What's with the Aviator Wings on the Thai Police Uniforms?

TuskegeeBen

I once posed that same question to a uniformed Thai cop, who actually spoke decent English (while checking my ID and Visa status. Apparently he didn't know the answer himself, because he countered by asking if I speak Thai. I reached into my pocket and showed him about 3,000 baht, and answered, "yes, I speak Thai", while showing him the money. He got slightly pissed with me, and then waved me off, after he finished with his check. Anyway, can someone answer my original question? I always thought that those wing symbols, displayed on the upper-left breast-plate of a uniform, were internationally reserved for either aviators, or airborne miltary personnel, eg., paratroopers, etc. Thanks in advance. Cheerswai.gif

As the majority of Thai males have to serve an amount of time in the Army, I am guessing here, that maybe they were attained whilst doing that and are allowed to wear them, as not all Policeman have them.

But its only a suggestion/guess.

The "Wings" are 'Pre Para' wings.

The Thai equivalent of completing "P" company in UK Army.

No jumping from an Aircraft, a US Style 'Tower' drop being carried out.

At least one CM restaurant owner has done the course, ask him over a Sausage.

john

I will apologize in advance to all UK Para's for comparing the Thai course to 'P' Company.

• Like 2

According to rumor, In Thailand, the only service that has a retirement plan is the air force. To be considered part of the air force you need to

at least be able to jump out of a plane. The wings with a parachute on the breast of Policemen, Soldiers or Sailors only mean the have a not so golden

parachute for when they retire. According to rumor. If that sounds odd to you, you have not lived in Thailand long enough.

john

I will apologize in advance to all UK Para's for comparing the Thai course to 'P' Company.

When I did the UK army jump course in the mid-50s we had to complete 8 jumps from an aircraft to qualify. The practice jumps from static towers were training and did not count.

john

When I did the UK army jump course in the mid-50s we had to complete 8 jumps from an aircraft to qualify. The practice jumps from static towers were training and did not count.

Same, me too.(60's OZ)

john

Are these fellows getting into some kind of tower then?

Ratings are as follows:

• Tower: Students who have successfully completed jump tower training.

• Third Class: 6 to 29 static line jumps from an aircraft.

• Second Class: 30 to 64 static line jumps from an aircraft.

• First Class: 65 or more static line jumps from an aircraft.

• Special Class: Completion of freefall training.

• Honorary Class: Given in recognition for helping the Thai Border Patrol Police and Royal Thai Police.

Wings below are

Training Insignia: Police Parachute Patch First Class

http://www.nationreligionking.com/police/borderpatrol/paru/airbornetraining/

post-232807-0-15962000-1444097844_thumb.

post-232807-0-37665200-1444098023_thumb.

post-232807-0-51466700-1444098270_thumb.

Edited by lostoday
  • Like 2

TW was presented with parachute wings and wore them on her Puya Baan (2007 to 2011) uniform after completing a 2 day outdoor activities coarse eg, climbing rope ladders, riding a flying fox etc.

She was allowed to attach 3 rows of "campaign ribbons' of her choice when having the uniform made. rolleyes.gif Ya gotta luv em!

john

Correct. Tower jumps do not qualify for wings in farang countries. Here they do not even need to do tower jumps, most just sew them on and don't realise the true significance of it. Remember tower jumps are relatively safe as you are always connected to the tower.

Same, me too.(60's OZ)

Those are not aviator wings, they are jump wings. The Thai Border Police run a jump school in Cha-am. The Thais are ga-ga over parachuting. My theory is that this dates to the 1960s when all of their US advisors were jump-qualified and set up a paratrooper school. (US troopers could earn Thai parachutist's wings by making a few jumps). Note that a Thai cop can get a set of "wings" by completing a few jumps from what the US Army calls the "34-foot" tower and never jumping from an aircraft/helicopter.

See http://www.nationreligionking.com/police/borderpatrol/paru/airbornetraining/

I know a young man whose father is very famous in Thailand. He joined the police and said the same thing about the tower. He made the jump.

Those are not aviator wings, they are jump wings. The Thai Border Police run a jump school in Cha-am. The Thais are ga-ga over parachuting. My theory is that this dates to the 1960s when all of their US advisors were jump-qualified and set up a paratrooper school. (US troopers could earn Thai parachutist's wings by making a few jumps). Note that a Thai cop can get a set of "wings" by completing a few jumps from what the US Army calls the "34-foot" tower and never jumping from an aircraft/helicopter.

See http://www.nationreligionking.com/police/borderpatrol/paru/airbornetraining/

I know a young man whose father is very famous in Thailand. He joined the police and said the same thing about the tower. He made the jump.

Tower training patch

post-232807-0-58943500-1444101707_thumb.

There was a time when the only people who wore a 'full wing' insignia were real pilots. Other crew, such as navigators, flight engineers, loadmasters, etc., wore a 'half wing'.

Then, even non aircrew, e.g., paratroopers, started wearing a 'half wing'.

Over time, wannabees, all the way down to flight attendants have somehow elevated their status and now wear a 'full wing' insignia. I find it offensive.

It seems to me that relegating navigators to the same insignia as loadmasters is offensive.

• Like 1

Apparently they are there to frustrate the shirt washers ! Check out the 8

pounds of campaign ribbons/sharpshooters medals/miscellaneous

thing a ma jigs on Generals left breast and not one has ever been anywhere

but trips out to China so wife could shop ! Meaningless crap is the short

answer.