Djokovic and Nadal mix tennis with politics on Thailand trip

webfact

Djokovic and Nadal mix tennis with politics on Thailand trip
JOCELYN GECKER, Associated Press

BANGKOK (AP) — Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal swapped tennis outfits for traditional Thai silk jackets Friday and shook hands with the head of Thailand's ruling junta on a trip that mixed sports with politics.

The No. 1-ranked Djokovic and his longtime rival Nadal were in Thailand for a sold-out Friday night exhibition match dubbed "Back to Thailand." The event was organized by local authorities to boost confidence in the country's safety after the Aug. 17 bombing that left 20 people dead and more than 120 injured.

One of the day's photo opportunities was a visit to the Erawan Shrine, the site of the blast, where the players laid wreaths and posed for pictures on a brief visit, under tight security and a pelting rain.

The trip to Thailand came with easy money for the two players — who split a payment of 150 million baht ($4.1 million), according to the Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand, an organizer of the event. But it clearly came with a few strings attached.

One requirement, apparently, was dress code. The players were outfitted in traditional silk jackets in colors of respect for the country's monarchy. Djokovic wore yellow — the color that represents the king of Thailand — and Nadal wore blue, in respect for the queen.

In their formal attire, the players visited the ornate Grand Palace and then met with the junta leader, Prayuth Chan-ocha, who led a May 2014 coup that overthrew an elected government and then installed himself as prime minister.

"I'm glad that two of the world's best tennis players are here in Thailand," Prayuth told the U.S. Open champion and the No. 7-ranked Nadal during a meeting at his office, known as Government House.

"This will get more people to come to Thailand," Prayuth added, as he shook hands with each player and they exchanged gifts. Djokovic, winner of 10 Grand Slams, and 14-time Grand Slam champion Nadal each presented the junta leader with a tennis racket, and Prayuth gave them each a golden replica of a traditional Thai mask.

Thailand's vital tourism industry has grappled with how to overcome the bad publicity of the 2014 coup followed by the August bombing, in the heart of Bangkok, which police say was linked to China's Muslim Uighur minority.

Later in the day, the players warmed up for the evening match, a best of three-setter, which both said was meant to give a good show to the crowd in the 5,700-seat Hua Mark indoor stadium.

At a Thursday news conference, Djokovic said he hoped to bring "a smile" to fans faces and Nadal said the purpose of the exhibition was "to create good fun for the people."

Djokovic and Nadal have faced each other 43 times in tour-level matches, with Nadal winning 23 but Djokovic winning their last two matches at the French Open and Monte Carlo.

Djokovic last came to Thailand in 2008 when he lost the final of the Thailand Open to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, while Nadal visited the capital in 2010 for the same tournament and lost in the semifinals.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-10-02

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame most of that 150 million baht didn't go to the families of those killed or injured. Perhaps that would've brought a little more happiness, and respect, to Thailand.

Of course, if they had the money for that, they probably would've just increased the reward to the police.

Yes, Im sure if they are willing to pay 150 mil Baht people will come to Thailand. Would even do it myself but require a bit more to meet the junta and shake his hand or a bit less if I can have 2 minutes of free speech.

So what exactly would you say in your two minutes ?.

What liberties have you been deprived of which you had before ?. Maybe you own an M79 and got put out of work ?. Or maybe you are a rice-miller whose profits have dropped sharply ?.

Would you talk about the people who have gone missing ?. Oh, there aren't any. I bet you wish there were so you could complain about it.

Would you talk about wanting 'democracy' ?. Do you seriously think you had it before when every MP voted for the disgraceful amnesty bill because they were ordered to by Thaksin for his own personal benefit ?. Where a deputy Prime-Minister said "We don't need to worry about minorities. If they don't like it, they can vote us out" ?.

Did you go out and protest against the amnesty bill ?. Or the attempt to take massive loans off-budget ?. Did you voice concern that the government were murdering protesters to try and scare them away ?.

Even if you had your 2 minutes, I'm quite sure we would just get more of the same meaningless rhetoric we see here all the time which you just copied from some other red-shirt forum. You pretend you are championing some 'noble cause' but in reality you want everything back the dirty and corrupt way it was before.

I trust that they have their Non-Imm B visas and Work Permits all sorted before my taxes partially pay them 220 years worth of my salary for a game of tennis and a few photo opportunities.

Edited by Aj Mick

Yes, Im sure if they are willing to pay 150 mil Baht people will come to Thailand. Would even do it myself but require a bit more to meet the junta and shake his hand or a bit less if I can have 2 minutes of free speech.

What liberties have you been deprived of which you had before ?. Maybe you own an M79 and got put out of work ?. Or maybe you are a rice-miller whose profits have dropped sharply ?.

Would you talk about the people who have gone missing ?. Oh, there aren't any. I bet you wish there were so you could complain about it.

Would you talk about wanting 'democracy' ?. Do you seriously think you had it before when every MP voted for the disgraceful amnesty bill because they were ordered to by Thaksin for his own personal benefit ?. Where a deputy Prime-Minister said "We don't need to worry about minorities. If they don't like it, they can vote us out" ?.

Did you go out and protest against the amnesty bill ?. Or the attempt to take massive loans off-budget ?. Did you voice concern that the government were murdering protesters to try and scare them away ?.

Even if you had your 2 minutes, I'm quite sure we would just get more of the same meaningless rhetoric we see here all the time which you just copied from some other red-shirt forum. You pretend you are championing some 'noble cause' but in reality you want everything back the dirty and corrupt way it was before.

"What liberties have you been deprived of which you had before ?"

Me, John? None, but the Thais have lost the right to have a say in who shall rule the country. Do you understand that, John??

"Would you talk about wanting 'democracy' ?. Do you seriously think you had it before when every MP voted for the disgraceful amnesty bill because they were ordered to by Thaksin for his own personal benefit ?"

Yes John, it was a democracy, albeit a very flawed one. Please tell me John what you would characterize the present junta as? And why do you keep harping on about the amnesty bill that failed. The present junta overthrew the elected government and promptly granted themselves and amnesty from any past, present and future crimes. How do you like that, John??

"....but in reality you want everything back the dirty and corrupt way it was before."

And the present bunch smells of roses, do they John? Remember your hero threatening journalists who questioned his wealth? Is that the actions of a person with nothing to hide? Is it, John?

Rafa and Novak a hit with PM
Lerpong Amsa-ngiam
The Nation

30270118-01_big.jpg

Tennis players Rafael Nadal of Spain, left, and Novak Djokovic of Serbia, right, visit the Erawan Shrine yesterday where they paid their respects to the Brahma statue.

BANGKOK: -- Tennis legends treated to market tour ahead of Bangkok showdown

Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal found Prime Minister Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha a genial host yesterday as the tennis stars immersed themselves in Thai culture with a tour of Bangkok attractions ahead of their evening showdown.

World No 1 Djokovic and 14-time Grand Slam winner Nadal stopped by at Government House yesterday morning to pay a visit to the Thai premier, right after their trip to the Grand Palace, where they signed a book of well-wishes for His Majesty the King.

Deputy Government Spokesman Major-General Weerachon Sukhonthapatipak later quoted Prayut as saying, "Their visit to Thailand will help boost confidence in Thai tourism."

That confidence was shaken by a bomb attack in central Bangkok's Ratchaprasong shopping district that claimed the lives of 20 people and injured over 100, many of them tourists.

Prayut also demonstrated his knowledge of tennis, congratulating Djokovic for winning the US Open and Nadal for winning 14 Grand Slams. He also wished Nadal well in his recovery from an injury and said he hoped both would win more titles.

Both Novak and Nadal showed up in traditional Thai silk shirts, Djokovic's a golden colour and Nadal's light blue. They then set off on their morning itinerary prior to their "Back to Thailand Nadal vs Djokovic" tennis match due at the Hua Mark Indoor Stadium last night.

The prime minister led them on a tour to a small market near Government House, trailing an entourage of journalists more used to the political beat. "So now all of you have abandoned your interest in me?" quipped the PM.

As they strolled by an OTOP shop, Prayut paused to pick up local hand-woven bags for the two tennis stars. Then a vendor handed the premier and his guests amulets made of Siamese ruby.

Djokovic and Nadal also took time to sign an instrument at a guitar shop owned by musician Kitti Guitar Gun. The guitarist was quick to say the instrument was no longer for sale and would be kept as a memento.

Later, the world No 1 and his Spanish rival also defied a sudden thunderstorm to present flowers at the Erawan Shrine, site of last month's bombing.

Then came a practise session, where national players Pruchya Isarow, Puriwat Chatpatcharoen, Nattanon Kadchapanan and Phassawit Burapharitta got the chance to hit with the two legends. Rising star Puriwat used the opportunity to study Djokovic's game.

"It was brief, but I learned a lot from him. His stroke is so clean and powerful and his movement is so rapid. I've wanted to be like him since the moment he walked on a court," said the country's No 3.

Pruchya was thrilled to meet Djokovic, who was his idol growing up.

"I learned so many techniques from him, even when he was warming up. His groundstrokes were world class. I want to follow in his footsteps," said the Thai No 2.

Just prior to the main event, fans were given a special treat with the farewell match of Thai No 1 Danai Udomchoke, who paired with Noppawan Lertcheewakarn against two Thai tennis legends, Paradorn Srichaphan and Tamarine Tanasugarn. HRH Princess Ubolratana Rajakanya was also present at the Novak-Nadal exhibition to present trophy to the winner.

On Wednesday evening a charity auction of racquets donated by the players made US$75,000 in proceeds, including a US$10,000 donation from Hathaithep Thirathada. The proceeds will go to His Majesty the King's Rajprachanukroh Foundation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sports/Rafa-and-Novak-a-hit-with-PM-30270118.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-03

Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition

After all the recent bad publicity and popular unrest Thailand is keen to re-gild its attractiveness as a tourist destination, so what better way than to invite Novak Djokovic and Rafa Nadal to play an exhibition match of tennis?

The two players didn’t mind the razamatazz. They were each being paid a cool two million euros to turn up, so both did their best to put on a good show.

However after he won the first set six – four it was clear this was not just any old exhibition match for Novak Djokovic, who seems utterly determined to win everything he enters.

Nadal did his best and drew some blood with his famous forehand, but in the second set Djokovic was even ore dominant, winning 6 – 2 to take the match in straight sets.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-03

"Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal swapped tennis outfits for traditional Thai silk jackets Friday and shook hands with the head of Thailand's ruling junta on a trip that mixed sports with politics."

I'm not seeing where they mixed in politics.

PR for tourism yes.

Politics, no. Shaking hands with a country's prime minister is hardly politics.

Edited by Bluespunk

"After all the recent bad publicity and popular unrest Thailand is keen to re-gild its attractiveness as a tourist destination, so what better way than to invite Novak Djokovic and Rafa Nadal to play an exhibition match of tennis?"

Two people playing a non competitive match in a minority sport in an event that will be seen barely anywhere outside Thailand?

Just about anything I'd say.

Edited by Bluespunk

And what, pray tell, have you done?

That's 81.67M baht each, times two = 163M baht.

I wonder how far that money would have gone to helping the poor farmers of Thailand. How much it could be used to help the water systems in this country.

I think everyone would agree this was solely for the purpose of increasing tourism. I really don't believe tourist money helps the poor farmers very much, but I have no doubt a lot of tourist money finds its way into the pockets of people that are already rich.

This is why, IMO, Thailand has such a divide between rich and poor people and why the country is in the state it is in.

At least the two don't have to worry about saying the right things or indeed even saying anything at all because if necessary statements will be issued on their behalf without even a ' by your leave '.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

The headline for this story is grossly misleading.

To me it reads that Djokovic and Nadal made political comments. But that doesn't seem to be the case. If anything they were exposed to a covert politics by Mr. P. For what reason, I don't know nor care.

first in my lifetime I agree with all post here!!! Djokovic and Nadal, dont have any moral or ethic

Why should they?

Its the fault of people to expect a lot from Celebrities...They are mere sport personalities, entertainers. I would be more shocked if a person who found cure for a disease did this...

They are here to entertain and make money, just like circus clowns...

"Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal swapped tennis outfits for traditional Thai silk jackets Friday and shook hands with the head of Thailand's ruling junta on a trip that mixed sports with politics."

I'm not seeing where they mixed in politics.

PR for tourism yes.

Politics, no. Shaking hands with a country's prime minister is hardly politics.

it is a shame for this tennis player, who have so much money earnt in their life, that they need to make a promotion tour for a criminal

Junta leader, who break the Law in Thailand when took over the power with his army.

to change the law after the coup doesnt make it illegal and one day he and his felloews will be in front of a court for their crimes!

Next time the tennis players will shake hands in North Korea or with some African Army General, there are people with moral courage and without,

this tennis player belong to the second group