Paracetamol with codeine

geisha

Hi all, I have been prescribed paracetamol with codeine for pain. Capsulite retractile and arthritis. I will be coming back to Thailand via Dubai and over nighting in the city to break up the long flight . Codeine is on the not allowed list in Dubai. Not wishing to take any risks, my question is, can I buy these medicines in Thailand ? Thank you.

Not only does it require a prescription but it can only be gotten at a hospital pharmacy. And, Thai doctors tend to be reluctant to prescribe it.

I suggest seeing if you can reroute. Note that to legally bring it into Thailand you need to get a license from the FDA in advance - not as hard as it sounds. see attached document for procedure.

narcotics psychotropics import.pdf

If I go with my French doctors prescription to a clinic (Pattaya area?) can I buy them there, paying the consultation of course ? Thank you all.

No

Foreign prescriptions are not valid in Thailand

Best you obtain a Drs Letter (written in English) which describes your condition and the need for a codeine based medication.

Such medication can only be prescribed/dispensed by a hospital

If I go with my French doctors prescription to a clinic (Pattaya area?) can I buy them there, paying the consultation of course ? Thank you all.

It really is pretty easy to get from most clinics that has a proper doctor. Some of them only charge hundred bt for a consultation the and have the medicine in stock. But if you go to a private hospital you will pay at least 500 bt for a prescription and they will overcharge you for the medication. But most government hospitals do not prescribe this medication because of the abuse possibilities. I have always easily obtained it because I have chronic back pain, spinal stenosis. But I don't take it any more. I don't like the side-effects. It causes severe constipation and can very easily be addicted to. I have found that acupuncture is much better.

My guy sells it to me across the counter but he's not suppose to. I use it to sometimes to calm my system/stomach pains. It doesn't happen very often but codein shuts down the spasms like nothing else. I do hate taking it. I'm constipated for the next couple of days and it makes me crazy!

Your doctor wants you to be taking this on a regular basis? Eff that! Have a bowel movement every few days? facepalm.gif

Try Gabapentin. This is a much better way to go that codeine for pain.

http://www.kamalala.com/gaba-is-the-drug-for-chronic-pain/

My guy sells it to me across the counter but he's not suppose to. I use it to sometimes to calm my system/stomach pains. It doesn't happen very often but codein shuts down the spasms like nothing else. I do hate taking it. I'm constipated for the next couple of days and it makes me crazy!

Your doctor wants you to be taking this on a regular basis? Eff that! Have a bowel movement every few days? facepalm.gif

Gabapentin is a dangerous drug and you should do your research (Google it) before even considering it......Try searching, "is Gabapentin dangerous" for a start.

Check out this website: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/gabapentin-side-effects.html

COMMON SIDE EFFECTS OF GABAPENTIN:

· Clumsiness or unsteadiness

· continuous, uncontrolled, back-and-forth, or rolling eye movements

· Blurred vision

· cold or flu-like symptoms

· delusions

· dementia

· hoarseness

· lack or loss of strength

· lower back or side pain

· swelling of the hands, feet, or lower legs

· trembling or shaking

· Nervous system side effects have been common. Somnolence, dizziness, ataxia, headache, and fatigue have been reported to occur in more than 10% of treated patients. Vertigo, hyperkinesia, paresthesia, decreased or absent reflexes, increased reflexes, anxiety, and hostility have been reported frequently.

· Anorexia, flatulence, and gingivitis have been reported frequently

· Dyspepsia, dry mouth, constipation, dental abnormalities, flatulence, increased appetite, breast enlargement, and weight gain have also been reported

· Hematologic side effects have frequently been reported to include purpura.

· Cardiovascular side effects including hypertension have been reported to occur in more than one percent of patients taking gabapentin.

· Ocular side effects including abnormal vision have been reported frequently.

· Dermatologic side effects including alopecia, eczema, dry skin, increased sweating, urticaria, hirsutism, seborrhea, cyst, and herpes simplex have been reported

· Genitourinary side effects including hematuria, dysuria, urination frequency, cystitis, urinary retention, urinary incontinence, vaginal hemorrhage, amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia, breast cancer, inability to climax, and abnormal ejaculation have been reported infrequently

· Musculoskeletal side effects including arthralgia have been reported frequently.

· Postmarketing reports have included rhabdomyolysis and elevated creatine kinase

· General side effects have included asthenia, malaise, and facial edema which have been reported frequently

· Endocrine side effects reported postmarketing have included breast enlargement.

· Respiratory side effects including pneumonia have been reported frequently.

· Several cases of hepatotoxicity have also been reported

· Oncologic side effects have been reported in animal studies.

This is a drug designed to treat other disorders.

Sounds like a drug designed to hasten end of days!

Yes it does doesn't it and it is only FDA approved as a tricyclic antidepressant primarily used as an adjunctive therapy in the treatment of partial onset seizures, with and without secondary generalization, in adults and pediatric patients 3 years and older with epilepsy, and management of postherpetic neuralgia in adults.

Also it is sometimes prescribed for "off label use because of Its limited efficacy in the treatment of fibromyalgia and chronic low back pain.

I was prescribed a tricyclic antidepressant for pain emanating from my elbow which was originally diagnosed as RSI/OOS and the experience I had with it was frightening.........feeling sick, also felt like I was suffering from a constant hangover, lethargy, I had no idea of time or many of my actions during the day, my vision was impaired as was my thinking. To tell the truth, the 10 days I was on this particular drug are still a bit of a mystery to me because I can't remember much other than the above, except to say that I lost almost 10 days of my life and felt like I was sliding towards death.

If I had the choice to take paracetamol with codeine to alleviate my pain and then take a couple of spoonfuls of Fybrogel or psyllium husk to ensure the system was working fine, then it would be a no-brainer because Gabapentin and others like it when used "off label" pose undue risks because that's not what they were specifically designed for.

Edited by xylophone

Hi again , all these comments sound terrifying! I don't think the dose I'm after can be very strong, as they are commonly prescribed for pain that parecetemol alone won't help.ive even had an over the counter , well known tablet that is quite common in France ! This is the kind the doctor has prescribed for my shoulder pain, and not some strong codeine mix that leads to all sorts of awful things. Also, I have never had constipation trouble with the dose I'm taking and no side effects. I think the medicine described here is probably for someone in terrible pain/ illness, which is not my case. I've also had tramadol which was quite good too, also no side effects, maybe a low dosage. Thank you all.

Hi again , all these comments sound terrifying! I don't think the dose I'm after can be very strong, as they are commonly prescribed for pain that parecetemol alone won't help.ive even had an over the counter , well known tablet that is quite common in France ! This is the kind the doctor has prescribed for my shoulder pain, and not some strong codeine mix that leads to all sorts of awful things. Also, I have never had constipation trouble with the dose I'm taking and no side effects. I think the medicine described here is probably for someone in terrible pain/ illness, which is not my case. I've also had tramadol which was quite good too, also no side effects, maybe a low dosage. Thank you all.

Pethedine is damn good shit :)

Don't think you would ever be allowed to use it at home lol

I woke up after surgery in serious pain and 7 seconds after a shot of Pethedine I felt great :)

Gabapentin is not a tricyclic antidepressent. And not normally used to treat depression.

Its uses are as an antiepileptic and for neuropathic pain.

True, my bad, was getting it mixed up with previous generations of anti depressants which were sometimes used to try and treat neuropathic pain.......unsuccessfully in my case.

Having said that it is FDA approved as an antiepileptic and for management of postherpetic neuralgia, not as a general painkiller.

The OP was enquiring after the para/codeine tablets which which would IMO be a safer bet (I do buy them here).

I buy tramadol for an elderly neighbor with bad arthritis. No problems at all getting it at large pharmacy in town. They do register my name when I buy it and no doubt if I was getting large quantities there would be an issue, but as she takes it only occasionally quantiites are small.

Some pharmacies don't want the hassle and do not sell for that reason. but legally they can as long as they record the details and a first grade pharmacist was on duty.

I buy tramadol for an elderly neighbor with bad arthritis. No problems at all getting it at large pharmacy in town. They do register my name when I buy it and no doubt if I was getting large quantities there would be an issue, but as she takes it only occasionally quantiites are small.

Some pharmacies don't want the hassle and do not sell for that reason. but legally they can as long as they record the details and a first grade pharmacist was on duty.

I have been taking 50 mg.Tramadol HCL for several years now, on an "as needed" basis. It works well for me. I have been needing to use it with increasing frequency, as my arthritis simply is not improving, no surprise there. Left hip, right knee, torn rotator in one shoulder, a couple of "bad" discs, peripheral neuropathy, and persistent sternotomy pain. Any one or two could be manageable, but the full orchestra is debilitating and causes insomnia. I also need to know where one can get insulin.... my recent experience of going to Kluaynamthai 2 Hospital and paying 1,600 bt for one vial of type "N" insulin was traumatic. :)

Does anybody know of a specific place or places where I can address these needs? Please? I keep reading about a "large pharmacy in town", or "the people's hospital, I don't recall the name but locals will know...". Every pharmacy I go to says "no" to both. Nobody knows what "the people's hospital is". Last trip I was getting by on Ultracet when I could find it and had brought enough insulin for my two month stay. This time I will be here for at least six months, and had no idea insulin would be so hard to come by, so I did not try to secure a six months supply.

Thank you.

I have been taking 50 mg.Tramadol HCL for several years now, on an "as needed" basis. It works well for me. I have been needing to use it with increasing frequency, as my arthritis simply is not improving, no surprise there. Left hip, right knee, torn rotator in one shoulder, a couple of "bad" discs, peripheral neuropathy, and persistent sternotomy pain. Any one or two could be manageable, but the full orchestra is debilitating and causes insomnia. I also need to know where one can get insulin.... my recent experience of going to Kluaynamthai 2 Hospital and paying 1,600 bt for one vial of type "N" insulin was traumatic. smile.png

Does anybody know of a specific place or places where I can address these needs? Please? I keep reading about a "large pharmacy in town", or "the people's hospital, I don't recall the name but locals will know...". Every pharmacy I go to says "no" to both. Nobody knows what "the people's hospital is". Last trip I was getting by on Ultracet when I could find it and had brought enough insulin for my two month stay. This time I will be here for at least six months, and had no idea insulin would be so hard to come by, so I did not try to secure a six months supply.

Thank you.

If you are talking about "Humulin N" insulin then it is available in Thailand but likely only found at large pharmacies.

Are you staying in the Bang Na area of Bangkok?

I have been taking 50 mg.Tramadol HCL for several years now, on an "as needed" basis. It works well for me. I have been needing to use it with increasing frequency, as my arthritis simply is not improving, no surprise there. Left hip, right knee, torn rotator in one shoulder, a couple of "bad" discs, peripheral neuropathy, and persistent sternotomy pain. Any one or two could be manageable, but the full orchestra is debilitating and causes insomnia. I also need to know where one can get insulin.... my recent experience of going to Kluaynamthai 2 Hospital and paying 1,600 bt for one vial of type "N" insulin was traumatic. smile.png

Thank you.

If you are talking about "Humulin N" insulin then it is available in Thailand but likely only found at large pharmacies.

Are you staying in the Bang Na area of Bangkok?

Yes, I am living at Udom Suk, near the BTS.

I just do not know yet what qualifies as a "large" or state run pharmacy. As I walk about, with some difficulty but I need the exercise badly, I stop in everywhere I see a "pharmacy". Most of them seem to specialize in cosmetic products.

I can use the BTS fairly well, and of course there are taxis around. If I just had a definite idea where to go I could find my way, with my girlfriend's assistance if needed. She is pretty wonderful, but this is an area completely outside of her experience.

Any information would be gratefully received! Thanks.

There are 2 pharmacies on Soi Onnut less than 100 meters from Sukhumvit. I've used the one that is on your right as you walk into the Soi. BTS to Onnut. Inexpensive so tend to be crowded.

You can also try the large pharmacy ion Sukhumvit Soi 2, across diagonally from expressway entrance. BTS to Chidlom.

• 2 months later...

Thai doctors will give out tramadol much easier than codeine or any morphine derivatives

The pain relief is pretty similar and its very cheap alternative in Thailand if you have problems finding codeine

I have to disagree with you on that, but it's just my personal opinion.

Codeine actually kills pain, and does so effectively.

Tramadol will just makes you feel better about your pain, but does little to alleviate it. You're just Ok with being in pain.

Gabapentine is good for neurological pain, such as the pain from shingles or a herpes outbreak (thank you my cheating ex-wife and the makers of generic valacyclovir).

Codeine and Tram, used long-term, will have withdrawal symptoms. Nice as long as they work, but eventually you need to 'pay the piper'. Just saying. All these drugs are useful, but you do need to understand that you are "Tickling the Dragon" when you use. Used judiciously, and with presence of mind, and the understanding that they can leave you with withdrawal symptoms similar to those experienced by a heroin user -- well, you've been warned. Don't blame your withdrawals on your doctor or your pharmacist. You can 'withdraw smart' or you can suffer. Up to you! These are not 'Evil" drugs. They are very useful. There are just knowledgeable and ignorant users. If you have read my comments, you are no longer ignorant. Are you? wink.png

Thai doctors will give out tramadol much easier than codeine or any morphine derivatives

The pain relief is pretty similar and its very cheap alternative in Thailand if you have problems finding codeine

I have to disagree with you on that, but it's just my personal opinion.

Codeine actually kills pain, and does so effectively.

Tramadol will just makes you feel better about your pain, but does little to alleviate it. You're just Ok with being in pain.

Gabapentine is good for neurological pain, such as the pain from shingles or a herpes outbreak (thank you my cheating ex-wife and the makers of generic valacyclovir).

Codeine and Tram, used long-term, will have withdrawal symptoms. Nice as long as they work, but eventually you need to 'pay the piper'. Just saying. All these drugs are useful, but you do need to understand that you are "Tickling the Dragon" when you use. Used judiciously, and with presence of mind, and the understanding that they can leave you with withdrawal symptoms similar to those experienced by a heroin user -- well, you've been warned. Don't blame your withdrawals on your doctor or your pharmacist. You can 'withdraw smart' or you can suffer. Up to you! These are not 'Evil" drugs. They are very useful. There are just knowledgeable and ignorant users. If you have read my comments, you are no longer ignorant. Are you? wink.png

Agree entirely with that paragraph.

For me Gabapentin (Neurontin) has been a life saver for peripheral neuropathic pain. In Thailand I was prescribed 300 mg a day in divided doses by a neurologist, which helped a little. I have returned to the UK to get things sorted out and took my NCS studies etc to a neurologist here, who told me that for this condition they start a patient on 1,200 mgs a day and can increase it to 3,600 mgs if necessary. I'm now on 1,500 mgs a day in divided doses and it's nice to walk without pain.

I notice doctors here don't prescribe generic medication, well at least not the doctors I've seen.

Gabapentin is a dangerous drug and you should do your research (Google it) before even considering it......Try searching, "is Gabapentin dangerous" for a start.

· Blurred vision

· delusions

· dementia

· hoarseness

· trembling or shaking

· Nervous system side effects have been common. Somnolence, dizziness, ataxia, headache, and fatigue have been reported to occur in more than 10% of treated patients. Vertigo, hyperkinesia, paresthesia, decreased or absent reflexes, increased reflexes, anxiety, and hostility have been reported frequently.

· Dyspepsia, dry mouth, constipation, dental abnormalities, flatulence, increased appetite, breast enlargement, and weight gain have also been reported

· Cardiovascular side effects including hypertension have been reported to occur in more than one percent of patients taking gabapentin.

· Dermatologic side effects including alopecia, eczema, dry skin, increased sweating, urticaria, hirsutism, seborrhea, cyst, and herpes simplex have been reported

· Genitourinary side effects including hematuria, dysuria, urination frequency, cystitis, urinary retention, urinary incontinence, vaginal hemorrhage, amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia, breast cancer, inability to climax, and abnormal ejaculation have been reported infrequently

· Musculoskeletal side effects including arthralgia have been reported frequently.

· Postmarketing reports have included rhabdomyolysis and elevated creatine kinase

· General side effects have included asthenia, malaise, and facial edema which have been reported frequently

· Endocrine side effects reported postmarketing have included breast enlargement.

Sounds exactly like drugs I have taken daily for years to allow me to piss like a normal person. Do I want to take them? No. But life can be pretty darn uncomfortable if I don't. If you read the indications, contra-indications, and interactions page of virtually any FDA approved drug, you'll see a list like this. What you need to do is to look into the frequency of those adverse reactions. Generally they are a percent or fraction of a percent of users who are effected. Should you know? Hell yeah, of course. Be an educated user. But generally you'll be outside of statistically 'Significant' if you react in the way that many of the drugs report. Absolutely do your research. Eating too much table salt will eventually kill you. But, forewarned is forearmed. Just be smart about what you put in your mouth. Just saying.

• Chills
  • cold sweats
  • confusion
  • dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position
  • Bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
  • breast enlargement and tenderness
  • hives or welts
  • itchy skin
  • rapid weight gain
  • redness of the skin
  • skin rash
  • swelling of the lips and face
  • tingling of the hands or feet
  • unusual weight gain or loss
  • Clear or bloody discharge from the nipple
  • dimpling of the breast skin
  • inverted nipple
  • lump in the breast or under the arm
  • persistent crusting or scaling of the nipple
  • redness or swelling of the breast
  • sore on the skin of the breast that does not heal
  • Decreased interest in sexual intercourse
  • inability to have or keep an erection
  • loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
  • Runny nose
  • sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
  • sneezing
  • stuffy nose
  • Abdominal or stomach pain
  • back pain
  • decreased amount of semen
  • diarrhea
  • dizziness
  • headache
  • Dizziness or lightheadedness
  • Blurred vision
  • confusion
  • dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position
  • fainting (sudden)
  • fast and pounding heartbeat
  • irregular heartbeat
  • shortness of breath
  • sweating
  • swelling of feet or lower legs
  • Painful or prolonged erection of the penis (called priapism), although extremely rare, must have immediate medical attention. If painful or prolonged erection occurs, call your doctor or go to an emergency room as soon as possible
  • Abdominal or stomach pain
  • area rash
  • black, tarry stools
  • bleeding gums
  • blood in urine or stools
  • chest pain or discomfort
  • chills
  • clay-colored stools
  • cough
  • dark urine
  • diarrhea
  • difficulty breathing
  • difficult, burning, or painful urination
  • fever
  • general tiredness and weakness
  • headache, sudden and severe
  • inability to speak
  • itching
  • lab results that show problems with liver
  • light-colored stools
  • loss of appetite
  • noisy breathing
  • pain or discomfort in arms, jaw, back or neck
  • pinpoint red or purple spots on skin
  • rash
  • seizures
  • slow or irregular heartbeat
  • slurred speech
  • sore throat
  • sores, ulcers, or white spots on lips or in mouth
  • swollen glands
  • temporary blindness
  • tightness in chest
  • unpleasant breath odor
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • upper right abdominal pain
  • vomiting
  • vomiting of blood
  • weakness in arm and/or leg on one side of the body, sudden and severe
  • wheezing
  • yellow eyes and skin
  • Headache
  • lack or loss of strength
  • unusual tiredness or weakness
  • Acid or sour stomach
  • back pain
  • belching
  • bladder pain
  • cloudy urine
  • difficulty in moving
  • frequent urge to urinate
  • heartburn
  • indigestion
  • joint pain
  • lower back or side pain
  • muscle aching, cramping, or weakness
  • muscle pains or stiffness
  • nausea
  • nervousness, restlessness, unusual irritability
  • runny nose
  • sleepiness or drowsiness
  • sneezing
  • sore throat
  • stomach discomfort, upset or pain
  • swollen joints
  • Anxiety
  • burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, “pins and needles”, or tingling feeling
  • change in frequency or urination
  • dry mouth
  • feeling of warmth
  • frequent urination
  • general feeling of discomfort or illness
  • hair loss
  • hives or welts
  • hyperventilation
  • increased urge to urinate during the night
  • increased volume of pale dilute urine
  • loss of appetite
  • painful urination
  • redness of skin
  • redness of the face, neck, arms and occasionally upper chest
  • shaking
  • swelling of the breasts or breast soreness in both females and males
  • thinning of hair
  • trouble in holding or releasing urine
  • trouble sleeping
  • waking to urinate at night
  • weight loss
Edited by connda

· Blurred vision

· delusions

· dementia

· hoarseness

· trembling or shaking

Sounds exactly like drugs I have taken daily for years to allow me to piss like a normal person. Do I want to take them? No. But life can be pretty darn uncomfortable if I don't. If you read the indications, contra-indications, and interactions page of virtually any FDA approved drug, you'll see a list like this. What you need to do is to look into the frequency of those adverse reactions. Generally they are a percent or fraction of a percent of users who are effected. Should you know? Hell yeah, of course. Be an educated user. But generally you'll be outside of statistically 'Significant' if you react in the way that many of the drugs report. Absolutely do your research. Eating too much table salt will eventually kill you. But, forewarned is forearmed. Just be smart about what you put in your mouth.

Agree again

They have to put those SE in if any have been reported, they're just covering their own butts

Edited by uptheos