What does 3rd party car insurance in thailand cover exactly?

ghworker2010

I purchased my new pickup a year ago with finance. Recently the finance company sent me a invoice for 7100 baht and the wife suggested its for the new registration sticker. Someone else said its the 3rd party insurance.

What does it cover? If I have an accident with another car and its my fault. Does this cover the costs?

What about if I injure someone in a crash. Does it cover personal injury? Ive seen news on this forum of farang causing injury and death to a thai due to car accidents. Everyone comments about how the farang will have to pay money to the family. Doesnt 3rd party insurance cover this?

cheers

If you have a new pickup You should have First class insurance.

In the case of you (Fralang) having an accident, You call the insurance, Their rep comes out to you and deals with it. Don't get involved in arguments about accident just tell them "Talk to the insurance rep".

If you have a major accident and someone is killed make sure the Insurance has BAIL BOND.

If you are foolish enough to take only 3rd party and have an accident, your going to get well and truly screwed.

The 7,100 will be for Road Tax and the Compulsory government Insurance.

Compulsory - This is the government insurance and is a minimum requirement for owning a car. Covering life and injury of driver, passengers and third party. The cover however is very basic and if you do have an accident then be prepared to pay. Worse still if you are involved in a serious accident then you could well end up in jail as there is no bail bond to this insurance.

If you have a new truck you really should have 1st class cover.

2nd and 3rd class doesn't cover you or your vehicle

1st Class : Comprehensive - Comprehensively covering the vehicle insured, life and injury of driver, passengers and third party property damage and liability.

2nd Class : Third Party Liability with Fire and Theft - Covering life and injury of driver, passengers and third party property damage and liability. PLUS a 200,000 Baht Bail Bond as well as theft and fire damage.

3rd Class : Third Party Liability - Covering life and injury of driver, passengers and third party property damage and liability. PLUS a 200,000 Baht Bail Bond.

http://www.aainsure.net/car_insurance_thailand.html

All vehicles over a certain age have the insurance reduced to third party I own a classic car and got my lawyer to get the best cover I am with Asia insurance for a small extra premium I am covered for fire flood and complete cover for repairs on my car as long as my accident involves another car

All vehicles over a certain age have the insurance reduced to third party I own a classic car and got my lawyer to get the best cover I am with Asia insurance for a small extra premium I am covered for fire flood and complete cover for repairs on my car as long as my accident involves another car

That's only in the case of a non fault accident and the other driver is insured.

First you've got to prove they were at fault.

Second, you've got to catch them if you can.

Edited by Faz

Normally when you purchase a brand new vehicle you get 1 year full comprehensive coverage insurance included.

Not if you do not ask for it.........

OP if you bought the car a year ago and drive are you not aware what insurance you have? Because whatever it is it would also become due just like the road tax.

I would suggest you check out your paperwork with the wife if it is not in English - which it could be if you use a good broker............

I live in CM and just bought an older model car. What's the best place to get car insurance in CM?

Many thanks.

Some of the major insurance companies will have agents in CM – for example Viriyah Insurance – probably listed on their websites.
An alternative for an older car is a bank – I know Bangkok Bank and K-bank (Kasikorn) has – probably most of major banks have car insurance, but some banks will only insure Thais.
Bangkok Bank will insure aliens, and their car insurance is called “Auto 1st 2Plus” – K-bank has something similar, but they may only insure Thai car owners – where you has close to same benefits as many 1st class insurances, but 3rd party material damage is limited to 1 million baht, and your own car is fixed to a maximum of for example 250,000 baht (Bangkok Bank); that is Okay for an older car (if not special or vintage), even a brand new car will not be insured for full new value, but about 70 percent only (give-and-take). The price is fixed, for example Bangkok Bank charge 8,800 baht a year (K-bank, if I remember right, was (2 years ago) 200,000 fixed maximum for own car and around 7,000 bath annual fee).

The chart below shows the typical coverage for 3rd Class vehicle insurance.

Third Party Cover

Own Damage Cover

Additional Coverage per Endorsement

1. Limit Liability for Bodily Injury or Death over CTPL Limit to 2,000,000 Baht/Each Person

10,000,000 Bath/Each Accident.

2. Limit Liability for Property 5,000,000 Baht/Each Accident.

1. Own Damage

- Baht/ Each Accident

1. Amount of Deductible - Baht/Each Accident

2. Fire & Theft

- Baht

1. Personal Accident

Driver 1 Person 100,000 Baht

Passenger 6 Persons 100,000 Baht/ Each Person

2.Medical Expense

2.1 Driver 1 Person

100,000 Baht

1. Passenger 6 Persons 100,000 Baht/Each Person

3. Bail Bond Insurance 200,000 Baht/Each Accident

And just to help clarify what is "3rd Party" (not to be confused with 3rd Class Insurance)

An insurance policy purchased for protection against the actions of another party. Third-party insurance is purchased by the insured (firstparty) from an insurance company (second party) for protection against another party's claims (third party).

And a 3rd party claim against you could either be the person driving or passengers in the other vehicle in the accident, bystanders, owners of property damaged such as you driving your vehicle into a person wall, home, etc., and/or it could even be passengers within the vehicle you were driving. The Third Party coverage portion of a person's policy is very important...too many people seems to focus more on the portion of the policy which covers repair of their own car versus the Third Party coverage where people may sue you to the ends of the earth.

Edited by Pib

• 4 months later...

That's only in the case of a non fault accident and the other driver is insured.

Sorry it covers my repairs even if I am in the wrong I pay 1000Baht for this extra cover

Sorry it covers my repairs even if I am in the wrong I pay 1000Baht for this extra cover

Sorry, 3rd party insurance, which is what this discussion was about, covers damage to a 3rd party, not your own damage.

Sorry, 3rd party insurance, which is what this discussion was about, covers damage to a 3rd party, not your own damage.

When I first imported my car from Germany it was insured first class as I said it is now a collectors car the insurance is now 3rd party please read and try to understand what I was saying I pay a 1000Baht extra fee and that covers flood, fire, theft and any repairs to my car as long as the accident is with another vehicle even if I am at fault,

When I first imported my car from Germany it was insured first class as I said it is now a collectors car the insurance is now 3rd party please read and try to understand what I was saying I pay a 1000Baht extra fee and that covers flood, fire, theft and any repairs to my car as long as the accident is with another vehicle even if I am at fault,

Flood etc is 2nd class coverage, own damage due to accident is first class. If you have all that for 1000 baht you have an excellent deal, but I suspect there is more to it.

Yes I do have an excellent deal maybe insuring cars here for nearly 30 years has earned me that. I also have excellent deals on all my other cars. Please in future quote your experiences not try to make statements about other peoples to which you have no knowledge. The information I gave was intended to be helpful so that the person would know that other options are available not just the quotes that you have stated. It all depends on the brokers that you deal with. If we all followed the basic guidelines you stated and did not ask for more then of course we would only get the basics. Insurance companies do not advertise all of the extras you can obtain after all they are insurance companies.

Yes I do have an excellent deal maybe insuring cars here for nearly 30 years has earned me that. I also have excellent deals on all my other cars. Please in future quote your experiences not try to make statements about other peoples to which you have no knowledge. The information I gave was intended to be helpful so that the person would know that other options are available not just the quotes that you have stated. It all depends on the brokers that you deal with. If we all followed the basic guidelines you stated and did not ask for more then of course we would only get the basics. Insurance companies do not advertise all of the extras you can obtain after all they are insurance companies.

Let me go out on a limb here: a 1st class insurance as you say you have for 1,000 Baht is not possible.

There have been more threads about this in the past, where it became clear in the end there was more to it.

Do you not read before commenting I said I have 3rd class insurance the extra 1000 Baht premium does not upgrade the policy to first class it just gives me some extra cover. If I hit a tree I would not be covered only if an accident involves another vehicle so it is not first class just a 3rd class policy with some extra cover.

Do you not read before commenting I said I have 3rd class insurance the extra 1000 Baht premium does not upgrade the policy to first class it just gives me some extra cover. If I hit a tree I would not be covered only if an accident involves another vehicle so it is not first class just a 3rd class policy with some extra cover.

The coverage you claim is 2nd class plus some first class elements.

I wish you all the luck in case you have to make a claim, you're going to need it.

I cannot believe you are so cynical is it because you have been disproved? I do not have second class insurance on this car just basic third class with an upgrade premium. I have made 3 claims 2 were when the car was hit while it was parked the other was my fault involving a motorbike no problems in obtaining repairs. I posted my situation to let the original poster know that more was available than the copy of policies that you printed. As I said talk to the brokers to get the best deal possible they will not give information for free. So please stop trying to discredit me as if you are the font of all knowledge. Wishing you a bright and happy day

The coverage you claim is 2nd class plus some first class elements.

I wish you all the luck in case you have to make a claim, you're going to need it.