Replacing ipad mini screen.......precautions?

cheeryble

Hi my mini's been dropped on the same corner twice.

It cracked but has worked just fine but the cracks are slowly getting worse like a spider's web in the corner and little bits are even coming out amazed it still works so well.

I'm still very happy with this machine and it has updated to 9.0.2 so I don't need new I've decided to replace the screen or screen facing whatever it is.

I'm told it can be done about 1500 baht in CM and I know roughly where to go one of the places on the north side of the moat. (though any specific advice and prices appreciated)

A couple of questions:

I have some reservations about the fix as the metal band which goes around the edge is slightly dented only a mm or less.....but we'll let the techie tell me about that.

My main thing is back up.

If all else fails then what?

I have regular storage 10.7gb used and 1.7gb available.

I have recently turned on iCloud Drive to ON

Under that in Settings>iCloud (On)

all of these are ON

Photos

Mail

Contacts

and so on down to Find my iPad

.....all ON.

iCloud has 2.49gb out of 5 available gb used so half free.

My photos though for instance don't seem to be shared between iPad and Macbook Air and recently (perhaps since turning on iCloud have the problem I just started the topic about ten minutes ago.

So,

as Laurence Olivier said in Marathon Man

"Is it safe"?

If he screws up the iPad somehow or no screen or whatever, can I retrieve my stuff?

Anything else I should ask I beware of?

Thanks v much

Edited by cheeryble

In my opinion, better to back up to your computer, then do a restore once repaired.

If you have iTunes on a computer: Open iTunes > Key your iPad password into your iPad to open it > Connect your iPad to the same computer with Lightning cable > Top left of screen select iPad > Summary > In Backups > This computer > Back up now.

I would not use the "Encrypt Local back up".

I have never tried it, but you might be able to do both an iCloud and a local back up. Just to be safe.

HTH

Thx phet phet

Narked Diver on my other topic about blurry photos also suggests double back up.

For readers information I believe an Apple shop screen costs abt 4000

I went to the booth in the middle of the first plaza after the new Powerbuy (CM) and was told 4-5hours and 3000bt.

I pointed out that I believed the price nearer 1500 was available.

No way they said.

I walked 200 yds to the next plaza.

Yes, and 1800bt.

So I'll just sort out my back ups and get it sorted.

This is not the worst example of skinning I've come across lately.

Those little round 2032 batteries I asked in a key shop for one for a car remote locker.

200 baht he said

I said I normally pay 20 baht in Amorn.

Ah these are Sony he said and showed the card on the wall.

Thanks and I left and went to the pen shop next door.

You don't do batteries do you ?

2032 model.

He pointed at the wall, a real Panasonic on a card.

25baht.

Edited by cheeryble

I have never tried it, but you might be able to do both an iCloud and a local back up. Just to be safe.

HTH

The benefit of doing an encrypted local backup is that it stores your app logins and email account logins inside the backup - normal local backups and iCloud backups don't do this

When you restore from the encrypted backup you don't have to have to login to your apps again

The downside is that you have to remember the password you used to do your backup - I use an app like 1password to help with this

Here's a link that hopefully does a better job than me of explaining encrypted backups ;)

www.theinstructional.com/guides/using-itunes-encrypted-backups

HTH

The benefit of doing an encrypted local backup is that it stores your app logins and email account logins inside the backup - normal local backups and iCloud backups don't do this

When you restore from the encrypted backup you don't have to have to login to your apps again

The downside is that you have to remember the password you used to do your backup - I use an app like 1password to help with this

Here's a link that hopefully does a better job than me of explaining encrypted backups wink.png

www.theinstructional.com/guides/using-itunes-encrypted-backups

I recently lost all my phone data, because somehow "encrypted backup" was enabled when I did a normal back up.

I didn't know the password to restore. I had never even set it up, so couldn't even try to guess what it might be. Ended up doing a clean install, but luckily had some data in iCloud. Lost a lot of stuff though.

Any backups now, I double check "encrypted" box is not ticked.

Hmmm

It's not a regular password we're talking about like Apple ID?

Seems to me it's not difficult to remember a newly set password question is are they asking for something we may have set two years ago when we first did a back up.....I for one can't even remember if I did although I have certainly 'synched'

A friend suggested I look up changing the screen on iFixit with the view they are likely to warn one about back ups and pitfalls, so I shall do that later today though I should be doing my homework for Bridge re-learning class :-)

Again thanks for both yr input please stay tuned most useful

Edited by cheeryble

First, let me say I know nothing about my PC or my iPad and use a computer guy for problems.

Had a speaker problem on my iPad when using skype. He identified the problem but said never let anyone open your iPad (in Thailand that is) because you will no doubt have additional problems. Best to live with it or get a new one.

It's not your Apple ID password

It is a password you use specifically for your backup (although you could set it the same as your Apple ID if you want)

I also think you can save the password to your apple keychain if I recall correctly

Whilst trying to get all this sorted ND.....and I should do it BEFORE a cracked digitiser change (I learn it's NOT the screen, that's underneath).....I'd like to get a handle on the whole thing.

I have learned from elsewhere too now what you suggest:

Back up with iCloud but ALSO to Macbook. (and it's an age since I backed up the Macbook that should be on the list too.

(I tried connecting the two with a USB cable but it didn't work may be because it's a third party extra long cable.....i must borrow the wife's when I can.)

OK it seems the iPad is registered and getting backed up to iCloud.....hence the fuzzy pictures.

But the Macbook also seems to be registered....I can look up the account details via system prefs.

But I read if that;s the case the photos for instance get distributed to all devices after a change to any one of them.

That ain't happening and I don't want it to my iPad storage would be overfilled instantly.

Could it be I have two accounts?

NEXT.

I can remember when the Notes....whcih I use a lot as my "to do book", recording quotes, words, hundreds of subject lines.......automatically transferred between iPad and Macbook,,,,but it caused terrible trouble because if one made a hint of a mistake on one device the other one's Notes info got wiped instantly.

I would love coordination without this danger.

Hmmmmm

Hi ND and PP (and others!)

fact is things have become a bit confused.

Before I started any synching or iclouding, and after clearing out old podcasts etc. I had 1.7gb free out of my humble iPad mini memory.....but that was just fine and adequate.

Now the available storage went down to like 100mb. I felt the machine was running a bit crankily and slowly.

I tried dumping podcasts (though it seemed they MAY be coming back somewhat), anyway done it a couple of times and now got 350mb free.

Well this is obviously not enough.

Same time The iPad photos seem to have just remained those I took or downloaded with the iPad BUT they're fuzzy until they can download from iCloud.

So I've got loads less memory and yet less remembered.

What could be taking up the free space?

Over on the Macbook on the other hand it seems to have imported at least some photos from the iPad (which is what I wanted, a back up before screen replacement) .....I better check whether the WHOLE iPad library has been imported. (I still have like 30-40GB free on Macbook disc so no worries.)

I'm a bit lost.

I'd like to get the free memory storage thing sorted out on the iPad before I get the screen fixed.

I need to be able to view photos offline just like I could a week or so ago.

I wanted to read a document I photographed yesterday and I can't unless I happen to be online and then wait a minute.

Just started checking if ALL photos are storing to Macbook.

This aint easy as even on starting I checked 6 pix I took last night and they come under an October 1st date about 50 photos back in time from now.

What gives?

Hmmmm.....

(ps thanksa gain for all yr valuable help I know I can switch things on or off to iCloud but surely the photos movies and podcasts are the big gobblers and they haven't changed or have been recuced yet less available storage.)

Connect to iTunes on your computer via cable and go to Device > Summary.

Then look through TV shows, Movies, Apps etc to make sure that you haven't got things like "download last 5 movies" ticked, or "sync last 5 unwatched tv shows" or something like that.

Connect to iTunes on your computer via cable and go to Device > Summary.

Then look through TV shows, Movies, Apps etc to make sure that you haven't got things like "download last 5 movies" ticked, or "sync last 5 unwatched tv shows" or something like that.

Thanks PP

will try over weekend

Phet Phet

I checked device>summary yesterday

First thing I noticed was NONE of the main tick boxes were ticked.....let alone the "extras" such as you suggested.

In the meantime if I may I'm going to ask one or two questions as they come up ......I'm learning here, and need to regardless of this screen repair issue.

I'll jus put down points one by one like Wittgenstein :-)

1. I upgraded to el Kapitan on the Macbook quite a change and looks good so far. iPad is on the latest 9.0.2 also now.

2. I realise I have two Apple IDs. I don't think this matters but will stick to using one for the time being I think it's OK to keep the other and may even become useful sometime. Maybe the other is for purchases (usually free) or maybe they both are.

Action: nothing for now.

3. I clicked iCloud in System Prefs and when I click account details and enter the (Correct) password the little loading thing happens but it doesn't get there.

4. I realise I have a couple of recordings of chats with a dear departed friend on iPad Voice Record app.. Do not want to lose. I have an option to upload to youtube.

Can I make this non-public on Youtube?

5. Still do not understand how so much of my spare memory was gobbled when I now have fuzzy photos in iPad instead of the full pixel version this being saved in iCloud.

The spare memory is now so tight I need to constantly dump podcasts to keep things running. Last week I had the best part of 2GB free and all my photos there for the viewing offline.

More later

Edited by cheeryble

cheerybie

Sorry, I don't know much about uploading to Youtube.

For far better info than I can give you on Apple stuff, you should try the following two forums. Lots of helpful people on both. Got me out of trouble a few times.

Apple Discussions: https://discussions.apple.com/community/ipad and Macrumors http://www.macrumors.com

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE:

I got a new mini iPad screen for 1500 bt.

Within a week it was broken......maybe I had shoved it into my side pocket a bit hard I thought.

Also the screen started flickering and typed by itself....out of control.

I considered dumping it and getting new but thought I could repair again and give to my darling niece. So I took it back bit my tongue and asked for another screen for another 1500t.

(Nice guy by the way not what you'd call any sort of scammer)

Well a week later the flickering started again.

I figured maybe some sort of bad connection which would be round the edge so I pressed around the edges.

Same day I noticed a fine crack across the screen....may have been my pressing but would never have happened with a real screen.

So obviously the screen quality is rubbish.

Same thing happening.....may work a few minutes.....then flickering, self typing, and flicking between apps.

I need a new iPad..........or other tablet......now.

I can get a mini4 for about 16000t.

But it's hardly any thinner lighter or better screen than the iPad 2 which they are selling the 32gb (enough) for 11,700.

Don't play games so don't need speed do I?

So which do I buy.....is the 4 that much faster I will notice it in say Maps or whatever?

Or should I be more radical and after years leave Apple for the tablet and buy something else possibly better and probably cheaper with probably more apps available and no tie to Apple Store?

I should mention I also use a Macbook Air and have to think about compatibility.

Thanks and all thoughts welcome.

(ps Apple say they can transfer photos etc to new iPad hope the flickering business doesn't make that a problem)

(pps wondering if I'll get biased answers on the Apple forum and maybe should have gone to general computers. Let's see. )

Edited by cheeryble

I read the mini 4 is 1.3 times faster and just over a mm thinner than the mini 2, and about 20gm (from 300gm) lighter........not world breaking.

Disadvantages of iPads .....no sd card upgrades to storage

Apart from that pretty good.......stable (for years )

Can Android devices pass viruses need anti virus?

Edited by cheeryble

CB. You might want to look at something like Seagate Wireless Plus Mobile storage hard drive to keep a back up of your iPad stuff. Just as an added precaution.

I have the 128GB iPad Air 2 and the Mini 4, and obviously with the bigger screen, the Air is better for working and watching films, but I just love that Mini. Fits in the inside pocket of my coat, and is a great device.

For your information., there are rumours that the iPad Air 3 might be coming in March.

Thanx phetphet

Yes love the mini and use MacBook Air for movies and typing type stuff.....a good combo.

But being recommended Android for a 7 inch tablet I really don't need the syncing power much and can use other clouds than iCloud whcih I have found a bit of a pain.

For half the price may give it a try ll get the latest model whereas there I'd Mn 2 i weqwppppppppppqqe