Thai police give assurance single gateway won’t breach freedoms

webfact

Today a revolution wouldn't require violence. Just shut down the internet. No banking, no domestic or international business transactions, no export orders, nothing imported, no money transfers, no web sites can be reached, no email communication, commerce stops...

Heck, just block ports 80, 110 and 443 for websites, SSL and email and it all stops... whistling.gif

All stops for whom? The internet isn't the only communications network on the planet. and while "internet" type traffic would go down if the network fell over some how, that doesn't stop banks or business transactions, or basically anything you listed.

Glad most groups don't stop at disaster planning with with oh if the internet is dead, well we are fkd then and don't bother provisioning critical connectivity that travels via a different infrastructure.

Damn..... so much time and effort everyone could save

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not being cynical, this

Amidst widespread criticism of the single gateway concept, Pol Lt Gen Prawut confirmed that the matter is currently under study by all related agencies and nothing has been decided yet.

is an outright lie. Many of us thought this idiocy would be quietly dropped but given these ongoing statements, together with even the usually reasonably conservative BP headlines AND 'pro royalists headed by Pra Buddha Issara (what a joke)' are demonstrating against the US outside their embassy. Someone's not very well.

With apologies for going off topic, what are they protesting? There doesn't seem to be any mention in the news forum...?

'Biased Thais' who criticise Thailand and who support HRW. Unable to link but on front page BP today.

Rubi ( a trusted poster here) said it was so people would stop chatting and go back to work. Was he wrong?

'Biased Thais' who criticise Thailand and who support HRW. Unable to link but on front page BP today.

Rubi ( a trusted poster here) said it was so people would stop chatting and go back to work. Was he wrong?

If it is the Rubi I am thinking of it would not. Rubi would just spend more ime talking to himself

Edited by harrry

So.....the list of potential subjects or areas that may be blocked, as the kind gentleman himself has listed, is exactly what people are concerned about. Anything that is deemed to be offensive (regardless of the reality, fairness or legitimacy of the concern) will be considered offensive. Great Fire Wall of China indeed. It's interesting - The Thai government treats citizens like children, where as the U.S. government treats it's citizens worldwide as financial slaves to collect tax from no matter where they actually live.

"Instead, the system would aim to filter out any information that could threaten national security, tarnish the image of the Thai monarchy, or contaminate the minds of children."

That information would be called "the truth" in the rest of the free world.

This is a joke a real joke I do not want to believe what the police here are saying They have no credibility . If this single gateway comes into existence I will leave Thailand after 12 years of living here

This is true communism

No, it is true fascism.

This is a joke a real joke I do not want to believe what the police here are saying They have no credibility . If this single gateway comes into existence I will leave Thailand after 12 years of living here

This is true communism

No, it is true fascism.

What do the Chinese call it?

This topic is within my area of professional expertise. I was dealing with this issue long before this country had a connection to the worldwide Internet.

I'm sorry to see this proposal. It's an indicator the Thai government is overwhelmed by the volume, diversity and complexity of network traffic and is trying an easy way out to deal with it. If Thailand chooses psychological security over revenue and cultural development — the country and it's citizenry will lose out in the long run. There are other ways to deal with illegal, distasteful, or potential security information via the Internet.

A single point of presence gateway is a chokepoint. When content filtering and common port blocking is added, it will slow down all traffic in and out of Thailand. It will do so to the point that tourists and businesses will not put up with it. They'll just go elsewhere. And they will not put up with VPN blocking. Many travelers rely on secure encrypted tunnels to transfer money, access financial accounts, transfer sensitive business documents, file news and other reports, and more. And of course, Thai's doing business internationally need these services inside and outside of Thailand. And users running VPN's --- a service they say they'll block --- will be unable to protect themselves from man in the middle and other hacker attacks while ensuring the security, confidentiality, and reliability of their information.

The downsides:

This will KILL TOURISM, FOREIGN INVESTMENT by big businesses, and dilute Ex-Pat retirement communities — all big revenue sources. Anyone relying on the Internet — especially those with ties to western source information — will simply go elsewhere. Those that are here will eventually leave because of it. Take a look at Vietnam for example of how businesses and tourists DO NOT operate there for a hint about what will happen here.

The upside:

There's only ONE upside and it is for the Government. This will allow them to control speech, protests, filter out objectionable content, filter in selective intercepts of targets and prevent any semblance of confidentiality across Thai networks. What they want is an easy way to filter and intercept everything and followup at will. I understand why they wish for this capability. But it's stultifying to the development of the country. The losses will not outweigh the gains.

While this peanut is telling Thailand that a single gateway won't cause any HR issues......the PM meanwhile denied ever ordering the system to be progressed..........(denying of course is a national past-time when the sh** starts to mess with the fan)!

They're good these top men....!

Instead, the system would aim to filter out any information that could threaten national security, tarnish the image of the Thai monarchy, or contaminate the minds of children.

and this could be EVERYTHING, depends on the government. And I bet they will use the "gateway" properly.

Instead, the system would aim to filter out any information that could threaten national security, tarnish the image of the Thai monarchy, or contaminate the minds of children.

and this could be EVERYTHING, depends on the government. And I bet they will use the "gateway" properly.

You are being sarcastic right? You don't read about the facebook stuff eh? No, you must be being sarcastic.

After a large number of dissenters intentionally flocked to the websites of many state agencies in a bid to cause their servers to crash, Pol Lt Gen Prawut called on those individuals to stop their action, warning that police could identify who they were and they could be subjected to punishments under the Computer Crime Act.

I'm not a tech guy, just curious, if they can already identify and punish individuals who violate unspecified rules, why do they need a single portal?

After a large number of dissenters intentionally flocked to the websites of many state agencies in a bid to cause their servers to crash, Pol Lt Gen Prawut called on those individuals to stop their action, warning that police could identify who they were and they could be subjected to punishments under the Computer Crime Act.

I'm not a tech guy, just curious, if they can already identify and punish individuals who violate unspecified rules, why do they need a single portal?

They are not tech guys either.

You are being sarcastic right? You don't read about the facebook stuff eh? No, you must be being sarcastic.

sure, it was sarcastic

He looks like he knows less about how the internet works than me, which is really saying something, because I tend to believe it is all magic.

Of course it's not magic Al you fool! Allow me to explain.

In every internet server are thousands of little mice on a treadmill...

Ok, so overlook that the Thai police are the most corrupt and least trustworthy organisation in Thailand...

If this single gateway was 'for the people' then why would the police be involved or even feel it their place to comment?

Coz they are the best police force in the world?