Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the ‘farang tax’?

Jonathan Fairfield

It's quite simple. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Would Thais like to be charged more for something simply because they are Thais ? Of course not, no one would like this. What Thais never grasp is that they get bad reputations for persistently doing bad things. Cut the silly stuff out and everyone's happy. As I said, beyond their understanding. They want to have their cake and eat it always at someone elses expense. Thainess.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

Serious? What, did the 200 baht national park fee break their budget?

Hope they didn't go to Malaysia, Leos, Cambodia . . .

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

Just to add that I visited Malaysia lats year and as I am over 60, I was offered by staff at the Petronas Tower the senior price, I just showed my passport.

It was the same in the KL transit system, I could buy the senior pass. I saw no place I visited with dual pricing.

In Thailand you have to be Thai citizen to get the senior price in the transit system in Bangkok.

In my opinion it is not a way to attract tourist and tourist is a major cash cow.

If Thailand want a fair system the Park Deppartment can give a discount to Thai citizen with ID card and not based on the ethnicity...Many non-Thai citizen that look Asian manage to pay the Thai price when they enter with Thai friends.

"Natural history museum in London etc. free to all, including tourists"

Visa for Brits to Thailand free and easy, visa fee for Thais to UK ????.

Best is you stay in the museum as an exhibit for human ....!

6 years ago my VISA for Thailand was 120gbp for 1 year.

Currently a Thai VISA to the UK for 6 months is 80gbp.

Are they that far apart?

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

It's not about the money. It's about being discriminated against.

I do not visit any of the local attractions that have dual pricing. Period.

luudee

That's like arguing the fact that Thai people have to pay income tax in Thailand and tourists don't have to is discriminatory.

Income tax? Really? Only those working for "companies" pay tax.

Everybody here on holiday or as a tourist pays tax on what they buy (VAT) So actually most tourists and ex-pats pay a lot more tax than most Thai people.

If we pay more we should get more that mean translate all signage and explanations in English otherwise what are we paying extra for. Especially farangs with work permits already pay taxes in Thailand.

And how will that help non english speaking tourists?

Ooops I forgot ..It's all about the English...never did quite get over the colonial ruler bit did you?

"Spot on, however I do have to wonder why you're bothering to read it."

I read because I like dumb comments from superior farangs.

And these are the best and easiest threads to do farang bashing.

Yep, your comments are in this class thumbsup.gif

There is bigger picture... With the government permitting this practice it opens the rest of the country up to a justification that they can charge any foreigner more than a Thai.

This will (and has) spread to Taxis, hospitals, restaurants etc...

What we are seeing now as the 'thin end of the wedge' (well, more so now) could soon become more extreme.

Those suggesting 'whats the big deal, is 200 baht going to break the budget?' have lost sight of a bigger picture - double pricing and government approved double pricing encourages xenophobia, it justifies the greed of some. It makes visitors feel unwelcome and puts tourists unnecessarily on edge. This additional greed leaves people with a poor taste in the mouths after an otherwise pleasurable experience - in short, there is very little long term gain in double pricing, but officials seem to care only for instant gratification - again, the only benefactor is greed.

What other countries do is irrelevant: If other countries have double pricing it doesn't make it right or acceptable.

So, If it never bothered you, at some point it will - maybe when you are faced with an expensive hospital charge, charged 2x or 5x for a meal, charged more for your rent (or condo purchase) etc etc... you see, by allowing double pricing it opens the practice up to other businesses.

Thailand is a lovely country but it is a real shame to sometimes see these short sighted policies and practices continuing unhindered. When discussing these practices and polities with my Thai friends, they too are somewhat disgusted and embarrassed by dual pricing.

Was just about the same, but probably not as well expressed.

For many years the wife has bought her underwear from the same lady. A couple of months ago for the 1st time we turned up together. I sat in a chair by by the entrance, then could hear squabbling in Thai by my wife. Stood up, turned around & they took it to the back of the shop.

The be all & end all of it was the lady said she didn't realise the wife had farang husband, bra's were now ฿120 instead of ฿100, farang tax.

No input from me but the wife won't shop there again.

And that's on the bottom end of the scale how it filters into Thai minds. Never mind condos, cars etc which will end up exorbitantly more expensive.

It's no good for relations if anyone but Thai are going to be in this country.

Edited by Gringogazzer

If it's a problem vote with your feet.

We have many visitors, we offer to take them to places that have dual charging. We tell them we will not be entering and why,but it is their choice if they wish to and no pressure on them.

It is simply our choice.

It's quite simple. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Would Thais like to be charged more for something simply because they are Thais ? Of course not, no one would like this. What Thais never grasp is that they get bad reputations for persistently doing bad things. Cut the silly stuff out and everyone's happy. As I said, beyond their understanding. They want to have their cake and eat it always at someone elses expense. Thainess.

Let's not forget dual pricing is officially sanctioned.

Apart from museums, national parks etc didn't the Bkk Governor set the cost of hiring a canal boat at Bt 800 for Thai and 2,000 for foreigners just as an example.

It really upset a Thai girl in the British Embassy a few years back. I asked for something and she asked another girl that "this farang would like...". I pointed out to her she was the farang as inside the Embassy grounds it is considered the UK, not Thailand.

I also really love restaurants, bars etc. not returning with my 20 or 30 baht change as they just presumed that I was going to offer it as a tip. Well I would have done and possibly more if they'd shown willing, but when this happens I just demand my money and leave, never to return.

oink?

this is not dual pricing or overcharging. it's lack of basic manners, lack of professionalism, and plain rude.

where are you stationed? some touristy spot i reckon where they consider farang a waste.

and of course you demand your change and leave without 1 satang tip. good service is not over until you get back your change. then and only then you decide to tip or not. unheard what you post here.

Ok, I agree that it has nothing to do with dual charging and what have you but I thought that I'd mention it, as it seems a way of making a bit of extra revenue at a customer's expense. Maybe I'm the only person that this has happened to, but I doubt it.

Where am I stationed? Yeah, I guess that that's a relevant question. Pattaya. I also guess that that's the answer you were expecting.

Not totally sure of your tone in your final paragraph, but what you say is exactly what I think. Good service also involves getting my change back.

Pay to shop. Never!

at the floating market Pattaya, Foreigners 200 Baht, Thai free

at another "store" in the same area I forget the name a similar story

National parks surcharging foreigners and yes on principle I will never pay to go where a Thai national can go free its just not on!

I feel a sense of satisfaction in not paying these ridiculous surcharges, as though I am doing something for the interest of those of us who are daily fleeced robbed and pillaged in 75% of any business dealings with either Thai businesses or so called professionals

The list of surcharges for Foreigners is endless, the parks and similar are small fry compared to the massive amount of "Graft" that must be going on in the Country especially the medical world where even the Thai PM has been moved to intervene in attempting to stop them overcharging foreigners.

I think the simple answer to this is that as a previous post mentioned that the average daily wage is 300 baht. Does it make any difference to me paying a little more, of course not, does it make a difference to a Thai getting a little more from us, I would hope so. I hope the little extra we pay gives a Thai a better life.

The Grand Palace in Bangkok is the worst. They charge 400 baht for falang (or they did last time I went), irregardless of whether or not you have a Thai license and what is really irritating is Thais get in for free.

Tis 500bt these days.. Not worth it IMO

I don't go there any more because it's so crowded with tourists happily paying the fee.

I think we may have them on the ropes if we keep staying away...

I think the simple answer to this is that as a previous post mentioned that the average daily wage is 300 baht. Does it make any difference to me paying a little more, of course not, does it make a difference to a Thai getting a little more from us, I would hope so. I hope the little extra we pay gives a Thai a better life.

How about if Thaivisa decided that you, not me, should pay to post on Thaivisa? Would you be happy to pay more at 7-11 than locals on minimum (not average) wage?

Please let me know if I am mistaken, aside from Tourists, but regarding Foreigners who live here, do you not pay the Thai price if you show a Thai driving license or yellow book?

Wrong: in national parks the law is that it depends on citizenship..

I have lived here 24 years and always have an argument about this. I have it from the highest authority that this is the law. The particular C8 official told me its a stupid law, and everyone hates it, but it is the law. I often have my work permit, passport etc with me to prove that I have paid tax.

He let me in as a Thai when I asked him which half of my kids has to pay the farang price and which way I should cut them in half.

Never had a problem at any national park. Even with family and friends from overseas in the car with me.

Show a driving license. Be polite. Smile - and I have never had to pay 'farang tax'.Not once. But of course I get screwed when shopping..but that's another game altogether wink.png Swings and roundabouts 55

Never had a problem at any national park. Even with family and friends from overseas in the car with me.

Show a driving license. Be polite. Smile - and I have never had to pay 'farang tax'.Not once. But of course I get screwed when shopping..but that's another game altogether wink.png Swings and roundabouts 55

Done this recently?

mattpatt, every Thai is shivering when you enter his/her restaurant or shop. You seem to be the guy who hopes that it is done to you that you can let loose your daily dose of rant.

The question is, who is loosing face.

I'm sure, you give a shit to it.

Oh, I beg to differ. The last thing I want is confrontation when all I really want is a bottle of milk.

Same shop....three times on the trot....Now that's not a one off is it? And yes, the last time, I purchased something with a 50 satang at the end just to see if it was me being unreasonable, or if it was a regular occurrence.

Maybe it was my fault for selecting products that came to the wrong amount.

When I'm wrong I'll admit it. Losing face? How did you come up with that one? Discussing right and wrong has nothing to do with losing face.

I've had the opposite happen where I've been over changed and I've handed the extra back, much to their relief, as it comes out of their salary.

Anyway, this is probably all irrelevant, so back to the topic in hand......

I also really love restaurants, bars etc. not returning with my 20 or 30 baht change as they just presumed that I was going to offer it as a tip. Well I would have done and possibly more if they'd shown willing, but when this happens I just demand my money and leave, never to return.

oink?

this is not dual pricing or overcharging. it's lack of basic manners, lack of professionalism, and plain rude.

where are you stationed? some touristy spot i reckon where they consider farang a waste.

and of course you demand your change and leave without 1 satang tip. good service is not over until you get back your change. then and only then you decide to tip or not. unheard what you post here.

Ok, I agree that it has nothing to do with dual charging and what have you but I thought that I'd mention it, as it seems a way of making a bit of extra revenue at a customer's expense. Maybe I'm the only person that this has happened to, but I doubt it.

Where am I stationed? Yeah, I guess that that's a relevant question. Pattaya. I also guess that that's the answer you were expecting.

Not totally sure of your tone in your final paragraph, but what you say is exactly what I think. Good service also involves getting my change back.

I mean: it's 100% normal you don't tip them and ask for your change and never return there (at least that is what I would do).

as for pattaya, yeah... I see.

When I first visited Thailand about 30 years ago I was highly impressed with the honesty of Thai people,since when it all changed?

You never got past the fake smiles.

Tourists hardly ever see the real Thailand.

The whole culture is based on greed, crime and corruption, and always was.

I refuse to go to the parks anyway. As far as being overcharged for taxis, food or whatever. I understand the value of most items already. If i feel they are charging too much i just walk away. If a restaurant charges too much after knowing the price i never return as with hotels. If you plan to live here and not willing to learn some basic Thai you don,t belong here and you deserve everything you get. No excuse for not learning the language . Move to Spain you learn Spanish, move to Malaysia you learn Malay, move to Thailand you learn Thai. Too lazy , drunk or stupid don,t move here period.

Most short term tourists do not even know they are being Charged at a Higher Price. Some who do , just don't care, they can afford it they say.

Me, I just do not support any of the venues asking for a higher price, including restaurants and anything that see's a Farang as an extra charge.

Charge me 5 Baht extra, never see another Satang of mine.. Done..

Even the airlines here ( Not all ) have a double standard..

Think Farangs pay heavily, Japanese are the highest charged I have seen.. OH GOODY , JAPANESE, clap2.gif, $$$$$$ KA-CHING

I agree with you.

The practice of charging foreigners more is getting worse. I experience taxi drivers asking for a big tip, motorcycle taxis charging double or treble the normal rate.

A few weeks ago I went to my usual little shop to buy a bottle of water. There was a new girl working there and she asked for 10 baht (usually 7 baht). I asked if she was sure and she said yes. I thought that that was a big increase. Anyway, the next day I went back and the owner was there as usual. She charged me 7 baht. I asked her, as to why the other girl charged 10 baht, She fetched her and asked the same question. The girl simply replied "Farang price". I put the bottle down and walked out, never to return.

3 baht in itself is nothing, but if I am charged more everywhere I go my little salary (government school teacher) will soon be eaten up.

There is dual pricing, as set by national parks etc, and there is pure discriminatory opportunistic theft. That girl stole 3 baht from you.

There is little opportunistic ripping off in my city. Tuktuks would be the worst, but they are used to ripping of Malaysian tourists. Most shops don't, though. The fresh market to which I go in the mornings has several fruit vendors. I had bought from one several times, and they oddly did not remember that I have a bit more than rudimentary Thai language, because one day I watched the woman sell some rambutan to a local woman. I heard the price, I saw the transaction. I was next and asked how much the rambutan were...she doubled the price. I quite enjoy now seeing her watching me always buy fruit from the vendor across the road.

Similar story with a fishmonger.

Mind you...."opportunistic theft" could be a bit harsh. Most vendors around the world, in market situations, will try to get the best price they can. Think used car salesmen in the West. Always start out asking high and be prepared to go lower.

I think Ho Chi Minh City is worse! I quickly learnt to take off 60 to 70% from what they were asking.

Try going for a day out in England - it's a rip off almost anywhere you go with Guest houses charging an average of £90 a Night for a couple. that's why we come to Thailand where even the RIP offs are cheap compared to back home. If Krabi's Emerald Pool was in England it would cost equivalent to 700 Baht a piece to visit. Perhaps though, because the 20 Baht entrance fees for Thais have been fixed for a number of years and their income has been increasing steadily, perhaps they should be asked to contribute more if only to pay for clearance of the rubbish they try and leave behind.

Now I wait for the TAT to promote these scams like: "Come to Thailand enjoy special prices for foreigners."

Stop giving them ideas....please. Next they will have a breathing tax. Foreigners lungs are bigger so they should pay a fee.