Thai govt eyeing BBC Thai over 'negative' Prayut report

webfact

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it seems that they have not learned that saying nothing is more often than not the right thing to do - diplomacy

could anyone imagine David Cameron or Barac Obama raising an issue about a photo on social media or commenting on it, rather childish TBH and not becoming of a countries PM

the comments were likely made by someone claiming to be a representative of the BBC when in fact they were just some random poster having a dig, laugh it off and move on

Edited by smedly

well it seems that they have not learned that saying nothing is more often than not the right thing to do - diplomacy

could anyone imagine David Cameron or Barac Obama raising an issue about a photo on social media or commenting on it, rather childish TBH and not becoming of a countries PM

the comments were likely made by someone claiming to be a representative of the BBC when in fact they were just some random poster having a dig, laugh it off and move on

They are a news/media operation not a politician - they are expected to say things. The photo wasn't just on social media either - The Nation used it one of their articles.

A few days ago the PM said he met the UM leader (which we say pictures for) and the US President. At the time there were not pictures that I could see and no report on his meeting with the US President.

Well, firstly, I stand corrected as I have now seen the pictures, however I am still at a loss as to why the PM with such a desire to increase ratings in Thailand would not be shouting at the rooftops after a positive meeting with the President. Well, perhaps thats because the brief meting was not so positive at all.

Who knows, but it is strange..

A foto-op is not a meeting. The head of the current administration refrained from shouting from the rooftops the shutter speed.

Thailand be careful dealing with the BBC, or you'll be sacked like the Top gear guys.....

I wouldn't expect much from the Bigoted, liberal reporting of the BBC, they have been known

to get things wrong, very wrong...

AS DO YOU

Thailand be careful dealing with the BBC, or you'll be sacked like the Top gear guys.....

I wouldn't expect much from the Bigoted, liberal reporting of the BBC, they have been known

AS DO YOU

Are your analyses always this complex, profound and nuancé?

The pm is probably upset because it's obvious from the photo Obama was just saying hi to anyone in the room. I think the Malaysian pm is next to our general waiting for the same photo op. The pm can't spin the event into a summit or meeting as its obvious it's nothing.

Shame on Obama.

The handshake is a betrayal of democracy, freedom and human rights - all things America supposedly stands for.

Guess nothing gets in the way of US corporate economic interests.

You are excessively regrettably naive. Churchill shakings hands with Stalin umpteen times, presenting Stalin with the priceless Sword of London, was way way more than what you call here "a betrayal of democracy".

The BBC is no longer broadcasting impartial news, but has for a long time been biased in favour of Thaksin and his associates, and won't hear a word against Yinglack.

I took part in a phone in radio program, at the request of the BBC, after the coup which threw Thaksin out. As soon as I said I was in favour of the coup and it would be good for the country, they cut me off, just because it was not what they wanted to hear as the program was to oppose political coups.

I find Aljazeera a much more unbiased line of reporting.

The Thai leaders certainly must have a few skeletons in the closet if they are trying to prosecute persons for free speech crimes that occur outside of the country. In contrast, they turn a blind eye to outside overseas thais that do things that would be crimes in thailand.

Right, like the police chief who, when he was about to be called in for a disciplinary hearing (allegedly skewed an investigation to shield real murderers), he emptied his bank accounts and fled to Miami - where he still resides. The short arm of Thai law enforcement hasn't even asked that he be returned. Yet Thai self-appointed politicians can get their undies tied in a knot over a pic of a handshake in NYC.

The BBC is no longer broadcasting impartial news, but has for a long time been biased in favour of Thaksin and his associates, and won't hear a word against Yinglack.

I took part in a phone in radio program, at the request of the BBC, after the coup which threw Thaksin out. As soon as I said I was in favour of the coup and it would be good for the country, they cut me off, just because it was not what they wanted to hear as the program was to oppose political coups.

Maybe they thought you had nothing interesting to say........

Maybe they thought you had nothing interesting to say........

Also logorrhea perhaps.

they realised you were a fascist and supported anti-democracy? right judgement I'd say BBC has always given unbiased and fair reporting it's in their charter and their corporate governance is still strong as ever

they realised you were a fascist and supported anti-democracy? right judgement I'd say BBC has always given unbiased and fair reporting it's in their charter and their corporate governance is still strong as ever

There are a lot of these people around , often former "tourists" who for the usual have ended up in the boonies.Curiously though mostly of obviously proletarian origins they tend to be staunch defenders of the Thai establishment in puzzling contrast to their dislike of toffs at home.Go figure.And yes the BBC is right to keep these oiks off the air or at least keep them down to a manageable number.

Unfortunately in Thai culture, males are gods and have been brought up that way by parents.

What the parents fail to realize is that giving them that status, they grow up to be ignorant knuckleheads as they have the same godly attitude at school and life in general

Some grow up to drive tuk tuks while others are useless as men of any value

Then others manipulate and harm others to get to the top where their knucklehead attitudes again take precedence and they cannot understand true criticism of their basic stupidity which has been nurtured since birth...

Somewhat of a sweeping generalisation wouldn't you say? I know some good Thai geezers biggrin.png Interesting how Thai men are always referred to as 'males', rather alike animals, whereas Thai women, some of whom are patently ho's are always called 'ladies'. Never 'women'. Hmm coffee1.gif

I think males in Thailand are called that rather than insult them and call them overgrown boys. They on the most part in general are far from being men.

Unlike the majority of farang males here then ..

There are a lot of these people around , often former "tourists" who for the usual have ended up in the boonies.Curiously though mostly of obviously proletarian origins they tend to be staunch defenders of the Thai establishment in puzzling contrast to their dislike of toffs at home.Go figure.And yes the BBC is right to keep these oiks off the air or at least keep them down to a manageable number.

This is the same BBC broadcasting footage of masses of people dressed in red and yellow shirts 'rioting' who turned out to be ... Philippine football supporters, right? laugh.png Still, despite their overt PC content, one Asian looks very much like another to them coffee1.gif

Shame on Obama.

The handshake is a betrayal of democracy, freedom and human rights - all things America supposedly stands for.

You are excessively regrettably naive. Churchill shakings hands with Stalin umpteen times, presenting Stalin with the priceless Sword of London, was way way more than what you call here "a betrayal of democracy".

Oh wise one, in case you haven't noticed, it ain't the 1940's anymore!

Obama has sacrificed US integrity to not lose a pawn in the economic pseudo fight with China in exactly the same way George W did when he gave the all clear for the US to torture!

Prayuth represents the opposite of everything America supposedly stands for - shaking hands with the man just gives the unelected regime usable material for their ongoing propaganda campaign and therefore prolongs the misery Thais have to endure as they struggle to live under these clowns

Shame on Obama.

Obama has sacrificed US integrity to not lose a pawn in the economic pseudo fight with China in exactly the same way George W did when he gave the all clear for the US to torture!

Prayuth represents the opposite of everything America supposedly stands for - shaking hands with the man just gives the unelected regime usable material for their ongoing propaganda campaign and therefore prolongs the misery Thais have to endure as they struggle to live under these clowns

"Oh wise one, in case you haven't noticed, it ain't the 1940's anymore!" So?

Shame on Obama.

"Oh wise one, in case you haven't noticed, it ain't the 1940's anymore!" So?

He a hoot isn't he? He should have been saying this to the junta as they seem to be living in the past!!

Sounds like Ianf was there on the ground risking his life to deliver what was going on, and that's why he seen it differently from pretty much a majority of the other journalists too.

There is no doubt as to what the red shirts were doing, but the trouble with sycophants is that they have drank so much official kool aid, it stops them from looking at things with an open mind.

I am truly grateful that I've only live here approaching 4 years as it must have been horrendous for the entire expat community under the Shins, their lives must've been one of fear, what with 90 day reporting and not being able to own their own land... Things are so much better now......oh wait, it's just exactly the same.. In other words most are just bitter and twisted lonely old men stuck in Nakhon Nowhere without much of a life, and it's easier to blame others for their miserable existence.

I known plenty of people who have lived here 15 years plus, whose lives are pretty much the same as it was the first weeks of arriving here, their biggest complaint is the value of the baht, and big C or Tesco lotus not having a decent curry powder!!! The majority are smart enough to keep their noses well out of Thai politics, and leave that to the locals to fight over, why bite the hand that feeds you? ;)

Because some of us care very much that the Thai people are allowed to live in freedom and are able to speak their mind about political issues (and everything else. - including those issues we are not even allowed to mention now) Why should we abandon our democratic principals just because the country has been taken over by a bunch of rich crooks who definately do not have the welfare of the country in mind. Every military coupe in the last 20 years has made things much worse economically and this latest coupe is no exception, in fact it has made things so bad that its a shining example of why the military should not try to run a country.

It is not impossible that this is true but without citing specific instances, supplying cites and sites, you're just flapping your lips.
Clearly you don't watch the BBC overseas service enough. Its not like the old BBC which was respected world wide as the voice of truth. Now its a commercial organisation run mostly out of Singapore for this part of the world. They DO get a lot of stuff wrong and they DO put a huge amount of bias on certain stories - like middle east refugees. Having said that, these days J.Head seems to have a much better approach to reporting on Thailand, much as he annoys ynh. Having said That. The Beeb really annoyed me by presenting clearly paid by Sutheps mob handlers, unemployed southern yellow shirt thugs mothers as "Thai middle class protesters" The Beeb also presented Ying Luk in a very bad light ("how many times a day does she phone her brother?" said Lucy wetting her knickers - so pathetic Beeb, so very pathetic) and failed to mention the disgusting threats made against her by the yellow shirts, including those made by one recently trying to infiltrate the police force. Edited by MiKT

It is not impossible that this is true but without citing specific instances, supplying cites and sites, you're just flapping your lips.
Clearly you don't watch the BBC overseas service enough. Its not like the old BBC which was respected world wide as the voice of truth. Now its a commercial organisation run mostly out of Singapore for this part of the world. They DO get a lot of stuff wrong and they DO put a huge amount of bias on certain stories - like middle east refugees. Having said that, these days J.Head seems to have a much better approach to reporting on Thailand, much as he annoys ynh. Having said That. The Beeb really annoyed me by presenting clearly paid by Sutheps mob handlers, unemployed southern yellow shirt thugs mothers as "Thai middle class protesters" The Beeb also presented Ying Luk in a very bad light ("how many times a day does she phone her brother?" said Lucy wetting her knickers - so pathetic Beeb, so very pathetic) and failed to mention the disgusting threats made against her by the yellow shirts, including those made by one recently trying to infiltrate the police force.

Correct, I don't watch the Beeb much, prefer to get my news from French and Italian tv. I agree the current Beeb is pathetic, paupers who fill in an hour with 20 minutes of promos because they don't have the budget to be a world-class news organization like Al-Jazeera. They do get things wrong, their Yingluk coverage, as you mention, was disgraceful -- but intentional bias, no.

Clearly you don't watch the BBC overseas service enough. Its not like the old BBC which was respected world wide as the voice of truth. Now its a commercial organisation run mostly out of Singapore for this part of the world. They DO get a lot of stuff wrong and they DO put a huge amount of bias on certain stories - like middle east refugees. Having said that, these days J.Head seems to have a much better approach to reporting on Thailand, much as he annoys ynh. Having said That. The Beeb really annoyed me by presenting clearly paid by Sutheps mob handlers, unemployed southern yellow shirt thugs mothers as "Thai middle class protesters" The Beeb also presented Ying Luk in a very bad light ("how many times a day does she phone her brother?" said Lucy wetting her knickers - so pathetic Beeb, so very pathetic) and failed to mention the disgusting threats made against her by the yellow shirts, including those made by one recently trying to infiltrate the police force.

Correct, I don't watch the Beeb much, prefer to get my news from French and Italian tv. I agree the current Beeb is pathetic, paupers who fill in an hour with 20 minutes of promos because they don't have the budget to be a world-class news organization like Al-Jazeera. They do get things wrong, their Yingluk coverage, as you mention, was disgraceful -- but intentional bias, no.
Your possibly right on the bias as far as Thailand is concerned. But they do have the budget (now influenced by advertising) they just spend it on the wrong stuff- which includes highly paid presenters and talking heads who behave like prima donna's whos views are more important (to them) than the facts and who incorporate their pet biases and frequently anti-British leanings into the news. You can just see the eagerness (slavering like Rotties) to blame the UK/US for "bombing children" instead of blaming those bringing children into the line of fire. Or telling the world it is the Wests fault that they are inundated with refugees. Also far too much emphasis on the views of minorities instead of balanced coverage.

Your possibly right on the bias as far as Thailand is concerned. But they do have the budget (now influenced by advertising) they just spend it on the wrong stuff- which includes highly paid presenters and talking heads who behave like prima donna's whos views are more important (to them) than the facts and who incorporate their pet biases and frequently anti-British leanings into the news. You can just see the eagerness (slavering like Rotties) to blame the UK/US for "bombing children" instead of blaming those bringing children into the line of fire. Or telling the world it is the Wests fault that they are inundated with refugees. Also far too much emphasis on the views of minorities instead of balanced coverage.

They are not perfect but they are also the organisation that brings you HardTalk, Questiontime, Panorama, Horizon and a shed load of other hard hitting stuff that goes in hard and doesn't care who it riles, they also brought us Top Gear and Spitting Image so personally I cannot think of any other broadcaster that does that so successfully and much as I like Al Jazeera the goings on in Mauritania or Qatar have limited appeal for me

I also personally think it is right to highlight where the UK and others get it wrong but yes it sometimes goes way to far the other way too, still could be worse could be Faux News....

Shame on Obama.

OK, Churchill could do what Obama can not because of your fatuous timeline. How about moving up to 1978? A 4-day state visit to England by Romania's thug, Nicolae Ceausescu, finishing with Liz having a State Din-Dins for the thug. You will excuse that? -- but not Obama's handshake at the United Nations which is extra-territorial to the US.

They are not perfect but they are also the organisation that brings you HardTalk, Questiontime, Panorama, Horizon and a shed load of other hard hitting stuff that goes in hard and doesn't care who it riles, they also brought us Top Gear and Spitting Image so personally I cannot think of any other broadcaster that does that so successfully and much as I like Al Jazeera the goings on in Mauritania or Qatar have limited appeal for me

I also personally think it is right to highlight where the UK and others get it wrong but yes it sometimes goes way to far the other way too, still could be worse could be Faux News....

Yes, I should have made myself clearer. Auntie does some fantastic programmes especially drama (shame about TG). Its the new overseas news department that is commercialised and has such lousy, really, really lousy "personality" not news content dominated programmes; and I think it is a mistake by the UK government to let them broadcast commercial advertising in the name of the BBC and to allow them to broadcast so little news about the UK and so many hours spent on how some remote bunch of raggies are shooting up somebody as if their pathetic suicidal attacks have any real relevance to the rest of the world or to the UK. Its supposed to be news , not a continuous stream of hour long programs about how one village in Africa has made water pipes out of bamboo and the like. Its sports coverage is even more pathetic, without counting I would bet they broadcast more promo hours than actual sports coverage. Talking of personalities how about the Wimbledon coverage where the guy spent the entire programme talking about how he made too much noise and not one frame of actual tennis was shown. That is absolutely typical of my complaints. But to bring things back to Thailand, I think they can do much better and report on why the economy is going down and tourists are not coming because of the unh.