Paracetamol with codeine

geisha

My guy sells it to me across the counter but he's not suppose to. I use it to sometimes to calm my system/stomach pains. It doesn't happen very often but codein shuts down the spasms like nothing else. I do hate taking it. I'm constipated for the next couple of days and it makes me crazy!

Your doctor wants you to be taking this on a regular basis? Eff that! Have a bowel movement every few days? facepalm.gif

Try Gabapentin. This is a much better way to go that codeine for pain.

http://www.kamalala.com/gaba-is-the-drug-for-chronic-pain/

Gabapentin is a dangerous drug and you should do your research (Google it) before even considering it......Try searching, "is Gabapentin dangerous" for a start.

Check out this website: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/gabapentin-side-effects.html

COMMON SIDE EFFECTS OF GABAPENTIN:

· Clumsiness or unsteadiness

· continuous, uncontrolled, back-and-forth, or rolling eye movements

· Blurred vision

· cold or flu-like symptoms

· delusions

· dementia

· hoarseness

· lack or loss of strength

· lower back or side pain

· swelling of the hands, feet, or lower legs

· trembling or shaking

· Nervous system side effects have been common. Somnolence, dizziness, ataxia, headache, and fatigue have been reported to occur in more than 10% of treated patients. Vertigo, hyperkinesia, paresthesia, decreased or absent reflexes, increased reflexes, anxiety, and hostility have been reported frequently.

· Anorexia, flatulence, and gingivitis have been reported frequently

· Dyspepsia, dry mouth, constipation, dental abnormalities, flatulence, increased appetite, breast enlargement, and weight gain have also been reported

· Hematologic side effects have frequently been reported to include purpura.

· Cardiovascular side effects including hypertension have been reported to occur in more than one percent of patients taking gabapentin.

· Ocular side effects including abnormal vision have been reported frequently.

· Dermatologic side effects including alopecia, eczema, dry skin, increased sweating, urticaria, hirsutism, seborrhea, cyst, and herpes simplex have been reported

· Genitourinary side effects including hematuria, dysuria, urination frequency, cystitis, urinary retention, urinary incontinence, vaginal hemorrhage, amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia, breast cancer, inability to climax, and abnormal ejaculation have been reported infrequently

· Musculoskeletal side effects including arthralgia have been reported frequently.

· Postmarketing reports have included rhabdomyolysis and elevated creatine kinase

· General side effects have included asthenia, malaise, and facial edema which have been reported frequently

· Endocrine side effects reported postmarketing have included breast enlargement.

· Respiratory side effects including pneumonia have been reported frequently.

· Several cases of hepatotoxicity have also been reported

· Oncologic side effects have been reported in animal studies.

This is a drug designed to treat other disorders.

Sounds exactly like drugs I have taken daily for years to allow me to piss like a normal person. Do I want to take them? No. But life can be pretty darn uncomfortable if I don't. If you read the indications, contra-indications, and interactions page of virtually any FDA approved drug, you'll see a list like this. What you need to do is to look into the frequency of those adverse reactions. Generally they are a percent or fraction of a percent of users who are effected. Should you know? Hell yeah, of course. Be an educated user. But generally you'll be outside of statistically 'Significant' if you react in the way that many of the drugs report. Absolutely do your research. Eating too much table salt will eventually kill you. But, forewarned is forearmed. Just be smart about what you put in your mouth.

Agree again

They have to put those SE in if any have been reported, they're just covering their own butts

For those with RLS, gabapentin is a godsend when detoxing off of an opiate. Not claiming first hand knowledge, just saying. Talk to you own physician boys and girls...you're mileage may vary. smile.png

I'd advise being very careful with this.

I've been told by a doctor in Thailand that codeine is a very touchy subject due to extensive abuse in the past.

I wouldn't feel safe with medicine containing codeine in my luggage when going through the customs on arrival.

fwiw, my understanding, is that crushing long acting oxycontin is the largest culprit of abuse, not so much the hydro/oxycodones.

and that addiction to codeine is far less common that people like to crow about. and tramadol works on the receptor at the synapse, but its the same synapse as what codeine works on, so not dissimilar in

either adverse reactions, nor effects

the experience of pain is complicated, vs. the mechanics, hence the use of mood drugs for "pain" etc