Parents letting their kids play on escalators. I'm freaking out!

searcher22

In the past week here in Chiang Mai, I've seen two cases of parents using the Maya shopping mall escalators as a free amusement ride. In one case, a parent accompanied two young kids to the escalator, and the kids tried to walk up the escalator that was going down. One kid fell a couple of times on the escalator steps. A guard looked on from a disatnce and did not intervene. The parent, passive at first, finally walked away with them.

And just yesterday, Chinese parents looked on and smiled as their 10-year-old played with a 5-year old on the steps of a moving escalator. The 5-year-old - who was barefoot - fell a couple of times on the steps and managed to get back up. I'm surprised his little fingers or toes didn't get stuck in the mechanism, which would have made for a horrific scene. A guard intervened this time.

Anybody else witness such events? Should I intervene or mind my own business? These kids are risking severe trauma. The parents have no clue.

At 20 months old we never do anything else other than carry our son on an escalator - when we do we are also as careful as we can be.

I only hope that complacency doesn't slip into every day life when using escalators. We just have to remember to pay attention.

Once our son is too old to be carried up and down escalators, he will always have to hold our hand (and not wear Crocs or rubber footwear).

Hand-holding rules also apply for car parks and near roads etc or other potential danger areas.

Kids get anywhere and everywhere - dropping our levels of attention can be tragic.

WARNING: following videos are tragic and upsetting - Children injurred while playing on an escalator.

The reason I reluctantly post these vidoes? it serves as a grave warning to anyone with children who may not give escalators the attention they deserve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBVjtaNLj28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wftx5ZVu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCR70ZsgTao

Edited by richard_smith237

OP. I thought my nightmares about terrible accidents happening to my children would be over when they grew up.

Now I have grandchildren and it's all starting again.

Your question: "Should I intervene or mind my own business?"

My answer: Even if you do intervene to stop them getting hurt on the escalator, the parents will have them standing up between the front seats of the pick-up on the way home, or riding up front on the motorbike with no helmet.

Look after your own family as best you can and accept that you can't do much more than that.

Many "parents" here have little clue and the fault can always be passed to whom/whatever, I see kids on the outside of parents on roads when walking, only the other day a small 2 year old wandered across the road in front of my car whilst the parents were oblivious, I had enough time to stop as a man in a pick up shouted something out, the parent still oblivious........they dont deserve kids

I am sorry to say, mind your own business.

Nothing will happen until there is an incident and then perhaps a sign will be put up and a security guard will watch things.... for a while.

The concept of watching out for and avoiding danger (ie safety) isn't there, and you will be regarded as some interfering bossy farang, or big-nosed-foreign-devil.

In the past week here in Chiang Mai, I've seen two cases of parents using the Maya shopping mall escalators as a free amusement ride. In one case, a parent accompanied two young kids to the escalator, and the kids tried to walk up the escalator that was going down. One kid fell a couple of times on the escalator steps. A guard looked on from a disatnce and did not intervene. The parent, passive at first, finally walked away with them.

And just yesterday, Chinese parents looked on and smiled as their 10-year-old played with a 5-year old on the steps of a moving escalator. The 5-year-old - who was barefoot - fell a couple of times on the steps and managed to get back up. I'm surprised his little fingers or toes didn't get stuck in the mechanism, which would have made for a horrific scene. A guard intervened this time.

Anybody else witness such events? Should I intervene or mind my own business? These kids are risking severe trauma. The parents have no clue.

Used to do it all the time, although not barefoot. I also used to pry open elevator doors between floors, just to see what was there and what would happen...

I think I was 62 the last time I ran down the 'up' escalator. It was at a BTS station, and I had realized that I dropped a piece of electronics after I got out of a cab. Got halfway up, ran back down to the amazement of quite a few Thais...lost my stuff though...

I also got stuck in a turnstile in a supermarket once. They had to get a Crescent wrench to unbolt it from the floor in order to free me.

Why mention these things?

Because I survived them, learned important lessons, and became self-reliant. No doubt, by today's standards, my parents would have been thrown in jail for child neglect/endangerment, but back then, parents were not over-protective. Rather, they taught hard lessons when a child put him/herself in harms way.

Although your urge to intervene is no doubt well-intentioned, I would let the parents handle it - or not, likely.

Used to do it all the time, although not barefoot. I also used to pry open elevator doors between floors, just to see what was there and what would happen...

I think I was 62 the last time I ran down the 'up' escalator. It was at a BTS station, and I had realized that I dropped a piece of electronics after I got out of a cab. Got halfway up, ran back down to the amazement of quite a few Thais...lost my stuff though...

I also got stuck in a turnstile in a supermarket once. They had to get a Crescent wrench to unbolt it from the floor in order to free me.

Why mention these things?

Because I survived them, learned important lessons, and became self-reliant. No doubt, by today's standards, my parents would have been thrown in jail for child neglect/endangerment, but back then, parents were not over-protective. Rather, they taught hard lessons when a child put him/herself in harms way.

Although your urge to intervene is no doubt well-intentioned, I would let the parents handle it - or not, likely.

That's right , I remember my Dad used to cut off one of my fingers if I played on the escalators, after Id lost 3-4 on escalators, lifts ,stairs I'd learnt

And the ones that didnt survive?

Edited by kannot

Nothing will happen until there is an incident and then perhaps a sign will be put up and a security guard will watch things.... for a while.

The concept of watching out for and avoiding danger (ie safety) isn't there, and you will be regarded as some interfering bossy farang, or big-nosed-foreign-devil.

Exactly. I've learned to keep right out of Thais' affairs....they keep telling us it's their country and we're only guests and all the rest of it....so just let them get on with it.

Playing on an escalator is nothing compared to very young children riding pillion on a scooter clinging desperately to the rider or standing in front clinging for dear life on to the handlebars, no helmet either. I have been with Thais in their cars very with small children/babies sitting on their parents knee in the front seat. I said what happens if we have to pull up quickly, reply no problem ! You never see kids in car seats here.

The Thais have the attitude it won't happen to them and when it does it's never their fault.

Edited by jamie2009

Ah, yes a Chinese son. Have you ever heard of the "Little Emperor" syndrome among the Chins? It is well known around Asia. I had to contend with it for years. It is ok IMO as long they may potentially harm themselves however, it is no longer ok if they do something that may endanger or harass others, then one must take action. Usually just picking them up by the belt and going over to hand them to their parents has usually done the trick.

Quick ...cut down all the trees...a kid might climb one.

Sure there are some tragic outcomes, but that is the way of the world.

The helicopter parent is doing a lot of damage that won't become evident until their little darlings grow to become big darlings, but unfortunately, not adults.

Mum used to threaten us that playing with sticks would cause someone to lose an eye.....never did happen.

I would sooner be called an Interfering Falang or foreigner than see any child or person come to harm , Words dont hurt, but Accidents do.

I would sooner be called an Interfering Falang or foreigner than see any child or person come to harm , Words dont hurt, but Accidents do.

Some are concerned more for their ego than the safety of children around them... If you see something, help, how would you feel if you saw a kid potentially getting hurt and didn't do something about it?

As Thongkorn wrote - words don't hurt. Or perhaps some are unable to communicate on simple terms here and are a dash paranoid as a result.. 'big nosed foreign devil'... perhaps people may view you that way if you approach even minor issues from an arrogant or aggressive perspective.

Apply some balance, as much as I hate to see it, kids on motorcycles is simply transport, a means to an end. Kids playing on escalators is unnecessary. Kids climbing trees is simply fun with associated risks, we all know a friend who broke his arm falling from a tree.

Some of the comments on this forum come from the 'I never wore a seat belt and I lived' crowd... a fundamentally flawed argument - we all know better now and that includes not letting kids play on an escalator...

And yes... Helicopter parents aren't helping their kids... but neither are careless parents who fail to pay attention to their child's safety - they are simply playing into the hands of chance. A healthy Balance is all thats required of anyone, parent, onlooker, friend, stranger - anyone who wishes to be part of a community rather than some looking in from the outside, sometimes with bitterness, someone who assumes any response will be negative and thus pretends ignorance and carelessness.

Some are concerned more for their ego than the safety of children around them... If you see something, help, how would you feel if you saw a kid potentially getting hurt and didn't do something about it?

As Thongkorn wrote - words don't hurt. Or perhaps some are unable to communicate on simple terms here and are a dash paranoid as a result.. 'big nosed foreign devil'... perhaps people may view you that way if you approach even minor issues from an arrogant or aggressive perspective.

Apply some balance, as much as I hate to see it, kids on motorcycles is simply transport, a means to an end. Kids playing on escalators is unnecessary. Kids climbing trees is simply fun with associated risks, we all know a friend who broke his arm falling from a tree.

Some of the comments on this forum come from the 'I never wore a seat belt and I lived' crowd... a fundamentally flawed argument - we all know better now and that includes not letting kids play on an escalator...

And yes... Helicopter parents aren't helping their kids... but neither are careless parents who fail to pay attention to their child's safety - they are simply playing into the hands of chance. A healthy Balance is all thats required of anyone, parent, onlooker, friend, stranger - anyone who wishes to be part of a community rather than some looking in from the outside, sometimes with bitterness, someone who assumes any response will be negative and thus pretends ignorance and carelessness.

I can't be bothered if i see a kid fall or whatever. It's not my kid and the Thai don't want to be intervened with. So just let them do.

And i see plenty of very young kids drive motorbike just for fun, the parents let them do. They even drive on the road in BKK or on the sidewalks. Even in our common private parks on the walkingtrack and they won't move for pedestrians because they've never learned any manners.

Their parents like to drive against traffic without light/helmet, would you also tell them it's dangerous to do so?

They also have open naked electric wires every in the parks, are you going to tell them it's dangerous?

I can be busy all day telling Thai what is dangerous but i won't. Even if i see accidents like Thai with a baby falling with their scooter i move on. It's not my business and also don't want to get into problems by helping them. I heard story's of the helper bringing them to hospital and he had to pay the bill.

Also kids don't belong in restauants, i even seen them walking on the buffet in Sizzlers or daddy who puts them on it to sit and touch the food. Not my business but sure it aggrevates me.

Last week for the first time i told a kid to p... off in a shop. I wanted to buy something expensive while he was playing hide and seek and running around me all the time, even through me legs. Found out he was to son of the salesgirl. clap2.gif

Thailand doesn't raise their kids any manners, they can do as they please. Who are we to tell them different?

You had better start hanging around at the escalator then.

It is a bit like the poor kid who put her hand in a mixer and lost fingers last month...... if you aren't there it will happen.

Your throwaway cliche can't help all of them, the parents are the issue.