Obama Offered Handshake to Prayuth, Govt Says

Lite Beer

to show that the United States government views Thailand’s military regime favorably.

really? anyone believe that BS? oh wait...

According to a recent Dusit poll, 98.9% of street-side pork ball vendors in Saraburi believe that the present Thai head of government deserves more than a mere handshake from the POTUS; 27% said a hug would be better, 34% thought multiply pats on the back might do the trick, but a full 49% affirmed that nothing less than a robust and lingering Frenchie would satisfy honour.

Edited by asdecas

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obama who first noticed..... Oh right ho. Sorry, have to go, got to shake the hand of a very important man....

Man,...You haven't got clue about protocol and diplomacy....!?!?!

Enlighten us. What is the significance of all of this? Bc all I see is two men shaking hands.

So the U.S. President is polite ... Sometimes a hand shake is just a hand shake

I don't think it was meant as an endorsement of all the general has done or will ever do..

Of course it is also a sign that the U.S. Does not completely condemn the general and consider him 'persona non grata' either

Just seems a normal polite greeting between the President / PM... Just what one would expect given the situation

Quite wrong. A handshake in this environment is very significant.

All the fuss is because we have been bombarded by the Thai media with claims that Thailand is an outcast in world politics after the coup.

It has clearly touched a nerve of some people here : another small part of their lies and hypocrisy has been exposed for what it is and they respond like a schoolboy in a tantrum.

To the rest of us, it has been quite clear all along. The USA have done the exact minimum they have to do by law when dealing with a military Junta. They know full well what a bunch of dirty scumbags Thailand had before.

Perhaps one day you will attend one of these events. There is not much one can do when one comes across people who are distasteful, except to remain polite and diplomatic. An aide to the genera/pm took a picture of the POTUS standing with 2 Thais. The POTUS regularly has his picture taken with people. It's part of the job. He politely shook hands with Chavez at the UN also.

You should be more concerned that Thailand has been left out of the most important regional trade deal and will see a loss of its most profitable export markets in North America as Malaysia, Vietnam, Japan, Singapore Australia and New Zealand will have priority over Thailand. Thailand may soon be shut out of the largest markets in the region,all this while the great general was out and about in NYC.

I don't think it was meant as an endorsement of all the general has done or will ever do..

Of course it is also a sign that the U.S. Does not completely condemn the general and consider him 'persona non grata' either

Just seems a normal polite greeting between the President / PM... Just what one would expect given the situation

All the fuss is because we have been bombarded by the Thai media with claims that Thailand is an outcast in world politics after the coup.

It has clearly touched a nerve of some people here : another small part of their lies and hypocrisy has been exposed for what it is and they respond like a schoolboy in a tantrum.

To the rest of us, it has been quite clear all along. The USA have done the exact minimum they have to do by law when dealing with a military Junta. They know full well what a bunch of dirty scumbags Thailand had before.

I'm bemused that someone would be actually dim enough to put what you have just typed to this page. One assumes you are taking the piss, right?

Hahahaha, no he isn't. English JOhn pops up on every other thread trying to defend his lovely Junta, with arguments and statements that are reminiscent in coherence and sense to the nonsense the Junta themselves would say. (no bets for guessing what his wifes political persuasion is)

<deleted>, this "thainess" and "face" rubbish goes too far sometimes (scratch that, all the time) ... as if a handshake from the US President somehow "endorses" this current "Govt" ... Obama shook hands with Putin, does that mean that they are somehow all of a sudden best of buddies?

I'm bemused that someone would be actually dim enough to put what you have just typed to this page. One assumes you are taking the piss, right?

Hahahaha, no he isn't. English JOhn pops up on every other thread trying to defend his lovely Junta, with arguments and statements that are reminiscent in coherence and sense to the nonsense the Junta themselves would say. (no bets for guessing what his wifes political persuasion is)

Ohh he's actually come out and said his wife is a yellow shirt? I always just assumed it in a joking way cheesy.gif

Ohh he's actually come out and said his wife is a yellow shirt? I always just assumed it in a joking way cheesy.gif

No, I was just assuming the same myself ;)

Making such a big deal out of this shows that Thailand, while pretending otherwise, cares a great deal about what the U.S. thinks. That somehow this handshake is affirmation that the coup and subsequent junta are 'Ok' in the world's eyes. Regardless of whether this is true or not, it's a little on the pathetic side that they are so obvious about it.

Yes, in the scheme of things, the good general only ruined another presidential visit to Thailand. He is not as bad as other world leaders who have usurped power. He will be gone soon enough and forgotten, except for giving the Thai people bile lanes and guidance beach chairs. For that, he will always be honored as a great statesman.

Now that we get the serious stuff like securing a photo-op with Obama out of the way, can the junta pay bit more attention to the petty stuff like the economy. This kind of self gratification like the happiness poll is getting silly and makes the junta more like a mickey mouse club.

Believe me I know what support we give Thailand, they would never bemuse a situation with the United States of America and they are smart to do so. Thailand know we like war, they wouldn't have a chance to even get out of their compounds.

I was in three wars as a 2nd lieutenant United States of America Army and believe what I say they only fight for the guy who is next to them

Sincerely hope

Thailand is a smart country

Doesn't Michael look lovely or is it Michelle? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What an odd thing to post, just weird.

I'll put that in the column of the tea bag hatred of Obama knows no bounds.

The General took over the country when it was experience the usual political chaos. He's done a remarkable job especially here in Phuket, taking back the King's beaches.

I'm happy to see Obama recognize the PM. It's the right thing to do. He's done more for Thailand in a short time than the previous corrupt series of leaders have ever done.