are Honda PCX 150 still a good bike to buy new?

nongai

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......... In the sub 150cc scooter world - The PCX is king ....

PCX =153cc about 120 kph no anti-lock brakes don't know HP above 70,000 May need seat bump removed.

N-Max= 155cc about 117 kph has anti-lock brakes 16 HP, I think about 67,000 Feels comfortable

PCX =153cc about 120 kph no anti-lock brakes don't know HP above 70,000 May need seat bump removed.

N-Max= 155cc about 117 kph has anti-lock brakes 16 HP, I think about 67,000 Feels comfortable

I believe the new model PCX has no 'seat bump' to remove.

@36baht per,

that is less than $2200.

Dang!

Over 4 grand in Denver.

For the older model.

Yes, these Thai built bikes are just a steal compared to the west, a Wave 110i in the UK is £1,999 @ 55baht that is 110,000 baht...Wa wa we wa!

I don't like scooters but if I did it would probably be a PCX, have heard no bad stories at all, maybe they are made in the same factory as the Wave?

NMAX is about 78 000 THB The PCX about 80 000 THB.....

I was set on a PCX but having seen the specs for the NMax I am in two minds.

Same price 78k

PCX + = Honda; console with cig lighter for charging phone; 14" wheels; 8 litre tank

NMax + = dual disc; ABS; 155cc

PCX - = linked brakes; no rear disc

NMax - = 13" wheels; no history like PCX

Cig lighter vs dual disc anti lock brakes, no question which one I choose

What about the smaller wheels then?

How big is the fuel tank on the NMax?

The N-Max has a 6.6 liter tank. Got a brochure in front of me. Since it's in Thai I might make a mistake but here goes. From Memory though, the 125 c.c. first generation PCX had a 6.2 liter fuel tank, but when the first 150's came out the fuel tank was reduced to just 5.9 liters. I felt the 6.2 liter tank gave the PCX plenty of range. When I roadtested my Yamaha 135 Elegance against the 125 c.c. PCX fuel mileage was identical but the fuel gauge had gone down a lot by the time I hit Rayong on my Elegance. When the 2nd generation 150 PCX came out I learned that the 5.9 liter fuel tank had increased to 8 liters. It was this huge differential in fuel capacity that led one of my neighbors to get the newest generation PCX and that caused him to pass on the much more limited 4.3 liter tank capacity of the Yamaha Nouvo 125 SX. I am of the same mindset as Richard.....I feel much more comfortable with a bike that has ample range.

So.....to my way of thinking the 6.6 liter capacity of the NMax although not as good as the new PCX 150 model still achieves a slightly better figure than the 6.2 liter PCX 125.

The NMax according to this spec sheet weights 127 kilos to the PCX's 132. Appearance wise when you sit on the NMax then sit on the PCX you get the impression that the front end of the NMax is narrower. For me the biggest negative with the appearance of the PCX is that the front end is too wide for the overall size of the bike. I wish I had brought a tape with me to Mityan the other day because I kept running back and forth between the Nmax and the PCX trying to get a fix on which bike had a narrower cowling in front. The spec sheet I'm holding shows that the two bikes are nearly identical in width across the fairing with a very slight edge to the Honda. Neverthless, cosmetically Yamaha is doing a better job here by making the NMAX appear narrower and therefore more attractive.

The NMax rides on 110/70/13 M front tires. The rear tires are 130/70/13 M. The PCX uses a 90/90/14 MC front tire with a 100/90/14 MC on the back. I don't care for the idea of 13 inch diameter tires. As a matter of fact I prefer the idea of 16's such as my Elegance has due to the gyroscopic stability that's intrinsic in larger diameter wheels. Plus one can go over larger curbs with larger diameter tires and go through deeper water. Several weeks ago when we had that big flood here in Pattaya the floor of my Honda Civic got flooded..that water was that high. In such circumstances larger diameter wheels provide an edge.

As far as ABS is concerned, I now have a shoulder that will never ever be the same again due to that roadtest I performed on a Honda CBR 250 rental from Pattaya to Rayong. Had this particular CBR 250 had the optional ABS I wouldn't be sitting here right now with a titannium brace in my clavicle due to the CBR going down because of a little sand I didn't see in the road. So....I'd have to go with the Yamaha over the PCX. And as far as quality, I understand most Thais think the Honda's are more reliable but I firmly believe that the Yamahas are on the whole better built than Hondas.

do the engines provide any braking with either of these two?

I ask because I had and liked the first model Nouvo but the engine braking when throttle was shut off only seemed to work for the first 6 months.

I need a bike safe for going down steep mountain roads in the North.

At least with a Honda wave I can stand on the foot/rear brake and only use the front brake when necessary to keep it in reserve (when going down the mountain).

These two only have hand brakes but obviously the Yamaha with disc front and rear would be better in this situation.

OP's question is hard to answer, I got 1'st gen pcx150 and been very happy with it, a perfect city hopper. The new Yamaha looks nice and as mentioned abs is gold. Never mind about fuel economy, it will be almost the same.

Honda's pcx is sold in great no's and spare parts easy/cheap to get, Yamaha maybe not yet.

I keep my pcx maybe 2 years more but if on the market now, hmm, not sure, haven't seen the Yam in the flesh yet.

If possible rent both and then decide, but the Yam will be hard to rent, maybe later

I know I said I wasn't much on scooters, mainly cause of the small wheels. Well someone mentioned ABS on the Yamaha as being "gold", but those bloody small wheels offset any additional safety over the PCX.

How can you ride a bike in Thailand with bottle tops for wheels, even if they are "gold tops"? ABS ain't much use when you are over the handlebars and flying through the air, because you ran over a shitsoo.

The Italians invented the scooter and they put hairdryer engines in them for a reason and even back then Italian roads were better than Thai roads today, so 155cc with fuel injection?...not for me....

ABS? a parachute would be better.

I know I said I wasn't much on scooters, mainly cause of the small wheels. Well someone mentioned ABS on the Yamaha as being "gold", but those bloody small wheels offset any additional safety over the PCX.

How can you ride a bike in Thailand with bottle tops for wheels, even if they are "gold tops"? ABS ain't much use when you are over the handlebars and flying through the air, because you ran over a shitsoo.

The Italians invented the scooter and they put hairdryer engines in them for a reason and even back then Italian roads were better than Thai roads today, so 155cc with fuel injection?...not for me....

ABS? a parachute would be better.

Vespa sell a 300cc now on those small "bottle top" wheels (13" aren't they ?)

but I agree bigger16-17" wheels (yamaha nuovo/Honda wave size) are better and safer for roads like Thai where holes are everywhere, ground clearance and ability to hop up and down kerbs is a lot more useful for Thai "shortcuts" too :)

Even

Well abs have saved me a couple of times on my Versus, never tried a Thai scooter with abs. Don't ride my scooters on the highways so abs not so important to me on my scooters but I will never again buy a big bike without it. Been riding bikes for over 30 years and my V is the first one with abs.