Yorkshire puddings

Guderian

I used to like the ones made by WWM Co. before they closed down. They did a big family size version and smaller individual ones for 20 Baht each. So where can you buy Yorkshire puddings now? I've seen imported frozen Waitrose Yorkshires in the Central Food Hall but they were ridiculously expensive. Is there anywhere now selling locally made Yorkshire puddings? Thanks for any info.

Villa may have them but the prices will probably be even higher than at Central!

If you have an oven they are extremely easy to make yourself.

The basic batter is easy to make but in times past I have had limited success getting them to rise properly. They often came out as flat as a rather thick pancake. If I was roasting a joint I might give it a go again but it's too much work to fire up the oven just to make a Yorkshire.

I checked in Villa a few weeks ago and there was nada.

Edited by Guderian

Go and see any of the bar owners which offer a Sunday Roast... I am sure they would be happy to sell you a few.

I was wondering if they make them themselves or if they buy them off a wholesaler? I know some of the smaller bars don't roast their own turkeys at Christmas, they buy them ready-roasted off some company, so I'm wondering if the same is true of their Yorkshires? .

Yorkies make them,and sell them. Quality varies though

Oh really, thanks for that information. I was in there a while back buying some bacon and had a look at their stock but I didn't notice any Yorkshires. I'll have a look again the next time I'm down that way.

The basic batter is easy to make but in times past I have had limited success getting them to rise properly. They often came out as flat as a rather thick pancake. If I was roasting a joint I might give it a go again but it's too much work to fire up the oven just to make a Yorkshire.

I make them successfully in a Pyrex bowl in my combo microwave, usually in the form of toad-in-the-hole. The trick is to turn off the smoke alarms and get everything as hot as possible. I also like to let the batter stand overnight.

I use this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9020/best-yorkshire-puddings

I agree that it would be a pain to heat up a regular convection oven just for this, and I dont think that the temp settings used for roast meat would be high enough for a good Yorkshire pudding anyway. Probably best to do them separately whilst your meat is resting.

I sometimes wonder how they would come out if made in one of the glass turbo ovens one sees here. I suspect that the air movement would cause them to collapse.

I don't buy them but my mate's wife is a stickler for Sunday roast. She swears by the frozen one's she can buy on the Ex Pat food shop on Sima CC Road, anout 1km past the traffic lights.

I would have thought most ex pat food shops flog them.

I don't buy them but my mate's wife is a stickler for Sunday roast. She swears by the frozen one's she can buy on the Ex Pat food shop on Sima CC Road, anout 1km past the traffic lights.

some of the best ones iv'e had were frozen. LIDL UK.

A couple of maybe little known fact about Yorkshire puddings, True Yorkshire people would make it in a large flat tray then cut it into squares, any left over would be served cold for a few days afterwards with jam. It would often be served before the roast meal the thinking being that it would fill up the guests at the table who would then not be able to eat so much of the main course. biggrin.png

How do I know this? I am a Yorkshireman from Sheffield smile.png

I make them successfully in a Pyrex bowl in my combo microwave, usually in the form of toad-in-the-hole. The trick is to turn off the smoke alarms and get everything as hot as possible. I also like to let the batter stand overnight.

I use this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9020/best-yorkshire-puddings

I agree that it would be a pain to heat up a regular convection oven just for this, and I dont think that the temp settings used for roast meat would be high enough for a good Yorkshire pudding anyway. Probably best to do them separately whilst your meat is resting.

I sometimes wonder how they would come out if made in one of the glass turbo ovens one sees here. I suspect that the air movement would cause them to collapse.

I try to follow what my mum used to do, which was indeed to put the Yorkshire on the highest shelf in the oven after the joint had been roasted. I'm not sure if she turned up the temperature. I remember her saying time after time that you had to get the dish it was cooked in (she used the glass top of a Pyrex casserole) very hot before adding the batter and then not disturb it once it was in the oven until it was cooked or it would go flat. She used an ordinary old gas oven whereas I've always had electric fan ovens - maybe that's why I'm not very successful at cooking them?

some of the best ones iv'e had were frozen. LIDL UK.

Yes, my local Co-op does a premium frozen Yorkshire using beef dripping which is relatively expensive but very tasty. Not available in Pattaya though. :(

And here's another interesting fact for Rimmer - the first commercial frozen Yorkshires were produced in 1995. That surprised me, I thought they'd been around longer than that.

Maybe I just don't get around enough, but in the shops I frequent they seem to be rarer than hen's teeth.

A couple of maybe little known fact about Yorkshire puddings, True Yorkshire people would make it in a large flat tray then cut it into squares, any left over would be served cold for a few days afterwards with jam. It would often be served before the roast meal the thinking being that it would fill up the guests at the table who would then not be able to eat so much of the main course. biggrin.png

How do I know this? I am a Yorkshireman from Sheffield smile.png

And here's a few more, courtesy of Khun Googun:

10 Facts About Yorkshire Pudding
  • If your pud is not 4” tall it is not a real pud, according to the Royal Society for Advancing Chemical Sciences. The society, which boasts Heston Blumenthal, as a member, has thousands of members working in the food and drink industries advancing our understanding of chemistry. The ruling was started by an Englishman living in the Rockies, USA, who’d had a string of pudding flops and emailed the society asking for scientific advice on how to achieve a great Yorkshire Pudding. More on this story here Advice:
  • The traditional way to eat Yorkshire Pudding was as a separate course before the meal. Folklore tells us that this was a trick used by Mums to fill-up the family so she could serve less meat, the expensive part of the meal.
  • The first Yorkshire Pudding recipe dates back to 1866 and was created by a woman called Mrs Beeton. Later recipes were published in 1737 by ‘The Whole Duty of a Woman’, and then in 1747 in ‘The Art of Cookery made plain and easy’, by Hannah Glasse.
  • Aunt Bessie’s is the best selling brand in the UK with 60% market share and selling up to 20 million Yorkshire Puddings each week, in busy periods, and the brand is now worth £173m. Launched in 1995 Aunt Bessie’s have gone from strength to strength and recently launched hot desserts.
  • In a time when meat joints were roasted on a spit the batter was placed beneath to catch and absorb the meat juices & meat fat. Nowadays that is harder to replicate with fan ovens and alike, although some chefs recommend still using meat juices & meat fat in the mixture.
  • Chefs contest whether the batter should be placed in the fridge overnight, made & left at ambient temperature or like Delia says, ‘Just make it and use it’. We’ll let you decide.
  • On 3rd February each year is ‘British Yorkshire Pudding Day’. On the first Sunday of February our traditional pudding is celebrated. Whilst this day may not be as important as so many other national days in the calendar, Yorkshire people are very proud of their national day. As Florence Sandeman, founder of British Yorkshire Pudding Day (BYPD), quite rightly says: “BYPD is not meant to be some sort of serious nationalistic statement with sinister undertones. It is merely a day set aside when everyone, be they British or not, can remember, enjoy and celebrate the joys of an age-old recipe.”
  • The one point that all chefs seem to agree upon is that the fat must be very, very hot when the batter goes in, getting a good sizzle as the batter hits the dripping is the secret to a great Yorkshire Pudding.
  • A campaign for the protection of the Yorkshire pudding was started in 2007, attempting to achieve the same rights and status as granted to Clotted cream, Stilton cheese and Parma ham. PDO or ‘Protected Designation of Origin’ status means that only products produced in a an agreed geographic location can use that name. The battle was not won and is still on-going. Although there is still hope because in February 2010 Rhubarb was given this status and now the name can only be used if grown in a 9 square mile area in West Yorkshire.

I try to follow what my mum used to do, which was indeed to put the Yorkshire on the highest shelf in the oven after the joint had been roasted. I'm not sure if she turned up the temperature. I remember her saying time after time that you had to get the dish it was cooked in (she used the glass top of a Pyrex casserole) very hot before adding the batter and then not disturb it once it was in the oven until it was cooked or it would go flat. She used an ordinary old gas oven whereas I've always had electric fan ovens - maybe that's why I'm not very successful at cooking them?

Your mum's technique sounds fine to me. I suspect that she did turn the temp up on removing the meat though, and I would do the same.

Also I suspect that your fan may be too violent for the batter. Can you turn the fan part off/down? I use the bottom of a Pyrex casserole and it may be that the high sides protect the batter from the worst of the moving air in my oven (my fan is not very strong).

I cook them in my electric oven fan assisted all the time and they are successful however. I do not use the standard general purpose flour that you can buy here as they never rose that well. I now buy either UK or Aus imported plain flour and all is well. Also I make a whole batch at a time and freeze the ones I don't need, they thaw, re-heat very successfully.

Your mum's technique sounds fine to me. I suspect that she did turn the temp up on removing the meat though, and I would do the same.

Also I suspect that your fan may be too violent for the batter. Can you turn the fan part off/down? I use the bottom of a Pyrex casserole and it may be that the high sides protect the batter from the worst of the moving air in my oven (my fan is not very strong).

Yes, I can switch the oven to fanless mode, but I've never done that as the fan is supposed to spread the heat in the oven more evenly so it seems like a better way to cook. If it's blowing my Yorkshires apart though then maybe I'd better try without it one of these days. I'd still prefer that somebody else did all the work and I could just buy them off the shelf.

I cook them in my electric oven fan assisted all the time and they are successful however. I do not use the standard general purpose flour that you can buy here as they never rose that well. I now buy either UK or Aus imported plain flour and all is well. Also I make a whole batch at a time and freeze the ones I don't need, they thaw, re-heat very successfully.

Thanks, I'll remember that about the flour if I ever get around to trying to cook them again.

I do not use the standard general purpose flour that you can buy here as they never rose that well. I now buy either UK or Aus imported plain flour and all is well.

A good point. I only buy imported UK flour also. There's a reasonable selection in Central and it often carries a discount for anyone with a Tops card.

Edited by KittenKong

Try using what is called "Special" flour here in Thailand instead of regular flour. I use the Red Lotus brand and it seems to work better than the regular flour for baking. Sometimes even adding some cake flour helps.

For biscuits try half and half special flour and cake flour then add about 50% extra baking powder for light and fluffy biscuits.

For whats its worth. For me a recipe that seems to work reliably - and I use a microwave oven with a conventional fan heat setting - so any small convection oven should work.

Recipe of 1/3rd's. So say cup of flour (all purpose or plain with a pinch of baking powder) , cup of eggs (normally 3) beaten, cup of milk. Mix into a smooth batter (hand wisk or fork_ - maybe 30 minutes before putting in oven.

Forget the steaming pan of hot hot oil - like mum's everywhere used to do. Put directly into silicone baking trays not filling any more than 1/3rd volume - could be muffin tins or any form - into oven and cook at 190 C (not so very hot) until they rise and cook through. So no oil used at all. Pop's out of the silicone moulds easily.

Sure is true what is easy to do in UK with the Sunday roast - is not so easy here - maybe the flour - or the humidity - or no mum.

I do not use the standard general purpose flour that you can buy here as they never rose that well. I now buy either UK or Aus imported plain flour and all is well.

A good point. I only buy imported UK flour also. There's a reasonable selection in Central and it often carries a discount for anyone with a Tops card.

+1 Friendship either McDougalls UK or Aussie White Wings are my flours of choice for Yorkies, using baking powder/raising agents is cheating wai2.gif

For those who are not worried about cholesterol, and it appears Yorkie eaters are in that bunch, use lard or rendered down pork fat as it's temperature is greater than oils plus the flavour is better. Hot is the word, flat bottom bulbous crisp sides to the Yorkie is the bees knees.

Top shelf, while the roast is resting. Yes imported flour is a must.

For those who are not worried about cholesterol, and it appears Yorkie eaters are in that bunch, use lard or rendered down pork fat as it's temperature is greater than oils plus the flavour is better. Hot is the word, flat bottom bulbous crisp sides to the Yorkie is the bees knees.

Top shelf, while the roast is resting. Yes imported flour is a must.

I buy my frozen pork fat from Friendship and render it myself solely for Full English Breakfasts and Yorkies. Roast spuds get local duck fat or imported goose fat. For anyone worried about my health, I have them few and far between but if you're going to do it you may as well do it right.............

Heavens man, whats wrong with you. Yorkshire puddings are just flour, eggs and milk.. Mix all 3 in roughly equal measures, whisk until thick and creamy and put into the fridge to chill.

Meanwhile switch on oven to hot (200 degrees) and heat the pan with oil until smoking hot.

Pour the chilled batter in the very hot oil, it will sizzle and bubble around the edges a bit and put it back in the oven for about 20 minutes or so until they are as brown as you like them..

Really easy to make fella and better then re heated ones I guarantee..

Heavens man, whats wrong with you. Yorkshire puddings are just flour, eggs and milk.. Mix all 3 in roughly equal measures, whisk until thick and creamy and put into the fridge to chill.

Meanwhile switch on oven to hot (200 degrees) and heat the pan with oil until smoking hot.

Pour the chilled batter in the very hot oil, it will sizzle and bubble around the edges a bit and put it back in the oven for about 20 minutes or so until they are as brown as you like them..

Really easy to make fella and better then re heated ones I guarantee..

Past Watford Gap, heading north.

it can get a bit complicated stuff, these Yorkshire puddings. giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif