News headings

OldSarge

Your most recent news article describing one of the more recent swindles practiced on the greedy and unwary in Thailand is entitled, "Welcome to my kingdom, foreign fools".  While I am certain the article is factually accurate, I am posting to mention that the Thai -- both the individuals and the government -- are extraordinarily sensitive to things that foreigners say or write which might be interpreted as being critical of the King.  This title falls into that category, in my opinion.  It could be interpreted as depicting His Majesty in a less than favorable way.

I enjoy the news and information at thaivisa.com and now with the forum there is even more to read and enjoy.  However, I cannot help but wonder if the difficulties experienced by some of those who have posted here (and, of course, those who only have the difficulties and don't post here) arise because of similar unintentional insults given to their Thai hosts?  Or if not begun by such a slip, at least made larger than the difficulty might otherwise have been.

I am, myself, an American by citizenship and birth.  However, I lived in Thailand for four years back in the late 1960's and early '70's, have been married to a Thai for 35 years, speak the language well enough not to need a "guide", and plan on retiring to the Kingdom next year.  I mention all that just so the reader will know that I have some basis for this post.

If a couple of punters get off a plane and the the old GREEN MIST descends..what can you do?..ref welcome to anywhere.Greedy and unwary tourists will always fall for a scam and why not its what makes the world go round.A report recently highlighted thr Nigerian swiz...ie send us your banks details and we will deposit so many millions of unregistered $$$ in your A/C...sounds crazy but thousands for fairly "inteligent" people replied and got screwed.B.T (the Bangkok Post) is always warning readers but idiots still think they will get rich quick..I agree with last post do NOT blame Thailand.When Mary and Joseph go on holiday it will happen in London,New York,the Moon...RA Wan.. :o

Thank you, Fester, for taking my post in the spirit in which it was meant.

Rinrada:  That was the implicit message I was sending.  Poor Richard's Almanac (Benjamin Franklin):  "A fool and his money are soon parted."

P.S.  The owners of The Nation (or at least some of them) are exceedingly well-connected within the Kingdom and have a bit more license than, say, the writers at the "Wall Street Journal, Asia Edition", who were threatened with expulsion about a year ago.