Help please,problem applying Thai visa in Pnom Penn

I suppose I should be upfront before I begin about my problem,

i've had some instances of overstay in the past.. once for around 20 days in the past and another 1-2 for around 3-4 days due to misplanning or ill preparation on my part (all paid of course)

ive also been doing some land border runs at least until they started refusing them

so all in all ive been living on back to back tourist visas...my last run from BKK to siem reap i used a travel agent.. well i tried that again and the agency said they refused saying I had to come in peson...

i take a bus to pnom penn and the immigration officer took a look at my visa and told me i need to show proof of onward travel to a country other than thailand when submitting my application.. i told him i have an apartment and all my belongings in thailand..he told me i should submit bank statements then

due to the language barrier im a little confused by all this..will my previous instances of overstay cause me problems? do they think im living here on back to back tourist visas and working illegally? i retired young and am ineligible for a retirement visa.. am i stuck in cambodia?

ive been reading that foreigners doing back to back tourist visa are even having problems....will i encounter similiar problems with a tourist visa in the future?

You posted above earlier in the year and you were having the same issues 6 months ago so I suspect you well know the problems. As for work around you have discussed them in previous posts. Perhaps for current visa application proof of your military pension paperwork could be offered along with outbound ticket.

• Like 2

The proof of onward travel is for when your 60 day entry ends. You could get a one way ticket to anywhere to satisfy that requirement.

I think your overstays are the problem. There have been other reports of them wanting a ticket out of the country.

If you are "living" here on the back of tourist visas the the Embassy are simply asking for evidence that your financial funding is coming from abroad.

The Embassy staff are entltled to ask for thisinformation and are also entitled to ask to see a ticket out of Thailand.

"Immigration officers" do not work in Embassies/Consulates !

The short "overstays" will not be the issue. IMO

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 1

i would suggest your issues come with inadequate documentation and poor choice of consulate.

buy a cheap ticket for 2-330 baht out of the country to fullfill their request, better yet try somewhere else next time the thai consulate in PP are known to be difficult.

FYI i have a 18 month overstay in my current passport from a difficult time 4 years ago when i was starting a business and ran into some difficulty, that is sorted now and i have never had anyone mention it again.

i also have a couple of 1 day overstays due to flight availability, never been an issue.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

Yes I've done my research and from what I understand all visa whether it be marriage, business, education, tourist are all a hassle.. it just seems like tourist visas are..less of a hassle..

So from what I'm gathering from you guys..

submit my visa application with financial proof in the way of bank statements (6 months&military pension?)

i also dont understand the point of onward travel..i was told by the embassy staff member my onward travel ticket cant be back to Thailand.. so if I fly to some neighboring country and then from there I can fly back to bkk?

im just trying to get back to thailand.. i have all my things there in my gf's apartment

Yes I've done my research and from what I understand all visa whether it be marriage, business, education, tourist are all a hassle.. it just seems like tourist visas are..less of a hassle..

So from what I'm gathering from you guys..

submit my visa application with financial proof in the way of bank statements (6 months&military pension?)

i also dont understand the point of onward travel..i was told by the embassy staff member my onward travel ticket cant be back to Thailand.. so if I fly to some neighboring country and then from there I can fly back to bkk?

im just trying to get back to thailand.. i have all my things there in my gf's apartment

People with "Tourist Visas" arrive in their millions every year, they are Tourists. They enjoy their Holiday then leave!

Are you a tourist ?

If not secure a different type of visa.

Many expats live in Thailand without "hassle" but not on back to back TVs and visa exempt entries.

• Like 1

You can get a one way ticket purchased in advance so cheap you could toss it in the trash and not loose a lot of baht.

Just checked Air Asia for a flight to Kuala Lumpur on December 7th and it is only 1490 baht.

>> I told him i have an apartment and all my belongings

A tourist does NOT have an apartment so wrong answer coffee1.gif

>> all visa whether it be marriage, business, education, tourist are all a hassle

Once you have your paperwork done properly - yes it is a pain in the ass - all problems are over and beside the 90 days reporting, you can stay in Thailand for one year without leaving the country (only 90 days reporting at Immigration)

• Like 1

>> I told him i have an apartment and all my belongings

A tourist does NOT have an apartment so wrong answer coffee1.gif

>> all visa whether it be marriage, business, education, tourist are all a hassle

Once you have your paperwork done properly - yes it is a pain in the ass - all problems are over and beside the 90 days reporting, you can stay in Thailand for one year without leaving the country (only 90 days reporting at Immigration)

Thailand does not exclude tourists from owning or renting. The Thai embassy in Vientiane sometimes want proof of your residence in the country before issuing a new TR to someone thats had several before.

Thailand does not have a limit on the number of TR's someone can have and there is no rule or law limiting the time someone can stay here as a "tourist". Immigration control this group of foreigners by making them exit every 60/90 days and having to re-apply for new visas. The onus is then on the embassy/consulate to decide if the person has the means to support their stay and whether or not to issue a new visa.

ahh ok so living on tourist visas wont be a problem for me as long as i show income and residence?

tomorrow i plan on applying for my visa in PP, I've been trying to print bank statements and even calling Thailand to have Bangkok Bank send me statements but i have to do it in country and I'm not eligible for Ibanking because I dont have a work permit..

will proof of my military retirement from an official site and my bangkok bank book (hasnt been updated recently) suffice to get me my visa and let me go back to bangkok?

if they still want proof of onward travel what would that mean for me? could i just take the next cheapest flight to a neighboring country like joe said and from there fly back to bkk?

thanks again for all the help guys

ahh ok so living on tourist visas wont be a problem for me as long as i show income and residence?

tomorrow i plan on applying for my visa in PP, I've been trying to print bank statements and even calling Thailand to have Bangkok Bank send me statements but i have to do it in country and I'm not eligible for Ibanking because I dont have a work permit..

will proof of my military retirement from an official site and my bangkok bank book (hasnt been updated recently) suffice to get me my visa and let me go back to bangkok?

if they still want proof of onward travel what would that mean for me? could i just take the next cheapest flight to a neighboring country like joe said and from there fly back to bkk?

thanks again for all the help guys

You can legally live here with a tourist visa as long as they keep issuing them to you.

I have no personal experience of PP and can only offer suggestions and opinion.

In Laos they want to see proof that your income comes from abroad. A Bangkok Bank book probably won't be good enough on it's own unless it clearly shows the source of income or it shows a large transfer balance. I would suggest showing a recent statement from the bank that you're pension goes into and proof of the pension source. If you can show a foreign bank statement with transfers that match receipts in your Bangkok Bank that would also help.

The point of this is to prove you have sufficient income/funds from abroad so that you don't have to work.

Your onward flight can be to any country.

Edited by elviajero

Nobody is saying living on tourist visas will not be a problem - you already know better than that so it should not even be in your posting. And we really can not say what a Consular officer will accept. But being able to show funds from outside Thailand may help tip the balance, at least this time. If not perhaps you should consider making the move to Cambodia or Philippines as both make it easier on just tourist/business visas to stay longer periods and offer inexpensive living options.

FYI: you do not require a work permit to have i-banking.

well i got together what i could..deposit information from the military showing direct deposit of my pension the last 6 months into my thai bank account as well as a pension award later..i have a copy of my lease agreement as well..and a bank book

my only concern is the proof of onward travel..

can i just buy a ticket to go back to bkk?

well i got together what i could..deposit information from the military showing direct deposit of my pension the last 6 months into my thai bank account as well as a pension award later..i have a copy of my lease agreement as well..and a bank book

Yes you can.

You can do whatever you like once you have the visa. You could buy the cheapest ticket to anywhere for the visa application and not use it if you don't want to. Or use it and turn around and go straight back to bkk.

A ticket back to bangkok is not proof of onward travel.

Proof of onward travel would be a ticket taking you out of thailand toward the end of the period of time in Thailand that a visa would provide.

• Like 1

so is the embassy consulate member asking for proof of onward trouble basically telling me i cant come back to thailand?

i cant extend the visa and just do another visa run?

i live here and had expectations to remain..

im just trying to understand what this onward travel business means..if i need to get all my belongings and go back to USA

so is the embassy consulate member asking for proof of onward trouble basically telling me i cant come back to thailand?

im just trying to understand what this onward travel business means..if i need to get all my belongings and go back to USA

They are not saying you cannot return to Thailand.

They are saying they want to see an airline ticket which takes you out of Thailand when the visa period is coming to an end.

That could be a cheap ticket to Malaysia or any of the other nearby countries.

Having left you can return on the same day if that is your wish.

(In fact you do not have to use the ticket but if you want a visa it would be wise to buy it)

Edited by oncearugge

The ticket is only needed to get the visa. You can stay longer if you want to.

You have to buy an air ticket out of Thailand dated on or before day 60, but you have two options.

1. Fly out of Thailand after 60 days using the ticket you bought to get the visa, turn around and fly back in. When you land back at Bangkok airport you will get a 30 day visa exempt entry.
  2. Book the cheapest flight you can so you can get the visa. Once you have the visa you can throw the ticket away. At the end of 60 days you can apply for a 30 day extension of stay which costs 1,900 baht. No exit needed.
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

ok last question..

so i buy a ticket to malaysia or any other neighborng country dated before the 60 days is ending...fly there before visa expire...return to bkk..and i can extend my visa for another 30 days and do another visa run once that 30 day extension is finished?

sorry to be annoying guys..just needed help

ok last question..

so i buy a ticket to malaysia or any other neighborng country dated before the 60 days is ending...fly there before visa expire...return to bkk..and i can extend my visa for another 30 days and do another visa run once that 30 day extension is finished?

NO read the last two posts again

ok last question..

No.

• On your return to bkk you don't apply for an extension. When you land you are automatically given a visa exempt entry stamped in your passport giving you another 30 days.
  • At the end of that 30 days you could apply for a 30 day extension of stay at immigration for 1,900 baht giving you a combined total of 60 days.

You can get a one way ticket purchased in advance so cheap you could toss it in the trash and not loose a lot of baht.

Just checked Air Asia for a flight to Kuala Lumpur on December 7th and it is only 1490 baht.

As said several times you need a ticket out of Thailand near the end of the 60 day entry the visa allows.