A different visa run to Savannakhet

I have been to Savannakhet twice in my life, the first time, I spent the weekend in Leena GH, the last time, I chose Nong Soda GH. Not the most inspiring places in the world.

This year I dropped my passport into the consulate on a Friday morning, at 8.00 AM there were 4 people waiting, no westerners. The gates opened, I wandered unto the window, and was out 90 seconds later.

I had plans to ride my bike unto the plain of jars over the weekend and return in the next week to pick up my passport, the consulate guy said no worries and asked where I was heading.

I didn't do this in this order but heres some ideas for you, if you really don't want to stay in Suvannakhet.

About 128 km north of Savannakhet, is the town of Thakhek, a nice town with a some interesting sceney. In the town is the Inthira Hotel, one of the best I have come across in Laos. The road to Thakhek is pretty good, nothing at all to worry about.

F5nwwNy.jpg

I arrived there on my return from Phonsavan, and I payed the low season rate of $25, which includes breakfast. I slept like a log and when I woke in the morning, I thought I was at home. The bathroom was spotless, the water hot and a great shower.

PSnuUdM.jpg

I spent the evening in the restaurant watching the world go by and reading a book, there were other travellers there, I could have taken a wander about town, but i didnt find anything of interest when I had ridden through before.

7JyLSbH.png

Heres some info about the surrounding countryside. About 30 minutes ride from town on the road to Vietnam, are lots of caves that you can take a stroll around ( free - 20,000 kip ). Scooters can be rented in the towns fountain square, a few meters from the Inthira. Think like the limestone scenery around Ao-Nang or Ninh-bhin.

I don't know the logistics of this, but after dropping your passport off at the consulate at 9.00, if you took a taxi or even a bus, you could be in Thakhek by lunchtime, book a room, rent a bike, take a tour around the area, enjoy the evening in the restaurant, take a leisurely breakfast and roll into Savannakhet at 1.00 PM ready to collect your passport.

Sure, its not as cheap as staying in Savannakhet, but really, its a pretty grim experience - the high light being the long walk to Chez Bourne or DaoSavan, then trek back to a sub-par guesthouse.

• Like 1

so they didn't ask you for your passport to register at the hotel like they do in Thailand?

last time in savanakhet in a guesthouse they did not asking my passport because i left him at the consulate :P

• Like 1

so they didn't ask you for your passport to register at the hotel like they do in Thailand?

I never give my passport, I always use my driving licence.

I used a passport once in Bangkok .. The receptionist started to get crappy because I my visa had expired, I wasn't, I was on extension.

He applied for the visa on Friday so he will not be getting his passport back until this afternoon.

I started this journey 2 weeks ago. I rode from HY > Petchaburi > Surin > Entered at Pakse > Savanakhet > Thakhek > Phonsavan > VN border > Thakhek > Pakse > N.Rachasima > N.S.T > HY. I picked up my passport last week and I just got home at the weekend. Over 5000 km in total.

Where can you pay $25 for a private hotel room in the west?

Did OP have any problems picking up passport?

No, there was no problem picking up my passport. I spoke with the guy at the consulate when I presented it and he said "No problem, you go have a holiday in Laos, we will save it for you" and sure enough there was mine in a different pile to the rest of the previous days, in the plastic tray.

What's the point of being in Laos and go over 100km to stay in a hotel that looks like any hotel in the world or at least in Asia, and pay the price that you would be paying in most Western countries?

Fair enough, I know this isn't for everyone - For me, I have done many visa runs, Penang, Vientiane, K.Bahru, Poipet and Savanakhet.

I could flip it round ? What's the point of being in Laos ( 2000 km each way for me ) Check into some overpriced, overused guest house with bad bed, noisy air con, a nylon blanket and dirty shower, sit around and smoke too many cigarettes to kill the time and lie on a bed watching movies on a laptop.

For me, I travel thousands of miles, to get there, this time around I wanted to enjoy the visa run, learn something and relax. I have never been to the Plain of Jars, despite planning to over 15 years ago.

I stayed in a few other guest houses in Laos, this one was $25 / 200,000 kip ( they charged me something like 825B ) inclusive of breakfast and I thought it represented good value. If you want, there is a place in Thakhek, Travel lodge, its 60,000 kip, you get one old bed, a noisy fan that doesnt reach the bed, people slam doors through the night and the staff clear their throats in the bathroom at 5.00 am .. for the full Lao GH experience.

I didn't actually see the hotel as a big thing, I didn't take photos, but the whole point of staying in this area was to ride out to the caves on Rt.12, enjoy the impressive scenery. in addition the local food was good, the people friendly enough and I spent some time with some cool backpacker types on holiday in S.E asia for the first time.

On this trip I also stayed in some pretty sweet bungalows for 50,000B which put Leena and Nong Soda to shame. I also checked out some places en-route which were 150,000 kip which were no better, but because the clients were NGO's or hydro-scheme builders the resort owners thought it was OK to overcharge.

If like me, you don't want to waste a couple of days of you life in Savanakhet - heres an option - its not for everyone, maybe you have extra time, maybe you have the wife with you. i'm just reporting something different.

Edited by recom273