How to stop my ducks from attacking me

NaRangsit

I'm up on the farm; having issues.

My two once-friendly, loving male ducks have just recently started to attack and bite me ferociously - I think they're being protective of the female who has just started laying. I've been very close to them so they may view me as a personal threat to the female, who often 'presents' herself to me. The ducks don't seem to chase other people as much.

My questions:

1. How do you effectively train ducks not to attack and bite? I have tried water guns, water hose, tapping their beak, holding beak closed for a second, saying "no", putting them in their cage. I also do positive reinforcement when on the rare occasion they don't bite me.

2. Is this a phase they'll grow out of when they're not 'teenagers' anymore? If this is a phase I can get through it. If it's going to be permanent I don't think I can keep them - I can barely go in my backyard anymore.

3. If I do have to say goodbye to the male ducks, is there a place they can go where they can live happily and not be eaten? Has anyone else had to do this? What did you do?

Thank you in advance for your help! I'm sick over this as I raised these ducks from chicks and held them every day so they would grow up and be friendly.

I think they're being trained by your wife in preparation for ... a small 'operation' smile.png

Seriously, I think you're right, they see you as another male duck with designs on the lady, are you collecting the eggs?

How do the boys get along themselves, 2 guys 1 gal is always a recipe for trouble? Maybe another lady duck (or two) is needed.

But, they're ducks not Rottweilers, you're hardly going to get mauled to death. Geese are a whole different story ...