Would a dual major in Chinese and Japanese languages be useful for finding work in Thailand?

Yes, It would be a great help for you because here in Thailand everything is made or imported from China and Japan, I got a BD in Chinese language the came to Thailand and did BBA and because I am fluent in Thai and Chinese I have been able to find very good jobs with a very good pay, but you must to be really fluent though, must be able to write business letter etc.

As skills in themselves and professional opportunities based only on languages, options are going to be limited, eg translator, interpreter, teacher etc.

What would probably offer more opportunities are skills in other professions. Languages then become a nice extra, which maybe also help round your character and help you interface. But help being the operative word.

Put simply in business I'd rather have someone with strong business skills/professional qualifications and some language ability than someone with strong language skills who dabbles in business.

I happened to do a language degree myself as I enjoyed languages and all the things that come with it. Language. Literature. Culture. Travel etc. Not necessarily gifted just enjoyed them. It's my professional qualifications and skills that have largely driven my career, though with the languages adding a few extra perspectives and occasionally helping differentiate your CV.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

There are already plenty of Thai-Chinese people in Thailand who are fluent both in Thai and in Chinese languages. Not sure why anyone would want to hire a foreigner with all the associated paperwork problems and higher salary expectations than a native with quite probably better skills.

As for Japanese, I worked for Japanese investment banks for many years. All the Japanese staff spoke English and generally preferred that you did not speak to them in Japanese, even if you were (as I was) reasonably fluent in the language. I suspect the situation is the same here in Thailand.

There are already plenty of Thai-Chinese people in Thailand who are fluent both in Thai and in Chinese languages. Not sure why anyone would want to hire a foreigner with all the associated paperwork problems and higher salary expectations than a native with quite probably better skills.

As for Japanese, I worked for Japanese investment banks for many years. All the Japanese staff spoke English and generally preferred that you did not speak to them in Japanese, even if you were (as I was) reasonably fluent in the language. I suspect the situation is the same here in Thailand.

I work here and let me tell ya, is very, very difficult to find a Chinese(mandarin) speaking person in here, and must of companies prefer foreigners over Thai, bcuz foreigners tend to be more aggressive. I have been living and working in Thailand for five years already and I have never met a Thai fluent in Chinese even among those that got a BD in Chinese language.

• 3 months later...

My personal view is that language skills are not valued.

By that I don't mean they are not valuable, and will not open opportunities that you would not otherwise get, rather that language skills are only a small part of the consideration when deciding on pay scales.

A bilingual employee is of little value if their only use is to translate/interpret.

On the other hand a bilingual lawyer, business administrator, engineer etc is valuable.

My advice to anyone who is already multilingual is don't spend money, time and effort gaining qualifications in your language skills (which are in any case self evident) put your effort into obtaining a qualification and experience in a profession to which your language skills are a bonus.

I think it is also important to make a distinction between knowing a language (even fluency) and 'sense of language', they are not the same thing.

If you do feel you have a sense of language and the ability to understand and enjoy understanding the nuanced meanings in the spoken and written word then my advice is consider studying contract law and a career as a bilingual contract lawyer.

Do not be the translator/interpreter sitting passively in meetings earning a fraction of the wage of the people you are interpreting/translating for and missing full use of your skills and intellect.

Archived