To Live In A Moo Baan Or No

lotus eater

Next month I will be looking to find a house to rent long term, ship my things over, make a home there. My girl friend and I, probably also her daughters. Quite quickly a cat and dogs as pets. I will sometimes be away maybe in total 2 months of the year, while they remain there.

I know most farang - with thai or farang partners prefer to live in walled compounds. Perceived value for money, farang style houses, farang neighbours, communal compound facilities, new construction, maintenance service - these are some considerations that come to mind. But how much should security considerations come into it? Is there much more burglary or break-in affecting houses outside a compound?

I ask because my instinct is to find a thai style house and that is likely not to be in a moo baan. But though I can weigh the other factors I don't know about the security aspect vis a vis housing - in Chiang Mai.

Next month I will be looking to find a house to rent long term, ship my things over, make a home there. My girl friend and I, probably also her daughters. Quite quickly a cat and dogs as pets. I will sometimes be away maybe in total 2 months of the year, while they remain there.

I know most farang - with thai or farang partners prefer to live in walled compounds. Perceived value for money, farang style houses, farang neighbours, communal compound facilities, new construction, maintenance service - these are some considerations that come to mind. But how much should security considerations come into it? Is there much more burglary or break-in affecting houses outside a compound?

I ask because my instinct is to find a thai style house and that is likely not to be in a moo baan. But though I can weigh the other factors I don't know about the security aspect vis a vis housing - in Chiang Mai.

I do not reccommend moving too deeply into the rural moo baans unless you are either married to somone from that village from a respected family or have a very strong personal connection with someone in that village perceived to be a phuu yai by all the people living in that village such as a local Kamnaan.

Furthermore, theft is always a major issue in traditional Thai villages, as well as in the modern housing estates judging by several of the posts on these boards. The nicer homes in the villages tend to have walled fences surrounding them, with the broken glass atop, as well as having metal security grills on all windows.

It is not so much that I want to move into a thai village neighbourhood as to live in a house built to a traditional thai design, ie stilts, lots of terrace area, built of wood, etc. This may be in a thai village I suppose - in which case I take note of your advice; but it might not be in a village, and not in a farang moo baan either & therefore without the security of an average such moo baan.

Just want to collect comments to mull over as I look aaround the houses to rent. Much though I am drawn to the style of a thai house and its typical layout, I am keeping an open mind and may well may a sober/conventional choice of a western style house in a western moo baan.

Giving myself a month to look around - on my own driving around, as well as with agents.

It is not so much that I want to move into a thai village neighbourhood as to live in a house built to a traditional thai design, ie stilts, lots of terrace area, built of wood, etc. This may be in a thai village I suppose - in which case I take note of your advice; but it might not be in a village, and not in a farang moo baan either & therefore without the security of an average such moo baan.

Just want to collect comments to mull over as I look aaround the houses to rent. Much though I am drawn to the style of a thai house and its typical layout, I am keeping an open mind and may well may a sober/conventional choice of a western style house in a western moo baan.

Giving myself a month to look around - on my own driving around, as well as with agents.

Many kinds of muubaans around... I think living in muubaan is a good idea, but it depends. The one I live in is mostly Thai, and provides gated access. This may seem like a negative, but it is the Thai way of doing things, and for 300 baht per month, I feel very secure living here... There was a theft problem here before the gated access, but it has disappeared... Also, all of the salesmen are gone :o

I have lived in both a Thai moobaan and farang-ish style moobaan's. I would have to say that the later for me has a much more secure feel to it, although its still 75 % Thai occupied. The Thai's are great neighbors and far more sociable than the farangs around me. They would do anything to help you within reason, if you can get through the "krieng jai" barrier, ie; dont be too shy..My moobaan is inside the city yet has massive trees all around and inside the gates its quiet also.. without a doubt the best place i have ever lived. Good luck on your quest..

post-31110-1159502944_thumb.jpg

Nice looking house, Austhaied.

Looking in advance at agents listings on the web I have gathered that brand new houses are most in demand. This may have something to do with bad quality building, ie non-new houses will quickly show wear and tear and have problems with whatever. On the other hand the last thing I want is a brand new house with bare of surrounding trees and greenery. Is it possible, in a moo baan, to find houses that are well built and in good order, with trees and greenery, good sized gardens, and not impossibly close to neighbouring houses?

Apart from the design etc, my other reason for preferring the thai house was this greater likelihood of surrounding greenery and greater privacy.

Nice looking house, Austhaied.

Looking in advance at agents listings on the web I have gathered that brand new houses are most in demand. This may have something to do with bad quality building, ie non-new houses will quickly show wear and tear and have problems with whatever. On the other hand the last thing I want is a brand new house with bare of surrounding trees and greenery. Is it possible, in a moo baan, to find houses that are well built and in good order, with trees and greenery, good sized gardens, and not impossibly close to neighbouring houses?

Apart from the design etc, my other reason for preferring the thai house was this greater likelihood of surrounding greenery and greater privacy.

I doubt that you'll find a 'thai style' home in a muubaan here..But, you may get lucky. There are some nice houses for sale at http://www.chiangmainews.com/classifieds_job/list.php

I definitely want to rent not buy for the moment. I do see thai houses for rent listed on agents' websites but mostly too expensive for me. And the ones that are perhaps affordable may turn up problems when I come to see them in reality.

As I say I won't waste too much time on this quest if it looks unrealistic. But to keep the time efficient and short, it would be helpful to have comments on the following

- which direction/area would I be best advized to search?

- what percentage of the agents' listed rent levels could I hope to bargain away if I found the houses and approached the lanflords myself (accompanied with a thai speaker)?

i live somewhere in buakkhang, san kamphen. local paddy fields left right center. almost a rai of land. single storey house and lots and lots of trees. have not had any burglary or problems despite the number of people drunk riding past our home.

i don't think burglary is an issue when you drive out 25 minutes from chiang mai. depends really how close you are to the city. yes you would feel more secured staying at a "farang" mooban. confined to a small piece of land though.

i live somewhere in buakkhang, san kamphen. local paddy fields left right center. almost a rai of land. single storey house and lots and lots of trees. have not had any burglary or problems despite the number of people drunk riding past our home.

i don't think burglary is an issue when you drive out 25 minutes from chiang mai. depends really how close you are to the city. yes you would feel more secured staying at a "farang" mooban. confined to a small piece of land though.

Thanks. I find this encouraging. I don't mind being 25 minutes away - would that be about 20 miles? I assume this distance from the city will have no relevance to availability of utilities, strength of mobile signal, or connexion of internet.

Would you say that your comment on security would apply even to a thai style of house with its more open design? Won't ask you the obvious question as to whether such houses are to be seen in the area - because I will drive to the area and look for myself.

bhc

Thanks. I find this encouraging. I don't mind being 25 minutes away - would that be about 20 miles? I assume this distance from the city will have no relevance to availability of utilities, strength of mobile signal, or connexion of internet.

Would you say that your comment on security would apply even to a thai style of house with its more open design? Won't ask you the obvious question as to whether such houses are to be seen in the area - because I will drive to the area and look for myself.

bhc

bhc, we use underground water. electric, we had a pay a bit more for a 3 phase but it would cost you anywhere, even in a mooban to pull in a 3 phase wiring for you. phone signal is perfectly fine. internet, they did not have ADSL on TOT offered where we stayed. so we opt for the IPstar crap. a month later ADSL was available but have to go through the 1 year contract with ipstar. so to answer your question, you have to see if an area that you are looking at has all these utilities. for a 20 minute drive, most probably you would have all utilities.

bhc

bhc, we use underground water. electric, we had a pay a bit more for a 3 phase but it would cost you anywhere, even in a mooban to pull in a 3 phase wiring for you. phone signal is perfectly fine. internet, they did not have ADSL on TOT offered where we stayed. so we opt for the IPstar crap. a month later ADSL was available but have to go through the 1 year contract with ipstar. so to answer your question, you have to see if an area that you are looking at has all these utilities. for a 20 minute drive, most probably you would have all utilities.

Thanks for the information. I'm quite looking forward to the looking around. Hope landlords over there display prominent signs at houses available for rent - even when these have been put on agents' lists. I intend to go to agents only if I fail to find something by myslf.

bhc

Hope landlords over there display prominent signs at houses available for rent - even when these have been put on agents' lists. I intend to go to agents only if I fail to find something by myslf.

bhc

On most moo bans there is a site office check them first. Sometimes they hold details of houses for rent. Can save a bit of time rather than driving round and round.

Good luck :o

Sounds good , let us know how you progress.

:o

Will do so. However won't be in CM to start for another few weeks - in the meantime please don't presume I've walked away without a reporting progress.

tigerbeer mentioned using "underground water". What's the meaning or implication of that, I wonder. I'd have no objection any particular source as long as it was clean and enabled a decent shower arrangement - even if that needed me to install a pump.

• 6 months later...
Hope landlords over there display prominent signs at houses available for rent - even when these have been put on agents' lists. I intend to go to agents only if I fail to find something by myslf.

bhc

On most moo bans there is a site office check them first. Sometimes they hold details of houses for rent. Can save a bit of time rather than driving round and round.

Good luck :o

Do you know if these site offices have internet links? We are just visiting Chiang Mai onze, before possibly moving for a couple of years.

If we need all common stuff like sewering, internet etc etc, as wel good logistics to (international schools) which moo ban or which moobans would be most appropriate for a familiy with three farang kids?

In all this talk about rurual or semi-rural moobahns, security, gated and guarded entrances, etc., I think of the people I know. One place in Hang Dong requires 3 or 4 entries through guarded gates where nobody is checked. Another, where I live, finally has a sometime guard who does virtually nothing. Three or four more have a guarded front entrance but no checks. Finally, where they advertise 9.28 million baht homes for sale (Grand), they take my ID from me when I visit! Same with the condos - some have very tight security, others have virtually none, and it's subject to change in either direction without notice. They can close the community pool, fire the security guards, stop mowing the lawns or maintaining the canals, and.....it's out of your control.

They can close the community pool, fire the security guards, stop mowing the lawns or maintaining the canals, and.....it's out of your control.

Sounds like my moo bahn. All the above happened recently due to 'financial' difficulties. (spelled - manager pocketing the funds).

They can close the community pool, fire the security guards, stop mowing the lawns or maintaining the canals, and.....it's out of your control.

Sounds like my moo bahn. All the above happened recently due to 'financial' difficulties. (spelled - manager pocketing the funds).

Before I left Vianping Mansion (where the manager pocketed the funds when we first got there), they closed the pool and the outdoor restaurant, and since then, things got worse. I don't want to start another Hillside 4 flamewar, but I spoke today to residents who are moving out, who say the pool's out of order there, even.

Am I exaggerating, to say that you as an owner (perhaps even a group of neighbors acting together) have no real control over the level of security, especially if you're renting from a landlord who doesn't live in that moobahn?

Oh, Oh, this doens't sounds too good.

We will move to Chiang Mai later this year, without too much preparation time locally.

Would you advice us, to stay in a Hotel first (for month's????) or just take it as it is, without to much requirements?

Which area in Chiang Mai is child friendly? expat friendly?

What would be the best way to prepare ourselves?

Come and stay in a hotel for 2 weeks, and be prepared to extend it to a month. There's no real answer to the question of best place, most child friendly, will a farang be safe, happy, etc. You have to work these things out for yourself. The only wrong move is to lock yourself into something too early, before you know what's what. Take your time.

I'd say it'd certainly be a good idea to book into a hotel or serviced apartment for a month or two initially. CM is not so very big. Spend a little time getting the feel of the place before making a longer-term committment.

I don't want to start another Hillside 4 flamewar, but I spoke today to residents who are moving out, who say the pool's out of order there, even.

Not true. Pool at Hillside 4 is open, and I have used it all this week. It is the fitness centre that is closed for the Songkran holiday.

Come and stay in a hotel for 2 weeks, and be prepared to extend it to a month. There's no real answer to the question of best place, most child friendly, will a farang be safe, happy, etc. You have to work these things out for yourself. The only wrong move is to lock yourself into something too early, before you know what's what. Take your time.

Thanks Wai Wai and Puwa, I will take your advice serious and take the time to "get used" a bit before going for a long term solution.

Next months a "trial" visit will already give some first general impression.

In Europe we drive around with a broker, what's the best way of searching a living place in Chiang Mai? Internet does not give too much rental oportunities to me, so I have to see it locally. Is there one or more "reliable" agency which you can advice of?

thanks

CAsh is king , once you give up that advantage you be in their pocket for the taking .

slow is good,

being slow and steady get you more distance ,

chiangmai have very special season chanage and what i call natural problem , flood , cold , heat , haze you name it ..

some area is affect more some is less ,, don't listen to those who try to sell you , see and study yourself ..

i know at least a 100 palces that will be BADLy affect by the flood . and on the rim with give bad smell at night , and also many other thing .

so be wise by protecting your CASH not jump into the next ride and hope it going to be lucky .

trust me the last thing you want to base your judgement in THAILAND is LUCK ..

only fact can save you not even GOD

Do not use any of the agencies. If they advertise in English, it's obvious who they're targetting :o.

Do follow some online ads and speak with a few agencies to get a start. What you'll see is maybe 1 % of the real market, and at inflated prices, but it will give you some idea of what is there (not those particular properties, which all the agents seem to have been trying to rent forever, but an idea of the place in general).

Then hire a taxi driver ( and I can recommend one who speaks good English if you'd like) and drive around the areas you're interested in. There will be signs, with phone numbers, about available places. Your driver can also ask in shops etc.