Underpass construction digs in with delays

webfact

Underpass construction digs in with delays
Phuket Gazette

1_201510117111605_xtgwUGYiLySOpViIxGRokR
Construction of the Chalong Underpass was meant to start last month. Photo: Highways Department

PHUKET: -- The need to remove more than 100 utility poles in preparation for building the Chalong Underpass may delay the start of construction until next year.

“It is hard work to remove that many poles on both sides of the road, while ensuring as few people are affected as possible. Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) Region 2 office, located in Nakorn Sri Thammarat, is in charge of this part of the project,” Chalermpol Wongkiattikun, project engineer from the Department of Highways, told the Phuket Gazette.

In August, officials released alternative routes for drivers to take during the first and second phase of the Chalong Underpass construction. Diggers were originally expected to be in motion last month.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Underpass-construction-digs-with-delays/62057?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-10-01

And the alternative routes are narrow sois which will cause big delays. The circle seems to function reasonably well most of the time these days partly due to not using the cones coming off Patak Rd. I wonder why the Gazette stuck a clock tower on the circle. Perhaps they feel it will be better value than an underpass.

So the construction company is already forecasting delays. The same mob who are never going to complete the Samkong underpass by about their 3rd extended deadline of early next year.

Edited by Valentine

And the alternative routes are narrow sois which will cause big delays. The circle seems to function reasonably well most of the time these days partly due to not using the cones coming off Patak Rd. I wonder why the Gazette stuck a clock tower on the circle. Perhaps they feel it will be better value than an underpass.

So the construction company is already forecasting delays. The same mob who are never going to complete the Samkong underpass by about their 3rd extended deadline of early next year.

At the moment the circle is functioning well with far less people using it. Unfortunately when it is busy the cones are necessary, they really are helping the flow of traffic. Lately not if coming from Rawai and pol;ice regulating traffic, since there is only one lane available direction Chao Fa West, and police tend to block access coming from Rawai in in order to get a better flow coming from Kata, but that also causes more jams coming from Chao Fa West.

In general though I'm still wondering if the police regulating traffic is the cause of traffic jams there or if the jam is the cause of the police regulating traffic.

Funny enough, since they removed the cones theres been 10x more traffic coming from north to south

I wonder what you guys are drinking, a week ago i could get through the circle in 30secs to 2mins in the morning, last few days it's been quite long and when i come back its backed up 400m

Removing the poles is easy, figuring out where all those cables go, most of which go nowhere, is the difficult task. It probably takes weeks just to untangle the useless cables.

Heck, just knock them all down. Those without electricity will complain and then you know where to place new lines.