Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the ‘farang tax’?

Jonathan Fairfield

Most short term tourists do not even know they are being Charged at a Higher Price. Some who do , just don't care, they can afford it they say.

Me, I just do not support any of the venues asking for a higher price, including restaurants and anything that see's a Farang as an extra charge.

Charge me 5 Baht extra, never see another Satang of mine.. Done..

Even the airlines here ( Not all ) have a double standard..

Think Farangs pay heavily, Japanese are the highest charged I have seen.. OH GOODY , JAPANESE, clap2.gif, $$$$$$ KA-CHING

I agree with you.

The practice of charging foreigners more is getting worse. I experience taxi drivers asking for a big tip, motorcycle taxis charging double or treble the normal rate.

A few weeks ago I went to my usual little shop to buy a bottle of water. There was a new girl working there and she asked for 10 baht (usually 7 baht). I asked if she was sure and she said yes. I thought that that was a big increase. Anyway, the next day I went back and the owner was there as usual. She charged me 7 baht. I asked her, as to why the other girl charged 10 baht, She fetched her and asked the same question. The girl simply replied "Farang price". I put the bottle down and walked out, never to return.

3 baht in itself is nothing, but if I am charged more everywhere I go my little salary (government school teacher) will soon be eaten up.

so you punish the owner because one employee charged you 3 baht more one time. Wow

Yes, as I said it was the principle, not the amount.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Sattahip beaches that are controlled by Thai military. It doesn't matter if you have a work permit or not, you pay the 'farang" price anyway. That's what they say right in your face "You are not Thai, you pay the foreigner rate even if you pay taxes in Thailand!". Some beaches in the area are actually prohibited to foreigners, only Thai nationals with Thai IDs can enter.

Sincerely I felt that it was over the top. This is a pure widely accepted discrimination encouraged by the government.

Edited by Thunder26

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

Serious? What, did the 200 baht national park fee break their budget?

Hope they didn't go to Malaysia, Leos, Cambodia . . .

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

It's not about the money. It's about being discriminated against.

I do not visit any of the local attractions that have dual pricing. Period.

luudee

That's like arguing the fact that Thai people have to pay income tax in Thailand and tourists don't have to is discriminatory.

No...not at all. :rolleyes:

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

What for a few hundred bt?, you should go to Spain to see how you get cheated in the tourist spots. When you try to change money they will always shortchange you. They don't do this in Thailand. Tourists don't care whether they're paying more than Thais because the entrance costs are so cheap anyway. Just see a few old stones ((Stonehenge) in England costs more for tourists than any of the parks in Thailand and the locals the don't have to pay anything.

I am only guessing but I think you and other posters just might be philistine,I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Most short term tourists do not even know they are being Charged at a Higher Price. Some who do , just don't care, they can afford it they say.

Me, I just do not support any of the venues asking for a higher price, including restaurants and anything that see's a Farang as an extra charge.

Charge me 5 Baht extra, never see another Satang of mine.. Done..

Even the airlines here ( Not all ) have a double standard..

Think Farangs pay heavily, Japanese are the highest charged I have seen.. OH GOODY , JAPANESE, clap2.gif, $$$$$$ KA-CHING

I agree with you.

The practice of charging foreigners more is getting worse. I experience taxi drivers asking for a big tip, motorcycle taxis charging double or treble the normal rate.

A few weeks ago I went to my usual little shop to buy a bottle of water. There was a new girl working there and she asked for 10 baht (usually 7 baht). I asked if she was sure and she said yes. I thought that that was a big increase. Anyway, the next day I went back and the owner was there as usual. She charged me 7 baht. I asked her, as to why the other girl charged 10 baht, She fetched her and asked the same question. The girl simply replied "Farang price". I put the bottle down and walked out, never to return.

3 baht in itself is nothing, but if I am charged more everywhere I go my little salary (government school teacher) will soon be eaten up.

so you punish the owner because one employee charged you 3 baht more one time. Wow

Yes, as I said it was the principle, not the amount.

i understand principles but seriously the owner did not teach the employee this concept, so punishing them does nothing.

if Thailand ever wants to be favorable for the EU or USA they better lose the whole term "farang" to begin with and treat all people the same.

i know what i wrote,is an open door for trolls ,let me reassure all trolls will be dealt with by the dragon

I never understand why white westerners object to the term farang. It is simply a word for a white non-Thai. If I can live with Americans calling me a Brit, when I am actually English, I can certainly stand Thais calling me a farang.

if Thailand ever wants to be favorable for the EU or USA they better lose the whole term "farang" to begin with and treat all people the same.

i know what i wrote,is an open door for trolls ,let me reassure all trolls will be dealt with by the dragon

I never understand why white westerners object to the term farang. It is simply a word for a white non-Thai. If I can live with Americans calling me a Brit, when I am actually English, I can certainly stand Thais calling me a farang.

I agree Thais calling us Farang is not meant as derogatory and people shouldn't get offended. But I don't understand your comparison because if you are English then you are also British so why would you object to being called a Brit?

I agree Thais calling us Farang is not meant as derogatory and people shouldn't get offended. But I don't understand your comparison because if you are English then you are also British so why would you object to being called a Brit?

Just a silly throwaway comment. In the UK, the Scots, Welsh and Irish are encouraged to assert their national identity. But if you are English, and want to celebrate St George's day by flying the flag, you are considered racist.

You are not English,you are a Brit unless you want devolution.Try having a discussion with our colonial brethren i.e. Ozzies and Yanks.I would never give up my nationality in favour of a country that looks down on me ( but not my money ).There are so many deniers here who have been disappointed and not found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and they are very adamant about how great this country is but in the same breath they slang of their mother land.I suspect they know they have no plan "B" and will fight tooth and nail to defend LOS,interpret as you wish.

Just a silly throwaway comment. In the UK, the Scots, Welsh and Irish are encouraged to assert their national identity. But if you are English, and want to celebrate St George's day by flying the flag, you are considered racist.

Can you prove that?

You are not English,you are a Brit unless you want devolution.

He is English but his nationality is British.

I would be prepared to pay a higher amount if it meant the thai visitor numbers to the park were limited to the number of non-thai visitors each day.

One time is stamped in my memory of visiting a particular park where every deadbeat thai and their dog were let into dirty up a the place. Loud music, drinking, garbage everywhere. It was the most appalling national park I've ever seen. And they expect foreigners to pay 10 times the amount for a place that looked more like a camp ground after a music festival.

That was F-d. And frankly, the points of interest in Thailand are not really that great, so I'm not really missing anything by not going to these places.

But don't worry if you don't agree, I'm sure Soutpeel or one of the other I'm-better-than-you-farangs will be along soon to lecture everyone how if they don't like it then you need to leave the country, because everything is wonderful here and you should be happy to pay 10 times the prices on everything.

Duh I forgot how stupid I was about my own country,please excuse my ignorance.oh yeh UK means United Kingdom.Never was any good at history or geography.

Pedekd
"There was a new girl working there and she asked for 10 baht (usually 7 baht). "
Congratulations, you represented your country very well, but it seems you are unfortunately not fit for your country.
All those who say "the amount they charge me more in itself means nothing to me" are hypocrites and outspoken nikel murders.
They are the real quality expats.

Pedekd
"There was a new girl working there and she asked for 10 baht (usually 7 baht). "
Congratulations, you represented your country very well, but it seems you are unfortunately not fit for your country.
All those who say "the amount they charge me more in itself means nothing to me" are hypocrites and outspoken nikel murders.
They are the real quality expats.

Ok, farangmick let's dumb this right down for you and any other tools who are not too sharp..

Do you ever call black people you just met, negroes? Do you call Asian people you just met, Orientals? Or how about calling random people fatty base upon their body wieght?

And this is the most polite equivalent version to farang. Try some other racial identification terms and see how people like it.

Edited by Time Traveller

Yes this topic has been done over and over....but it will never go away unless the blatant discrimination goes away.

While the degree to which dual pricing bothers those being discriminated against varies from mild to extreme, I am sure the people that enjoy being unfairly treated are a rare breed indeed.

Multi, tiered pricing for children or seniors is not the same because we all either were or will be entitled to the age related discount or it applies to friends or family.

Discounts for military or police is also ok, as those that serve honorably provide an often underappreciated public service.

But when you are charged 10x the admission merely because of your nationality that is unacceptable. Some might say, The fact that the Government encourages it, makes it all the more deplorable... and it's this Government approval of discrimination that encourages some local businesses and services to rip off the farang at every opportunity.

The fact that a vail attempt to hide the dual pricing at national parks with signage that is unclear to the casual foreign observer seems deceptive at best.

I would propose that the TAT implement on a trial basis a fair pricing plan at select National parks for a time, and evaluate the the impact on net proceeds....at least then they can put a baht value on their discriminatory practices and determine if the money made is worth the negative image reflected upon them.

Edited by CMguy

Duh I forgot how stupid I was about my own country,please excuse my ignorance.oh yeh UK means United Kingdom.Never was any good at history or geography.

And your point about the UK is what?

I would be prepared to pay a higher amount if it meant the thai visitor numbers to the park were limited to the number of non-thai visitors each day.

One time is stamped in my memory of visiting a particular park where every deadbeat thai and their dog were let into dirty up a the place. Loud music, drinking, garbage everywhere. It was the most appalling national park I've ever seen. And they expect foreigners to pay 10 times the amount for a place that looked more like a camp ground after a music festival.

That was F-d. And frankly, the points of interest in Thailand are not really that great, so I'm not really missing anything by not going to these places.

But don't worry if you don't agree, I'm sure Soutpeel or one of the other I'm-better-than-you-farangs will be along soon to lecture everyone how if they don't like it then you need to leave the country, because everything is wonderful here and you should be happy to pay 10 times the prices on everything.

Good to see that you have worked out that Southpeel and other Agent Provacteur are alive and well in keeping this site alive.Is my use of A P against forum rules,if so I humbly apologise (tongue in cheek ).I believe this keeps me within the confines of the hierarchy."Money for nothing,Kicks for free."

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

So you don't mind subsidising the

Thai well off, even though you could be a farang pensioner? There's no excuse for dual pricing.

Edited by jesimps

Pedekd

They are the real quality expatG

Go back home and pay the extra everyday then you will have an argument,unless you are a quasi Thai.

Totally agree. I wish the UK would introduce it. So as my tax paid for Windsor Castle why do I need to pay again. And why people moan about paying a few pounds going into these wonderful places in Thailand is beyond me.

What <deleted> wonderful places? If you find one let me know.

I wear a hat and speak my fluent Thai. I go to the local market and buy everything.....then sell to my farang friends back at guesthouse.

I make millions....with work permit!! OK, no work permit.

but I don't need one.....my Thai is that good...

then I go back to America with 100 chinese to live in my 100 sq foot apartment and we make iphones

is this not capitalism???

if my soup lady tries to charge me more, I just go out and make my own!!!!

once i paid an extra 5 baht.......it still burns!!!!!!

shirtlifter, there is nothing like a quasi Thai, except self proclaimed.

Because kreng jai is not implemented in your brains.

Sorry me old mucker,I am not bi sexual,or do I mean bi lingual,did you look up the meaning of quasi?Oh well never mind I will continue to keep your pea brain amused so you have to look at the big words I use.Nice to see your inane entertaining posts,keep up the crap,we all enjoy,( Apart from the AP brigade ).

I am a fan of Thai boxing among other sports...

I live beside the stadium in bkk

I would go weekly if they didn't charge farang 10x the Thai price for WORSE seating...

I could afford the 10x price easily but I don't think it's fair to be treated as a 3rd class citizen so they can keep it...

I still watch the fights on a big TV at home FOR FREE but they have lost out on all the tickets and snacks I would have bought weekly (at least 2) if their policy wasn't so discriminatory...

If everyone boycotted these places they might notice a drop in revenue and rethink policy... Nah, just a dream

Less customers here means need to charge each more :)

petedk,

"Oh I can tip 100 Baht ... that's only XXX in my country. Maybe, but that is what has driven prices up here."

I heard that many times from low flyers in Goa during peak season. They work during summer in Europe in highly professional jobs like painters, beer garden waiters, dish washers etc. and use this money to survive in Goa during European winter but always having enough money for dope and other drugs.

They also always complain or even be aggressive when giving a generous tip with the same arguments like you use. I call them quality visitors.