Mosquitos (traps tricks)

nullx8

hey there ...

since its now raining i have a Serious Mosquito Problem.

it has 2 Sources.

1. Thais constantly leave the doors open (still try to find this Spring loaded Closers .. but in most shops they have only this western style ones .. wich i not really like)

2. mosquitos lure right at the door .. (as there is no rain) .. so opening the door will instantly push some of them inside.

bug traps where until now a waste of money ... they catch other things which i not much care about .. but NOT Mosquitos.

i have 2 of this LED/Fan traps now ... they controlled via home automation system (turned on once a door is open and stay on for serval hours)

some peoples say this "BLack hole" traps work .. but others say they dont ..

frankly 4000 baht is not the range of money i like to trow away if they dont ,, sadly no proper recommendation else.

anyone has an idea how to solve this thing?

since the Thai-Factor can't be eliminated, i need somethings that gets them after they inside.

The electric tennis raquets become a nuisance after a while and you shouldnt have those poisonous coils burning inside.

I found the cheap 200bt blue light zappers very effective for a bedroom but the best solutiion i found is having a freestanding fan a metre or so away from the bed blowing horizontally.

The mossies cannot fly through the fan draft and you keep cool.

But to keep them out of a room you need the insect screen doors or as we have just a loose curtain over the door.

Yeah i put a courtsin st the back door already, but this prevents only the ones fly straight in, the ones acually want to get in pumping on the surface until they do find a hole (and they always do)

I was thinking of a "door fan" but they cost even more :(

I more focus on a technical solution anyway, mYbe i get some old aircon units and scap off the fans smile.png

And do what with them we are all dying to know?

Generate a steady airflow once the door opens, since the lack of Horsepower in a Mosquito engine, thats enough to make sure they not come in if someone opens the door.

If none get inside, none have to be killed, lured or trapped.

Ummmm......

new design , CO2 gererator with a suction fan and a zapper...

Mozzie attacted to CO2 , get close and are sucked in and Zapped......

Where do you get these?? Sounds like a good idea as long as it makes more CO2 than me.

Yes the female mozzies are attracted to CO2 as warm blooded animals breath this out.

They are attracted to potted plants so i fill the top with gravel or road base this stops them coming about then in my flower/shub beds i heavily spray with a good mozzie spray it works for about a week until the next heavy rain

Ummmm......

new design , CO2 gererator with a suction fan and a zapper...

Mozzie attacted to CO2 , get close and are sucked in and Zapped......

Where do you get these?? Sounds like a good idea as long as it makes more CO2 than me.

Yes the female mozzies are attracted to CO2 as warm blooded animals breath this out.

No idea smile.png I just thought it up , Baking soda can make CO2 ?

But i think there is a big commercial unit that works a little like this ,

When you make some let me know smile.png

Vitamin b doesn't work for me. I take multi vitamins and still get bitten. IMO it depends on the amount of sugar in your blood.

I take multivitamins also! But seems they only combo that works for me and now some friends, is the specific formulation I gave...^ they vary from 3 to 5 baht each .... Initially I took two a day, after a month or so, i tried just one a day before breakfast.... and found it works!

Better than sprays.... me thinks!

Another "trick" we used in Canada was putting a little mineral oil in small ponds, Teaspoon or so if I remember... it suffocates the larvae. Always best to make sure no standing water in containers etc!

Our house is right next to a large pond, but strangely we seem to get few mossies. Maybe small fish or water bugs eat the mosquito larvae.

We have insect mesh on our windows, but nothing for the doors. We leave the glass windows open all of the time. The doors are open during the day, but shut at night. You could never do this in Australia (where I come from). The flies and mossies would eat you alive especially in summer. I'm amazed there seem to be so few flies in Thailand.

Most of the mossies we do get seem to come from water in pot plants, other standing water or wet vegetation. I've hunted out anything that can collect water and empty what's left after rain. I also spray some of the longer, damper bits of grass where the mossies seem to hide during the day. You can try this is some of your rooms during the day (e.g. spray the dark corners where the mosquitoes hide and then go out for an hour or two).

Another poster suggested fans. We always use a fan if we sit on the veranda at night. This keeps the mossies away. Similarly, we use a ceiling fan when sleeping at night. I cannot sleep with a normal, plug in fan because of the noise and uneven breeze. A ceiling fan is quiet and produces a nice even restful breeze. Mossies don't like nicotine so you could also try smoking.

Door closers

In Australia there are cheap screen door closers available, much cheaper versions then the heavy duty door closers commonly sold. Before these became available, many people used just a simple, soft spring about 20-30 cm long. A bit of rubber inside the door opening dampens the noise.

Plants

Mosquitos dislike strong odors of some plants, like Citronella, Marigolds, and Lavender.

Wind curtain

A wind curtain is a technical solution. These are manufactured for shops and work by generating such a high air speed in the door opening that insects cannot enter. One could gerry rig one by mounting a number of the axial fans you see being used at markets around the door opening, operated by a switch connected to the door

Mosquito catchers, some costing 35000-45000 baht.

They usually combine a number of methods:

1. Visual attractant.

UV (the blueish light in cheap mosquito catchers) light does not appear to attract mosquitoes

One of the manufacturers claims that their pulsating LED array simulates the way the arteries in your skin pulsate with each heartbeat. However during the day the mosquitos are attracted to dark places and also seem to be attracted to dark or black clothing. The pulsating LEDS seem to be more to attract human attention to the product!

2. A fan that draws mosquitos in, sometimes into a dry catchment net where they dehydrate, while in others the fan blows them into a chemical attractant pool.

3. A way to emit the carbon dioxide (Either by slowly releasing carbon dioxide from a carbon dioxide cylinder like those used in restaurants for fizzy drinks OR by converting LP gas using a catalyst) that mosquitos are attracted to. The Carbon dioxide cylinders are harder to get then the gas cylinders.

4. One or more chemical attractants. The attractants vary depending on the type of mosquitos you are trying to trap: The attractant for the Malaria and Dengue carrying tiger mosquitos differs from that used to attract the smaller mosquitos. (Lactic acid, Octanol)

The attractants and carbon dioxide means in addition to the electricity those machines are expensive to run.

5. Heat / Infrared light (Simulating body heat)

6. Moist air stream

We tested one of the fancier mosquito catchers (using a Carbon Dioxide cylinder, a honey based attractant together with a liquid attractant. The Tiger mosquito attractant stank like urine) and found it caught 5 to 6 mosquitos per day. The manufacturer claims a cost of A$1.07 per day in consumables, which worked out at about 5 baht per mosquito. The manufacturer’s video show a net with tens of thousands of mosquitos caught.........

A friend tested one of the machines using LP gas and found it to perform better (They are or were available at Homepro)

These mosquito catchers, like the upside down bottle traps, may perform better in windless areas, allowing the Carbon Dioxide to pool.

No, they only generate a small amount of carbon dioxde. To generate more is expensive and may kill you when used in doors!

Mosquito net

Use a mosquito net soaked in pyrethroid insecticide: You act as the attractant: You emit carbon dioxide (heavy breathing increases the emisssion of carbon dioxide!), emit the odours humans do, your skin is the right temperature the mosquitos are attracted to ...... The pyrethroid insecticde kills the mosquitos and you will have fun generating the carbon dioxide!

Live in condo any level above 5.

I live on the 15th floor get them nearly everyday, I have 3 windows open they get blown in with the air flow.

They are not breeding near me as far as i can tell, i regularly put bleach down all the drains on the balconies, and have no plants or standing water.

Door closers

In Australia there are cheap screen door closers available, much cheaper versions then the heavy duty door closers commonly sold. Before these became available, many people used just a simple, soft spring about 20-30 cm long. A bit of rubber inside the door opening dampens the noise.

Plants

Mosquitos dislike strong odors of some plants, like Citronella, Marigolds, and Lavender.

Wind curtain

A wind curtain is a technical solution. These are manufactured for shops and work by generating such a high air speed in the door opening that insects cannot enter. One could gerry rig one by mounting a number of the axial fans you see being used at markets around the door opening, operated by a switch connected to the door

Mosquito catchers, some costing 35000-45000 baht.

They usually combine a number of methods:

1. Visual attractant.

UV (the blueish light in cheap mosquito catchers) light does not appear to attract mosquitoes

One of the manufacturers claims that their pulsating LED array simulates the way the arteries in your skin pulsate with each heartbeat. However during the day the mosquitos are attracted to dark places and also seem to be attracted to dark or black clothing. The pulsating LEDS seem to be more to attract human attention to the product!

2. A fan that draws mosquitos in, sometimes into a dry catchment net where they dehydrate, while in others the fan blows them into a chemical attractant pool.

3. A way to emit the carbon dioxide (Either by slowly releasing carbon dioxide from a carbon dioxide cylinder like those used in restaurants for fizzy drinks OR by converting LP gas using a catalyst) that mosquitos are attracted to. The Carbon dioxide cylinders are harder to get then the gas cylinders.

4. One or more chemical attractants. The attractants vary depending on the type of mosquitos you are trying to trap: The attractant for the Malaria and Dengue carrying tiger mosquitos differs from that used to attract the smaller mosquitos. (Lactic acid, Octanol)

The attractants and carbon dioxide means in addition to the electricity those machines are expensive to run.

5. Heat / Infrared light (Simulating body heat)

6. Moist air stream

We tested one of the fancier mosquito catchers (using a Carbon Dioxide cylinder, a honey based attractant together with a liquid attractant. The Tiger mosquito attractant stank like urine) and found it caught 5 to 6 mosquitos per day. The manufacturer claims a cost of A$1.07 per day in consumables, which worked out at about 5 baht per mosquito. The manufacturer’s video show a net with tens of thousands of mosquitos caught.........

A friend tested one of the machines using LP gas and found it to perform better (They are or were available at Homepro)

These mosquito catchers, like the upside down bottle traps, may perform better in windless areas, allowing the Carbon Dioxide to pool.

No, they only generate a small amount of carbon dioxde. To generate more is expensive and may kill you when used in doors!

Mosquito net

Use a mosquito net soaked in pyrethroid insecticide: You act as the attractant: You emit carbon dioxide (heavy breathing increases the emisssion of carbon dioxide!), emit the odours humans do, your skin is the right temperature the mosquitos are attracted to ...... The pyrethroid insecticde kills the mosquitos and you will have fun generating the carbon dioxide!

RIGHT ON! I lived in highly malarial areas in PNG for some years, and the safe way to go is to use pyrethroid-based insecticides.

Sprays are available in Thailand which are pyrethroid based, and are safe for people. KAYARI brand. Try TOPS.

Nets soaked in pyrethroids also kill mosquitoes as soon as they land on them..

I spray around the house regularly, and also bought a cheap ultra violet trap costing around 600 baht at MAKRO. There were plenty of zapped mozzies in the base each time I checked.

There are also boxes of mosquito pads in most shops, which slip into a small device plugged into your power outlet. These are mostly pyrethroid based, some are perfumed, some are not.

While malaria is not such a big problem here, dengue is. Be warned, it's not pleasant to have.

Try to cover yourself at all times. I wear a light color fabric; long sleeve short and pants with socks. Sometimes, I lift the shirt collar to cover the neck if I see them around where I am sitting. The mosquitoes rarely bite above the neck. You might sweat all day as you are going to anyway. If you are indoors with air conditioning, it is not a problem.

For sleeping, spray and make sure the bedroom is always closed shut and use air conditioning. Even with this, I still get 2 bites a week while sleeping. But this setup works best for me.

1. 2 x Smoke rings burning either side of the door outside.

2. 2 x Black Holes or similar either side of the door inside.

3. Air con and fans on permanently in the living room where I sit with my dog and my beer.

4. Electric shock tennis racquet near by when sat watching TV.

5. Spray full house with Baygon if I see 1 ONE mosquito in my house.

No mosquitos in misterphil's house.

Don't be a cheap charlie when it comes to protecting yourself from mosquitos. You'll pay a lot more than 4,000 baht if you catch anything from them.

3. Air con and fans on permanently in the living room where I sit with my dog and my beer.

Don't be a cheap charlie when it comes to protecting yourself from mosquitos. You'll pay a lot more than 4,000 baht if you catch anything from them.

I would read the label on BAYGON very carefully before using it.

It used to contain some nasties which were banned in Western countries.

If the can contains Pyrethrum, you're safe.

..... Nets soaked in pyrethroids also kill mosquitoes as soon as they land on them......

OK , another crazy idea , do mosquitos go after , dog , cats , pigs , buffalo smile.png

could you use the pyrethroid soaked nets over the places they sleep ?

or use the nets as screens for your house ?

This works great and cheap:

I also use a homemade spray for ants and other pests, just Google it

I tried this many times. It does not work. I read that it depends on the species of mosquito.

Worked for me with Thai mosquito's

I would read the label on BAYGON very carefully before using it.

It used to contain some nasties which were banned in Western countries.

If the can contains Pyrethrum, you're safe.

Read the label for what?

I want it to have nasties in it. I want it to kill the nasties in my house.

Banned in Western Countries ay arse. Who cares? If Western Countries were that good none of us on here would be living here.

Black Hole mosquito catcher did not work for me, the normal light zapper works better. So save your money there!

Some brands of coils dont work, I have mosquito on walls next to the burning coil of baygon.

Best option is to have air curtain blowing so mosquito won't fly in. And the cheap and easy mosquito racket, can be bought for around 70-80 baht each at Tesco or Home Pro during promotions periods.

Archived