Four foreign tourists caught up in Chiang Mai karaoke bar ‘scam’

webfact

• 3 months later...

has anyone had any success frequenting these places going stag as a foreigner?

has anyone tried picking up talent who stand on the sidewalk out front or arranging a sideline to meet at another time/place without going into the establishment?

Edited by fey

has anyone had any success frequenting these places going stag as a foreigner?

has anyone tried picking up talent who stand on the sidewalk out front or arranging a sideline to meet at another time/place without going into the establishment?

Yeah, all you have to do is to go up to whichever one you feel has the most talent and ask her out on a date, take her to the movies or something

• 2 years later...

i also experienced this last night.tuktok drove me to ktv bar,thry urged to order me beers,and picked 2 ladies.totally,we ordered 9heinekin beers, 2 juices for ladies,one fruits salad,for the third time i asked for my bills,i am shocked because my bills is almost 13,000 baht in less than one hour only.i refused to pay but the mamasan,all of them,argued with me,the mamasan slapped me on my head and told me,i need to pay,no more asking many questions.i said to myself,it was a SCAM.i know my bills will only around 2500 baht,and i only have 3000baht in my pocket,that is why,i always asked for the bills eventhough the girls always asked to order more.its not a VIP room actually,the mens,always go inside and out to VIP room each minute to pour the beer on glasses.finally,to stop the conversation,i pay.too many orders on the bill.when i go out,because i am angry,i slap the mamasan,that is my wrong moves,they all come and fight me,i thought it was my end.luckily,i am ok,no serious injury.other guys helped me to cover me from the mens and the ladies who kept kicking and punch me.finally,i ran away,one guy,returned to me my wallet and a souvenirs item i bought.the tuktok driver did not help me.maybe he has a commission from the ktv who overpriced my bills and fight me.got a good tuktok driver to help me drove back to my hotel.this is a real lesson for me,and for those people who is travellers or live in chiangmai,i hope my experienced will help you to avoid this nightmare.i have to leave thailand today so i do not have time to go to the police and tell the story.this must be end here,too bad for the reputation of THAILAND

• Confused 1

Doesnt sound like they were overcharged.  Low quality tourists as usual.

Everyone knows you should never go to a Thai Karaoke  club.

They can be very expensive and you have to pay by the hour  for girls to sit and talk with you.

Total waste of time &  money.

9 beers @159= 1431

2 ladies juice@179=358

1 fruits salad@250=250

400 for each lady=800

total=2,839 baht

plus a TRAUMA 

I have no idea with this issue until i experienced and looked in the blogs in the internet. these people must punish and closed their bars immidiately and tuktok drivers never allow a tourist to happen this to them. they know already but they always do just to make money