Noi-na fruit

ricktak

Anyone growing this fruit, spelling might be wrong, but there are several of these trees on our property but most of the fruits get between 1 to 3 inches and then turn black, I also noticed that some of the larger ones get a white powdery substance on it while still green, they do ripen though and are pretty tasty . Is this a shade loving plant or does it require full sun, what kind of fertilizer is needed and any other tips would be appreciated, thanks

I only have one custard apple tree.I don't really know much about growing them and leave it pretty much to its own devices.

They often get infested with mealy bug as the fruit is forming and you may want to control these with pesticide/soapy solution. It is the deposits that the mealy bug leave on the fruit that encourages the sooty mould to grow, which turns them black.

My grandparants had Noi-na trees. It's look like... we just had it that way and never take care of it. It can grow up itself. But i search the internet and found this website >> http://www.doae.go.th/plant/s_apple/sugarapple.htm

You may have someone to translate it. It is useful information from department of agriculture of Pakchong

so, it is called 'custard apple' ? new vocab for me :)

Yes, its ''Custard Apple'' Fruit.. really really nice to eat, even when turns a bit black they are still nice to eat, best wait until they are soft..

some can be infested , but if you can control that, even better..

i pay about 50 baht a Kilos...., really enjoy them... seemingly a distant relative to the ''Durian Fruit''..

• 5 months later...

We have a few trees a lot are self set as has been said before ,they look after them self's ,the wife has said they have a long tap root ,find they own water . we do put some cow manure round them a couple of times a year

They do get the white powder on them ,but we find if you pick them with the powder on ,while they are still hard ,leave them a few days ,they will soon ripen ,one of our biggest problems ,is the ones we can not see ,or notice not them when they are ripe ,birds like them ,we find a lot half eaten .

Used to have the same problem here.

When I see that the fruits are coming (size of a Tic-Tac), I crush 3 or 4 heads of garlic mix it in 1-2 liter of water and let it boil.

After it cooled down, I spray the infusion on the tree (I get only one).

Last year I could notice that the white "powder" was a lot fewer than the years before.

This year, I sprayed about one month ago and I will do it again this weekend.

I don't know if it's a mushroom (oidium) or a caterpillar... but it seems that it doesn't like garlic smile.png