Found something strange in my condo !

I have just got something curious asking you guys.

We have recently moved in a condo in the prime area, after a few days staying, we have found something strange! Some of the rooms seem to be running like a hotel?!! There always have people new faces in and out with luggages ( some are obviously tourist, some are like family traveling ). Even on our floor there is a room near lift which had been quiet all the time but just one day you heard people inside chatting loud and smelt the smoke! then after 1-2days they disappeared.

Does anyone have same experience of staying at condo? Will condo rules allow people to do that?

I'm just thinking it won't be doing by condo management, it must be some agent whom helped landlord to rent their rooms short term to travellers or tourists, if it's in this case, is that against condo regulations?

Can I do anything about it???

( It is kind of luxury condo, have on called room cleaning services )

Thanks everyone for looking!

Edited by 911

You're sure it's not a brothel? That would be illegal. I mean not the brothel, but what they could do inside. Unspeakable. How is the noise? biggrin.png

Well, i'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with that, otherwise it would be an very expensive one .... whistling.giftongue.png

And it doesn't seem like the relatives or friends staying .

In the early days, we thought that was just people came back from traveling, but soon we realised they didn't even know where the lifts are ! They obviously new to Thailand and the whole family came with maps and cameras. Trust me, I think someone has operate rooms as an self serviced hotel !

What can I do about it?

There are internet sites where you can rent your condo daily, same as hotel room. Most condos do not permit this but people do it anyhow until someone stops them. I know of a guy who rents condos for 15k or about and rents them daily for 1k baht or more. They meet the people at the condo when they arrive and take care of it like a hotel room. It is terrible for the people who really live there as tourists on holiday make noise and over use the gym, pool, etc . It is not really legal as the people who do this by law should report daily to immigration who is staying and all other information. Condo rules also normally do not permit.

If this is happening in your building I would complain to management and have them put a stop to it. I think however they may be able to sublease for a month but I am sure by day is not acceptable.

Edited by ttthailand

Short-term condo rentals are technically illegal unless the person operating the rental business has a hotel licence etc. Also in most buildings the running of businesses of any type is usually restricted to the ground floor or other specific areas.

As is common in Thailand, the rules are not often applied very thoroughly. I think this is a shame because there is no doubt in my mind that short-term rentals do nothing but harm to the building and the permanent residents.

One day we can hope that the Thai government will act on illegal short-term condo rentals, not least because most of those who do it probably pay no tax on it.

You rent such a prime area. luxury condo, even show off with it in the biggest TH forum, and then this. What disaster. Do you park your 911 besides the Chinese tour bus? Ooops... biggrin.png

He only wrote prime area... not prime condo. and kind of luxury condo....

Our condo management has written different letters in the elevators, that it's illegal to rent daily weekly base. Only monthly base seems to be allowed in our complex.

Our condo management has written different letters in the elevators, that it's illegal to rent daily weekly base. Only monthly base seems to be allowed in our complex.

An example of a good management company. You should be pleased. I wish ours was that good.

Suggest you check your condo's Regulations. Unless they actually breach Thai Law, they are the final word on such matters as rentals.

Incidentally, I'd like the contact details of the guy who rents places & then finds short-term tenants. Worth checking out in some circumstances.

If I lived in that condo or any other for that matter,that was operating as an un regulate hotel ,I would inform the tourist police and immigration authorities.

It is not that I worry about about folks making a few extra Baht on the side that is their business , but it becomes the countries business if these people have evil intentions such as planting explosive devices etc.In this day and age it is everyones duty to be vigilant.

The law is on your side

The Condo Act states

Section 17/1 In the case where a space in the condominium is set aside as a place to carry out

the business, the system on entering and exiting such area shall be specifically set up in order

to prevent the disturbance on the peaceful enjoyment of the joint owners.

No person shall be permitted to engage in any trade transactions in the condominium except

it is a trade transaction in the area of the condominium designated in accordance with

paragraph one.

and it further details penalties imposed on those who break the law

These are:

Section 65 Whoever violating Section 17/1 shall be liable for punishment of a fine not

exceeding fifty thousand Baht and an additional fine not exceeding five thousand Baht per

day throughout the period of such violation.

The JPM is legally committed to enforce this law

You will have more success trying to herd cats than getting satisfaction from the typical JPM

Edited by Delight

Not unusual at all, many condo buildings run as hotels as well, its how owners get their money back

Take a look at this website and search Pattaya or Bangkok, many well known condo buildings listed, probably yours

https://www.airbnb.com/

Unfortunately, I've found mine on the list. Can't believe that they have even the customer reviews!

The law is on your side

The Condo Act states

Section 17/1 In the case where a space in the condominium is set aside as a place to carry out

the business, the system on entering and exiting such area shall be specifically set up in order

to prevent the disturbance on the peaceful enjoyment of the joint owners.

No person shall be permitted to engage in any trade transactions in the condominium except

it is a trade transaction in the area of the condominium designated in accordance with

paragraph one.

and it further details penalties imposed on those who break the law

These are:

Section 65 Whoever violating Section 17/1 shall be liable for punishment of a fine not

exceeding fifty thousand Baht and an additional fine not exceeding five thousand Baht per

day throughout the period of such violation.

The JPM is legally committed to enforce this law

You will have more success trying to herd cats than getting satisfaction from the typical JPM

Great work! Appreciate it!

Thanks guys for all of your replies, I will start collect evidence send to the management office, hopefully it will work.

Just in case, can anyone tell me what if the management office does not do anything to it? Could I report to the Tourist Police? or?

Thanks guys for all of your replies, I will start collect evidence send to the management office, hopefully it will work.

Just in case, can anyone tell me what if the management office does not do anything to it? Could I report to the Tourist Police? or?

Bring it up with the committee whose job it is to give direction to management.

Of course you may find that your committee members are themselves letting out units short-term, or have friends who do, in which case they may not be very interested in you. In that case you can bring it up at your next AGM and, eventually, stand for election to the committee yourself. I would certainly vote for anyone who announced an intention to ban short-term rentals in my building. They are a complete pain and dont benefit the building in any way at all.

The Tourist Police will not be interested but the Tax Office may be. Your local hotel association may also be interested in this illegal competition. If I were you I would not advertise my name on any complaint.

Condos are private property, and the owners can rent/lease either short-term, or long-term.

Condos are always subject to the rules and regulations of the building, and these frequently prohibit commercial activity in units above the ground floor or outside of specific areas. Short-term rental is a commercial activity.

This is also an inspiring read: http://www.dfdl.com/images/stories/STCC_DFDL%20Article_July_2014.pdf and it points out that anyone doing short-term rentals should be on the hotel register and that in buildings with short-term accommodation for more than 20 persons the units have to register as hotels and comply with hotel legislation.

Not unusual at all, many condo buildings run as hotels as well, its how owners get their money back

Take a look at this website and search Pattaya or Bangkok, many well known condo buildings listed, probably yours

https://www.airbnb.com/

Unfortunately, I've found mine on the list. Can't believe that they have even the customer reviews!

You could reply on the reviews with the remark, please be more quiet next time :D

not really understand the rant against short term rent outs.

They are insured with 35 million baht - ordinary rent out, 0 Baht.

I prefer to live knowing there is big insurance just for in case rather than none.

There have been a lot of daily rent out in our building over the last few years but now a single incident - but lot of problems with long term tenants...

What idiocy, while you may have issues with LT renters ie renters, to not see how ST rentals are a headache, hassles, headaches, costly, noisy and low values. Is rather amazing.

Look up the definitions of condominium and hotel. Realize they are not same. Many are not interested in buying a hotel room. Epiphany, ahhh.