Two police cadets die in parachute mishap in Phetchaburi

webfact

Two police cadets die in parachute mishap in Phetchaburi
The Nation

30230561-01_big.jpg?1396310763987

CHA-AM: -- Two police cadets plunged to their death after an accident in a parachute drill in Cha-am in Phetchaburi yesterday morning.

Dead at the scene were Chayakorn Phutchaiyong, 19, and Nattawut Tirasuwannasuk, 21.

"I am told the accident stemmed from static-line problems," Royal Police Cadet Academy commander Lt-General Sakda Techakriangkrai said.

He vowed to investigate the cause of the accident further.

Witnesses said the victims were among the first lot of people to jump out of the aircraft, which was about 1km above the ground at the Rama VI camp.

Among the witnesses were Chayakorn's parents.

"I saw a body dropping down onto the ground but at first I didn't think that it's my son's. When I rushed to the body and found who the victim was, my heart broke," Chayakorn's father Satorn Phutchaiyong said.

"I want to find out why my son's parachute was not working".

National Police Commissioner General Adul Saengsingkaew said he would seek a royal-granted fire for the victims' cremation ceremonies.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-01

So sad to hear about this! These two lads were the 3rd and 4th out the door when the static line cable broke. The first two guys managed to pull their reserves and land ok but the other two were unable to do so. It's possible the broken cable hit them on exit rendering them unconscious. My thoughts are with their families anyway. RIP

RIP lads.

Just another waste of life due the fact that Thias and safety checks do not make bedfellows.

This sort of equipment is critical to safety and should go through periodical checks and replaced as and when needed.

As an ex Para I have to admit a sense of bemusement when I see so many police officers wearing airborne wings.

Can not ever remember reading over the past 30 years that following a robbery on Tesco's that a detachment of police officers were dropped in to investigate.

It has always been a source of wonder to see so many qualified paratroops in the Royal Thai Police.

At least they have to jump out of an aircraft to actually earn their wings it seems. A cynic would have thought that they can just buy the badges and medals for the nice uniform.

Still in a country where a poodle can become an air force colonel.......

• Like 1

Static lines are made of webbing, this would not render anyone unconscious, when parachutes are packed its down to the packer to check for unusual wear on equipment, emergency drills were beaten into our heads, reserve parachutes will save your life , but been taught to use them is a different thing, prob down to human error as with most parachuting accidents.

Edited by Rooney860
  • Like 1

Static lines are made of webbing, this would not render anyone unconscious, when parachutes are packed its down to the packer to check for unusual wear on equipment, emergency drills were beaten into our heads, reserve parachutes will save your life , but been taught to use them is a different thing, prob down to human error as with most parachuting accidents.

It was the static line Cable that broke = (metal cable/bar that is fixed to the aircraft), that the snap on hook on the static line (webbing) is attached to in the aircraft.

As an ex Para I have to admit a sense of bemusement when I see so many police officers wearing airborne wings.

Can not ever remember reading over the past 30 years that following a robbery on Tesco's that a detachment of police officers were dropped in to investigate.

Furthermore, regardless of the static line failure they should have deployed their reserves. That is the rudimentary purpose of a reserve chute.

This story has all the attributes that come together to show that this country continues to talk a far better game than they are able to play.

You can go to the training camp and do the jump off the tower, if you do it then you are awarded the wings.

That is perhaps why so many police have them....

http://www.nationreligionking.com/police/borderpatrol/paru/airbornetraining/

http://www.ranger-specialforces-training.com/page10.html

Given the paucity of circimstamces that have led to combat jumps since the end of WWII, I admit to a sense of bemusement myself that so many militaries around the world still spend taxpayer's money to train so many soldiers how to jump out of aeroplanes.

• Like 1

It was the static line Cable that broke = (metal cable/bar that is fixed to the aircraft), that the snap on hook on the static line (webbing) is attached to in the aircraft.

Yes it was the static line, I have seen it on TV.

Five parachutes were concern, the instructor(s) one or more not sure I understood properly, managed to open three while jumping, unfortunately not the five. RIP young men.

Furthermore, regardless of the static line failure they should have deployed their reserves. That is the rudimentary purpose of a reserve chute.

This story has all the attributes that come together to show that this country continues to talk a far better game than they are able to play.

Check out Wikipedia - Royal Thai Police. It provides some interesting information concerning the various divisions, including the special units that employ airborne operations. They seem to provide airborne training for counter-insurgency units and the like.

I try not to compare the RTP to my western military and police service. Their makeup, training, mission statement (If it exists) and tactics are quite different in some regards.

Edited by Benmart

I gotta ask ... Just what purpose does jump training serve a police officer?

RIP the unfortunate cadets and condolences to their famiies.

Edited by Dap

• 11 months later...

RIP lads.

Just another waste of life due the fact that Thias and safety checks do not make bedfellows.

This sort of equipment is critical to safety and should go through periodical checks and replaced as and when needed.

This type of accident is sad, especially to the immediate family members and friends.

I doubt these are done purposely. I know many officers in this camp who have been paratroopers for over 20 years.

Mistakes can happen and will happen in the future too.

Some occupations do have their inherent risks, whatever the safety measures are put in place.

I thought of posting this comment after I read this sad story >>> http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ap-sources-navy-seal-dies-in-california-training-accident/ar-BBippxN?ocid=mailsignout

When accusing another, it is always better to think twice before - maybe thrice.

Thank you.