HDD S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad

MikeWill

At boot it posts the smart HHD soon to fail message?

I turned it off in BIOS 4 years ago and drive is fine. If the PC trips on power surge etc you may have to reset the smart check and then it will boot fine again. As I said it was 4 years ago they false labeled the drive bad - must be great for sales.

That is not to say a drive can't be bad but I would back it up often and just run with it. You can find instructions online to set up your BIOS and this issue.

I have two Seagate drives installed on my Win10 Pro. One of them is probably failed.

Where is the service center in Bangkok that can repair the HDD ?

Perhaps you could describe the exact symptoms that make you think the drive has failed as it may still be accessible?

Physically repairing broken hard drives is:

1) difficult

2) expensive

3) largely pointless unless you have some vital data on it that you are desperate to retrieve at any cost

If you have backups (everyone should always have backups of their important data) then you can just dump the dead drive and buy a new one.

I should have added that the drive may still be under warranty (can be 1-5 years, depending on the type of drive) and if so Seagate will provide a replacement drive for free. However they will not repair it under warranty.

You can use the drive serial number to check the duration of the warranty:

http://www.seagate.com/as/en/support/warranty-and-replacements/

I should have added that the drive may still be under warranty (can be 1-5 years, depending on the type of drive) and if so Seagate will provide a replacement drive for free. However they will not repair it under warranty.

You can use the drive serial number to check the duration of the warranty:

http://www.seagate.com/as/en/support/warranty-and-replacements/

seagate also provides lifetime warranty for some drives

Perhaps you could describe the exact symptoms that make you think the drive has failed as it may still be accessible?

I'm running WIN10 Pro.
My boot drive C: is the 128GB SSD disc (SATA Port 2)
drives D:, E: & F: are partitions on the ST3300622AS Seagate 300GB disk (old one) - currently not accessible (SATA Port 4)
drives G:,H: & I: are partitions on the ST1000DM003-1ER162 Seagate 1.00TB (SATA Port 5)
SATA Port 1 : ASUS DRW-24B1SR (DVD RW) Drive J:.
A couple of days ago, I was not able to boot my PC. The animation screen with circles was turning non stop. I tried to reboot several times without success. The next day, I was able to reboot, but my D:, E: & F: partittions (a.k.a. 300GB drive) wasn't present.
After some time, my PC rebooted by itself, and during the boot, it shown Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices...
(and stated that) SATA Port 4; ST3300622AS
S.M.A.R.T. Stataus Bad,
Backup and Replace
Press F1 to run SETUP
That's what happened.

After some time, my PC rebooted by itself, and during the boot, it shown Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices...

(and stated that) SATA Port 4; ST3300622AS

S.M.A.R.T. Stataus Bad,

Backup and Replace

Press F1 to run SETUP

It does indeed sound like your drive is dead. It happens.

I would remove it and buy a cheap USB SATA caddy with which you could try running TestDisk http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

It may be able to recover something, if indeed you have anything on it that you need to recover.

Sadly if the drive cannot be accessed then you wont be backing it up, so Windows is being a bit optimistic there.

As you also have another much larger drive I wonder if you need this smaller third drive at all? If not, no need to replace it.

I'm also a little confused about the purpose of the large number of small partitions you seem to have. Normally I would expect to only see two main partitions on the larger drive, with one of those being a hidden manufacturer's restore partition (if indeed it has one of those at all).

When you disable the smart drive it will allow the drive to in fact work where it won't at present - that is the reason to bypass the smart drive in BIOS so the drive will work unless it is really dead.

If it is just the set bit on the drive you can make it load in a PC using the bypass smart check in BIOS (F1 at boot where it is hanging) look for smart drive enable/disable for that drive.

It won't run in a usb box ext you need to get it to mount in the PC - mine won't anyway because of the false bit set on the drive and the USB won't see the drive the same way, but it still works in the PC with the bypass set.

If you get it to mount then back it up and change the drive or have seagate replace it if they will, or like me it is internal only and not important data so I just don't care that much I have run it for years like this - I have other drives on the same PC for OS etc.

Seagate drives I wonder if there is a problem with them ?

The odd ones [total 4 here] I have bought have always failed, the last one a few months ago and was less then a year old.... no problem with Advise IT they tested and gave a refund, bought another WD Drive, have 6 some dating back over 10 years,couple of newer ones are 1TB + a much older very big drive in it day of 60GB this one came with me from UK in 2003 !!..

Maybe over kill but have a image of 'C' drive, + copies of important things in different drives + important things also have backup on re-writable DVD's.... that was a god-sent some years ago when all 3 hard drives fried re electric problems.

When you disable the smart drive it will allow the drive to in fact work where it won't at present - that is the reason to bypass the smart drive in BIOS so the drive will work unless it is really dead.

If it is just the set bit on the drive you can make it load in a PC using the bypass smart check in BIOS (F1 at boot where it is hanging) look for smart drive enable/disable for that drive.

It won't run in a usb box ext you need to get it to mount in the PC - mine won't anyway because of the false bit set on the drive and the USB won't see the drive the same way, but it still works in the PC with the bypass set.

The advantage of using TestDisk and a USB caddy is that it bypasses the BIOS drive settings.

TestDisk should be able to mount any drive that is readable, regardless of how it is formatted, and will generally do a good job of recovering partitions and data if this is possible at all.

Archived