how do I go about this?

so Im a 21 year old guy whos been travelling europe for the past few months and I want to go to phuket for 4-5 months. Im currently in budapest and went to the thai embassy but was told that since Im not a hungarian citizen I cant recieve a tourist visa for thailand from here in budapest and was told to apply once I get to thailand (the woman said its very easy to get). I have yet to buy a plane ticket but I'm gonna buy one tonight for tomorrow.

as I understand I have to get a ticket with a return flight for 30>days or I wont be let through? so if I do this whats the step by step process once I get to phuket in order for me to stay there for 4-5months?

was the woman lying when she said she cant give me a tourist visa from budapest or is that actually true? and I havent bought my ticket yet, what would be the fastest/cheapest way for me to get a tourist visa? and if I can only stay up to 3 months can someone explain how to do a boarder run?

I assume you are from a country that is allowed a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You don't have to have a return ticket to board your flight. A one way ticket to a nearby country would be accepted.

Once you get here you will be able to extend the 30 day entry for 30 day at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

Or since you will be in Phuket you could go to Penang Malaysia and get a single entry tourist visa With the 30 day entry that would give you a tool stay of 120 days by extending the 60 day entry the tourist visa allows. for 30 days.

ok sorry if im being annoying Im a huge noob at this let me just restate my plan. I want to go to phuket from tomorrow or the day after until like mid february, what is the cheapest/most effective way I can accomplish this?

You should not need an onward ticket to obtain 30 day visa exempt entry but airline may require it as what they will see is below:

Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward
tickets could be refused entry.

Do not believe you will find a flight direct from Europe to Laos.

No reason you can not use 30 day visa exempt entry and spend a month in Phuket and then make a visa run.

so I just talked to the woman from the thai embassy and she said the only way I can do it is a border run from laos. So yea thanks s/o to the guy who suggested that, the woman said I can only extend 60 days at a time so if I plan on staying longer than 3 months I'd have to do 2 border runs?

Hello,

One of the options is to go from Bangkok to Vientiane where you can apply for

a double-entry visa at the embassy (you can fly from Dong Muang to Udon

Thani, where you can catch a mini-van to the Thai side of Friendship Bridge,

and then take a bus or a taxi at the Lao side to Vientiane) and then fly AirAsia

from Udon Thani straight to Phuket, if you really want to go to Vientiane for one

first.

Good luck.

Edited by Too

You can obtain a tourist visa in a country adjacent to Thailand that would allow 60 days on entry and then a 30 day extension for a total of 90 days. It is only some countries that will not issue a tourist visa to non-residents - those adjacent to Thailand can and normally will; unless there are many already in your passport.

how difficult of a process is this cause im reading stories of people getting declined after making a boarder run and such, im really having 2nd thoughts about going now, %wise how likely is one to succeed in this?

how difficult of a process is this cause im reading stories of people getting declined after making a boarder run and such, im really having 2nd thoughts about going now, %wise how likely is one to succeed in this?

Do not worry too much. It is not as bad as all that.

I would suggest:

• Buy a one-way ticket from Phuckett to Penang (probably on Air Asia, about $80) for the Monday/Tuesday closest to 30 days after your arrival in Phuckett.
  • Arrive in Thailand on a visa exempt entry (30 days).
  • (Optional: Reschedule you Penang flight and get a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry for about $60)
  • Fly to Penang and get a single entry tourist visa for about $35. Accommodation in Penang iis fairly cheap, and it is worth visiting for a couple of days anyway.
  • Travel back to Thailand overland cheaply, or fly back (your choice)
  • Receive 60 days on entry back into Thailand.
  • If you want to stay longer, apply for a 30-day extension of stay for about $60.

I have left out a lot of the details, but this should work fine.

I would suggest:

• Buy a one-way ticket from Phuckett to Penang (probably on Air Asia, about $80) for the Monday/Tuesday closest to 30 days after your arrival in Phuckett.
  • (Optional: Reschedule you Penang flight and get a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry for about $60)
  • Fly to Penang and get a single entry tourist visa for about $35. Accommodation in Penang iis fairly cheap, and it is worth visiting for a couple of days anyway.
  • If you want to stay longer, apply for a 30-day extension of stay for about $60.

could I buy a 2way ticket? from phuket-penang then back? or they wouldnt allow that?

I would suggest:

could I buy a 2way ticket? from phuket-penang then back? or they wouldnt allow that?

Buying a return ticket is definitely fine for your initial visa exempt entry. It is also good if planning to get a visa during your time in Penang. If you are looking for a second visa exempt entry, it is iffy. This is a back-to-back visa exempt entry that immigration officers will often take a dim view of (especially if you extended your first visa exempt entry). You would likely get away with doing it by air once (no guarantees) but I recommend you plan on getting a visa.

Edited by BritTim

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the answers btw, also I was wondering what is the absolute longest I can stay here as a tourist? given multiple border runs and stuff? how long must I be away for in order to repeat the process ?

• 3 weeks later...

hey so tomorrow marks my 30th day. I'm currently in phuket and I need to extend my visa. People were telling me I can extend it locally for $60, how can I do this? and what happens if I overstay my visa exempt entry by 1 day? would this be a problem?

As long as you do Monday (first open day) there is no issue - visit immigration office - have copies of your passport data/entry/departure card and current photo and fill out TM.7 form (can be done in office) and pay 1,900 baht application fee.

hey so tomorrow marks my 30th day. I'm currently in phuket and I need to extend my visa. People were telling me I can extend it locally for $60, how can I do this? and what happens if I overstay my visa exempt entry by 1 day? would this be a problem?

You can extend your "visa exempt entry" by 30 days at the immigration office for a fee of 1900 Bht.

You cannot now do this as the office is closed. If you apply on Monday you will not be charged overstay.

If you go to immigration on Monday you will not be charged a overstay fine of 500 baht since your admitted until date ends on a Sunday. After Monday you will charged 500 baht for everyday of overstay.

The fee is 1900 baht for the 30 day extension. You can apply for the extension at the Patong immigration office which is normally less busy than the main office.