BBC Documentary: Thailand's Drug Craze

Any documentary with Stacey Dooley in can only de described as shallow at best. The issue of rife yaba trafficking and consumption has everything to do with slapdash enforcement, targeting little fish and inactive posts.

A disgrace

I've been around the block a couple of times, and I've been around 'tweakers' in the US. Pills to snorting to shooting and smoking (Not me! By 19 I knew this was bad sh*t based on a segment of people I knew: friends of friends who I tended not to associate with). Absolutely a horrendous drug once you get to serious addiction time. Nothing like an armed, paranoid tweaker. Not good company. The lucky ones get to NA. The others burn out fast and die early.

Agreed. Yaba. Thailand thinks it has a problem. They're just out of the starting gates and still wading in the kiddy pool. I still think they should legalize kratom and then put effort into drying up the source of meth coming into the country and the distribution network. I'll stop there. Anything else I'd say would bounce this post as 'potentially libelous'. You understand the connections or you don't.

Edited by connda

Haven't bothered to watch this, as when I saw Stacey Dooleys name, I thought it'd be an unbalanced & amateur effort.

The UK has a massive problem with Heroin, Cocaine, Mcat, & alcohol.

However, it does have alot of Drug Clinics, detox/rehab centres & the addicts can - eventually get access to them.

People in glass houses & etc.

Any documentary with Stacey Dooley in can only de described as shallow at best. The issue of rife yaba trafficking and consumption has everything to do with slapdash enforcement, targeting little fish and inactive posts.

A disgrace

She's a total retard. She's pronouncing it incorrectly, wrongly translating it's name to English, using ten years' old footage, to support a new drugs craze premise. All this when it's been massively curtailed for over a year, it's already been replaced by ice, and the only person she can get to support her lies about it being dangerous is some visibly genetically impaired low life from England who she's probably promised a minute on the TV if he supports her script.

The fact that harsh law enforcement has not stopped people using the drug and or supplying the drug ( same as nearly every other country that has recreational drug consumption problems ) obviously necessitates a modified approach to the problems of recreational drug consumption and how does society at large deal with the fall out.

What I get a bit of a laugh from his how a raging drunkard and alcoholic loser who drinks themselves into that self inflicted condition and or drinks themselves to death is more or less tolerated by society the world over while most people are more or less indifferent to the wide spread social problems caused by alcohol.

Meantime, when a person becomes addicted to a recreational use "drug"......then everyone is out raged by this and ready to pounce on the user and beat them to death and or want to participate in lynching the drug user and join the lynch mob....with unwarranted enthusiasm.

The significant difference between alcohol addicted people and recreational drug addicted people is the fact that alcohol is legal while the recreational use drugs are illegal......so in effect it allows the hard core critics to justify their vindictive criticism of illegal use drug addicts verse the legal use alcoholics...while alcoholism is far more wide spread and socially problematic ....but.... it is legal and therefor self absolving ( in a manner of speaking) and righteously defended, largely in part because it is legal.

Both alcohol and recreational drug addiction are classified as substance abuse by those that are classified as substance abusers....but why is it that alcoholics are not nearly loathed as much or hardly loathed at all as compared to a person who becomes addicted to a recreational use drug while both groups, regardless, are substance abusers.

Naturally we do not want to encourage the use of addictive recreational drugs but the fact of the matter is they are here to stay and they will not go away while there is always going to be a percent of the people ( and it will continue to grow ) that use the recreational purpose drugs for self serving gratification regardless of the how harsh the laws are and or how harshly they are enforced.

The first thing that seriously has to be done is to decriminalize the users of the recreational purpose drugs and treat them in a manner that does not stigmatize them and makes matters worse while all too many of them end up in jail or prison for their self indulgence but mainly they are there because the form of self indulgence they chose ( I agree, bad choices and bad decisions ) is deemed illegal while society at large is still very intolerant of that form of self indulgence while they are very tolerant and or very indifferent to all the problematic aspects of self indulgent alcohol consumption and all that is entailed ...largely in part, because alcohol is legal.

It has got to change because the way it is being handled now is not going to address the on going social problems in any meaningful way while believing that recreational use drug supply and recreational drug use can be controlled by sustaining the present status quo along with the wide spread mentality of people relevant to how recreational drug users are regarded by the rest of society.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Bring real meth to this country, and you will see the making of real problems. Yaba is kid's play.

Think you would have to be very naive to think it isn't already in Thailand.

Not wide spread ...as of yet...but could become another very problematic drug in Thailand.

What to do...what do do???

A disgrace

She's a total retard. She's pronouncing it incorrectly, wrongly translating it's name to English, using ten years' old footage, to support a new drugs craze premise. All this when it's been massively curtailed for over a year, it's already been replaced by ice, and the only person she can get to support her lies about it being dangerous is some visibly genetically impaired low life from England who she's probably promised a minute on the TV if he supports her script.

So you think it's not dangerous , another buffoon.

Wish she'd learn how to pronounce YABA properly. Was surprised the doctor could understand her, although he started copying her and pronouncing it like her after a while.

She did a better documentary on Islam in Luton a while back: My Hometown Fanatics.

Edited by katana

A disgrace

Ya Ba has not been replaced by Ice rather Ice has been added to the problem by been all the more available than before.

Meantime they are still pumping out the Ya Ba by the millions of pills

The profits are too lucrative to ignore.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

I wouldn't expect a high standard of investigative journalism from someone who can't even come close to mastering her native language so all things considered, Luton's Stacey Dooley hasn't done a bad job.

The beeb however IMO doesn't do a great deal to enhance its reputation either at home or abroad by using her; a case of shortsightedness in the pursuit of higher ratings I'd say.

I've been around the block a couple of times, and I've been around 'tweakers' in the US. Pills to snorting to shooting and smoking (Not me! By 19 I knew this was bad sh*t based on a segment of people I knew: friends of friends who I tended not to associate with). Absolutely a horrendous drug once you get to serious addiction time. Nothing like an armed, paranoid tweaker. Not good company. The lucky ones get to NA. The others burn out fast and die early.

Agreed. Yaba. Thailand thinks it has a problem. They're just out of the starting gates and still wading in the kiddy pool. I still think they should legalize kratom and then put effort into drying up the source of meth coming into the country and the distribution network. I'll stop there. Anything else I'd say would bounce this post as 'potentially libelous'. You understand the connections or you don't.

There is also DEFINITELY a correlation between the rise of yaba and the government crackdown on "Gancha" What irony. Issan, easy to get your hands on yaba (disgusting stuff) and hard to find the herbs (God's gift)