Doi Inthanon Charges

chiang mai

Confirmed. I was charged yesterday 300bht despite having thai driving licence with permanent adress in Thailand. My thai fiance paid only 50bht. I didn't have work permit or tax number with me but I guess it wouldn't help either. It's first time since years I had to pay full tourist "racist" price.

wsAVgcb.jpg

Dual pricing really sucks and I have done my share of rubbishing the NPs.

Doi Inthanon however is a really nice little visit, especially novel once we get into cool season. If some friends were to visit CM (perhaps for the only time in their lives), I would not be the one to tell them not to go, Only to stand on principle, that will be totally lost on the Thai psyche and will never lead to a change of public policy.

Also If they say "10x for foreigners" allowing Aliens who hold a DL enter at the Thai price would just be another form

of favoritism or corruption. Sorry but I actually believe words have meaning.

It's really this simple...

Let your wife drive, she can pass right through the gate, and park immediately on the left side of the road, but not too close. She then walks back and buys two tickets. Go on a busy day. Wear a cap and sunglasses, and recline in the seat. I have a thai drivers license, but they never checked...and my wife never offered that information.

Edited by slipperylobster

We must mean different routes.. I mean the 1284 from the mae wang 1013.. That brings you out (in doi inthanon nat park admittedly) on the 1009 in baan khuan klang at the royal project agriculture bit..

Just had a look at Google maps. Looks like it is the 1013/1284. It's a new built concrete road and then asphalt downhill. You come out at the campgrounds/guesthouses overlooking the agriculture village.

Yes, there is also checkpoint two on the way further up to Doi Inthanon, but this you can pass without any charge if you turn immediately to the left afterwards towards Mae Hong Son (1192). The peek itself is a no go without ticket.

Thanks for that. Can anyone else confirm this ?

Dual pricing really sucks and I have done my share of rubbishing the NPs.

Doi Inthanon however is a really nice little visit, especially novel once we get into cool season. If some friends were to visit CM (perhaps for the only time in their lives), I would not be the one to tell them not to go, Only to stand on principle, that will be totally lost on the Thai psyche and will never lead to a change of public policy.

Also If they say "10x for foreigners" allowing Aliens who hold a DL enter at the Thai price would just be another form

of favoritism or corruption. Sorry but I actually believe words have meaning.

I disagree !

We must mean different routes.. I mean the 1284 from the mae wang 1013.. That brings you out (in doi inthanon nat park admittedly) on the 1009 in baan khuan klang at the royal project agriculture bit..

Just had a look at Google maps. Looks like it is the 1013/1284. It's a new built concrete road and then asphalt downhill. You come out at the campgrounds/guesthouses overlooking the agriculture village.

Yes, there is also checkpoint two on the way further up to Doi Inthanon, but this you can pass without any charge if you turn immediately to the left afterwards towards Mae Hong Son (1192). The peek itself is a no go without ticket.

I can confirm this route exists, but theres still a toll booth coming from mae wang and it still comes out before the 2nd toll leading up the peak, after which there are no (that I know of) additional trails or routes you can enter from the cnx side..

You could come from mon cheam side and turn left but its a long way to go to try to avoid a couple 100b.

Just went to the small Tad Mork Waterfalls in Mae Sa valley yesterday, had my work permit and thai social insurance card with me, tried to talk to the guard for 10 minutes he wouldn't let me go through with the normal price. Plain stupid... tried to tell me that I could use the same ticket for the Mae Saa waterfalls. Didn't even reply that I don't give a s**t about his mae saa waterfalls, just went back in the car and turned around

Went to Ko Samet and rented out one of those green vehicles, just sitting inside the cab. Driver drove straight through, no charge.

But yes, this state of affairs is quite sad. More reason to just keep Thailand for the booze and hookers. Screw a bunch of waterfalls with crappy facilities.

Only thing I really notice is the total silence from all the apologists who would always counter any dislike of a dual pricing plan by 'I just pull out my DL and amaze them with my Thai skills' as though it was policy.

That much abused word again, heads up: an "apologist" offers an argument in defense of something, not a way around it!

Based on "principle" alone the whole nation could be shunned. Human trafficking, coups, where does one begin? Now we have European tourists who will be fleeced and scammed for farang price scams from the moment they step off a plane. Come to CM and local farnags tell them not to go to Doi Inthanon, the cost of entry about the same as a proper pint in a Scunthorpe pub. (Not pertinent but, they already spent thousands to fly here perhaps for the first and only time in their life, never to return).

Now where they go? Exploit tigers for 620 baht? Ride a elephant? Inthanon is a nice little day trip and I would not be the one to tell them not to go, based on whatever. It may be the only chance to see it in their lives. What should they do sit on a LK barstool and get blasted at 10:00AM? Not to support dual pricing but a statement of practical necessity.

Edited by arunsakda

Only thing I really notice is the total silence from all the apologists who would always counter any dislike of a dual pricing plan by 'I just pull out my DL and amaze them with my Thai skills' as though it was policy.

That much abused word again, heads up: an "apologist" offers an argument in defense of something, not a way around it!

No.. Generally the sense usage of the word is those who seen to maintain a bizarre Stockholm syndrome in while any negative has to be countered with an excuse.. In my experience its generally characterized by a certain kind of expat whose been here for that middle distance, say years 3 to maybe 8, who despite being unable to speak thai wants to maintain the illusion that there isnt a glass ceiling to the integration they desire, deeply entrenched, through all levels of official interaction.

Confirmed. I was charged yesterday 300bht despite having thai driving licence with permanent adress in Thailand. My thai fiance paid only 50bht. I didn't have work permit or tax number with me but I guess it wouldn't help either. It's first time since years I had to pay full tourist "racist" price.

wsAVgcb.jpg

The argument for charging tourists more is open to debate, but charging someone that essentially lives here, especially people like myself that work here, pay taxes here and has lived here for more than 20 years is a bit offensive. I used to live in a tourist town in the UK and a popular T-shirt said "I'm not a grockel* I live here". Maybe someone needs to make a similar version for Thailand.

* Grockel - Devonian/Dorset term for a non-resident.

No.. Generally the sense usage of the word is those who seen to maintain a bizarre Stockholm syndrome in while any negative has to be countered with an excuse.. In my experience its generally characterized by a certain kind of expat whose been here for that middle distance, say years 3 to maybe 8, who despite being unable to speak thai wants to maintain the illusion that there isnt a glass ceiling to the integration they desire, deeply entrenched, through all levels of official interaction.

That may be how some people choose to use the word but it's far from the definition or meaning, here, take your pick:

"a person who defends or supports something (such as a religion, cause, or organization) that is being criticized or attacked by other people".

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apologist

"A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution".

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/apologist

"a person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea, etc."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/apologist

Can anyone confirm this ??

Can anyone confirm this ??

Yes or at least it always used to be this way.. laimed to not be going to the peak, but turning to mon cheam, you could pass that post..

If the recent shake up changes anything.. I dont know..

The best parts of National parks here are where there are no roads, no ticket gates & no people. But you can, with a little effort, get there. i've no interest going to visit a garbage strewn car park to look at at a waterfall, surrounded by city slickers taking selfies bah.gif

The best parts of National parks here are where there are no roads, no ticket gates & no people. But you can, with a little effort, get there. i've no interest going to visit a garbage strewn car park to look at at a waterfall, surrounded by city slickers taking selfies bah.gif

Yes sir! thumbsup.gif A like-mind man.