew what we have planes for a single gateway so as to control the internet, hehehehe I wonder if they'll want the award back after they find out what we're up to???

Now that's integrity isn't it, kinda like the BIB getting 2 cash rewards for doing their job claiming the case is solved and it's no where now solved...

Thainess???

Even cold shouldered by Communist China President to a meeting in a corridor of the UN building. It's tough at the top of the Diplomatic Tree, but then again the PM wouldn't know, he has no Diplomatic experience whatsoever.

You only have to look at his handling of the deportation of the Uighurs to Communist China and the ensuing Bangkok bombing.

An ex-military man totally out of his depth and rather than lose face, blames everyone else for his gross incompetence and autocratic military style.

As with others, I am anxiously awaiting all the "glowing reports" of what he accomplished, and how impressed the entire UN was with him. One reporter, I think it was with the Times, but not sure, stated that Prayut, during his 8 minute speech, spoke in a manner that had most of the interpreters looking at each other trying to figure out what the hell he was saying. Yeah, good job General. NOT!

I still find it difficult to see the word PM, when he is a retired army man

Some had the same feeling with an active businessman turning PM, or staying in the land of possibilities a retired general turning president, or even a former actor turning into one.

So while accepting the ITU award and all the while thinking ehhhh, ummmm, if only they knew what we have planes for a single gateway so as to control the internet, hehehehe I wonder if they'll want the award back after they find out what we're up to???

Now that's integrity isn't it, kinda like the BIB getting 2 cash rewards for doing their job claiming the case is solved and it's no where now solved...

Thainess???

Maybe President Obama gave him some contacts in the NSA to help snooping without the need to move to a single Internet Gateway?

rubl why are you always incessantly in these threads defending the PM to the absolute hilt? This so called 'strong' leader of Thailand coward in his hotel room in case he bumped into a Thai that he couldn't 'attitude adjust' because he is out of his little article 44 bubble and terrified of being brought to question over his oppressive policies (oh and praising old policies from the bogeyman in Dubai that he was chastising but a few months ago)

I expect a token "but.but...THAKSIN" post from you or "USA is evil rahhh!" or something similar in rebuttal. The PM had a nightmare just accept it.

Thainess???

Maybe President Obama gave him some contacts in the NSA to help snooping without the need to move to a single Internet Gateway?

That would be too sensible for these idiots... but no they prefer to brute force a single gateway. Edited by kmj

The Nation article is completely one sided because they do not like the Junta or the General as they have already been warned of their attitude. I listened to the General give his comments in Thai and I was impressed by his delivery which was much different when he speaks Thai to Thai reporters. I was also impressed by his decorum and the way he greeted and interacted with others while in New York. I am not impressed with the firewall concept that has been put forth by the cabinet. I doubt this will go forward and when the Prime Minster returns we shall see that idea scrapped. I still say give the man some room to succeed. The criticism of him is way over the top. I din't hear Obama give his speech in Thai or the Pope give his in English.

The Nation article is completely one sided because they do not like the Junta or the General as they have already been warned of their attitude. I listened to the General give his comments in Thai and I was impressed by his delivery which was much different when he speaks Thai to Thai reporters. I was also impressed by his decorum and the way he greeted and interacted with others while in New York. I am not impressed with the firewall concept that has been put forth by the cabinet. I doubt this will go forward and when the Prime Minster returns we shall see that idea scrapped. I still say give the man some room to succeed. The criticism of him is way over the top. I din't hear Obama give his speech in Thai or the Pope give his in English.

Foolish post.Some quick observations.

The Nation has been a strong supporter of the PDRC and then the military coup.The queasiness being expressed now is shared by most perceptive erstwhile supporters of military intervention.

English and Spanish are languages used by the UN.Thai is not.

If Yingluck had spoken Thai at the UN she would have been pilloried.

The chamber was almost empty when he made his speech.Can't think why.

The achievements he listed including health were all the work of previous governments particularly Thaksin related administrations.

The criticism of him is fully justifed - out of his depth and ignorant.

Who gives a toss how his delivery sounds to you?

He didn't have any substantive bilaterals except with nonentities.He had a few 10 second "brush bys" with some key people including Obama.One would guess these leaders muttered to themselves. "Hope that's the last time I have to meet that little twerp"

Well- you most likely have guessed wrong. People of substance do not denigrate other people or their opinions. You continue to use language about others opinions which are combative without accepting everyone has the right to their opinion. I was in Thailand when The Nation first appeared and they have a long history of opposing military takeovers. They also have a history of criticizing governments that are dictatorial in nature such as the previous one.

In regard to speaking at the United Nations, most people speak in their native languages , That is why the UN has highly skilled interpreters.

Frankly, it does not matter whether you or I like the current regime in Thailand. Thai people will decide their fate. However, I shall stand by my opinion on giving the current Prime Minster a chance to either excel or fail.

Well- you most likely have guessed wrong. People of substance do not denigrate other people or their opinions. You continue to use language about others opinions which are combative without accepting everyone has the right to their opinion. I was in Thailand when The Nation first appeared and they have a long history of opposing military takeovers. They also have a history of criticizing governments that are dictatorial in nature such as the previous one.

In regard to speaking at the United Nations, most people speak in their native languages , That is why the UN has highly skilled interpreters.

Frankly, it does not matter whether you or I like the current regime in Thailand. Thai people will decide their fate. However, I shall stand by my opinion on giving the current Prime Minster a chance to either excel or fail.

Nope.

Speakers at the United Nations are supposed to deliver their speeches in one of the organization's six official languages: English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, and Chinese. U.N. interpreters then translate the lecture into the other five languages.

"People of substance do not denigrate other people or their opinions."

Now I know why the junta leader is so open to other people's opinions - he is a man of substance!

"I was in Thailand when The Nation first appeared and they have a long history of opposing military takeovers"

Shame on them!

" They also have a history of criticizing governments that are dictatorial in nature such as the previous one."

You mean, as opposed to the present one? Tell me, did you manage to write this without giggling insanely??

"Thai people will decide their fate"

Apparently not while the present regime is in power.

If that is the case so be it- my issue is not over languages other than how people on this board use the English language to attempt to invalidate others opinions by using terminology that one would not use directly to their face. I do not know the Thai Prime Minster but he sure is a lot better than some they have had before. The last one attempted to corner the rice market and plunged Thailand, one of the top rice growers in the World, into a crisis. I would not call her stupid but very inexperienced in economics and being manipulated by a convicted criminal in another country.

The 2002 Universal Health Care Scheme was lauded from his very lips!!!

That's the greatest comeback since Lazarus for Thaksin (it's ALL his fault)

Indeed. Not so long ago he slammed the universal health care scheme as a costly populist policy that will bankrupt a lot of hospitals. Now he's praising it for reducing inequality in the country!

Of course, it's kind of hard to figure out if he really means what he says. He did say there would be no coup and that he would not become PM....coffee1.gif

"Thai people will decide their fate"

How can they, when the General and company arrest and lock up anyone and everyone they can who has an opinion that doesn't go along with THEIR program?

Oh, and just for the record, one American reporter stated that Gen P spoke so low, and so fast, that the official interpreters were looking at each other trying to figure out what the hell he said.

Edited by Just1Voice