'Millions to benefit' from new Social Security Act

Lite Beer

'Millions to benefit' from new Social Security Act
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- The newly passed fourth edition of the Social Security Act will provide additional benefits to almost 14 million subscribers, the government has said.

Those benefits cover healthcare, childbirth, unemployment and death, deputy government spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday. The new law will come into effect on October 20.

The Act will provide secured welfare to all levels of workers under the Social Security Office scheme, Sansern said.

The added benefits for healthcare include someone being harmed by a medical service receiving initial expense aid while compensation will now be paid to people with a chronic illness or a disability who die before their contributions reached the required amount. All disabled people will now receive lifelong benefits instead of only those became disabled after March 31, 1995, when the SSO extended the disability benefit for life.

The Bt13,000 allowance for the birth of a child is now paid out on an unlimited basis and there is a 90-day maternity leave allowance.

The Bt400-per-month child support allowance for the first six years of a child's life is now available for up to three children at the same time.

Unemployment benefits now cover a temporary suspension of a business due to unavoidable incidents such as flooding, compared to the previous coverage of only when someone is laid off or quits.

Sansern said a committee had been established under the new law that aimed to ensure measures carried out under it were done transparently while the committee members were required to declare their assets and debts to the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Millions-to-benefit-from-new-Social-Security-Act-30270614.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-11

The additional benefits will be a boon to qualified Thai citizens.

But only so long as the program remains solvent. And there is zero discussion on how that will be achieved, especialy when the Thai economy is in a depression and tax revenues are falling. Somkid has predicted 3-5 years for a full economic recovery with only mimimal improvement in 2016.

So while well-deserving, the program improvements need to be delayed until there can be sustainability of the economy.

Is this part of the scheme whereby Thais pay 100bts and the Government adds 50bts per month and also includes a payout if you are in hospital, a lump sum at 60 and and additional 600bts a month pension? I have seen the leaflet at City Hall.

I think the limit to 3 children is right, 3 children will sustain a slight rise in the population, unlike many Western countries which have most families having 2 or less children. There are some immigrants in the West who are trying to put this right with much larger families I understand.

I doubt if this will be enough for the UK govt. to consider it as part of a reciprocal arrangement. Maybe it would if pensions were included in the new social security act.............coffee1.gif

The reciprical arrangement is a red herring all that the UK HMG needs to do is to amend the clause 20 of the latest Pension Bill to restore those rights to pay annual increases, no HMG seems, when they get into power, to be able to do this, sadly.

If the UK votes to leave the EU then all those pensioners living in the EU may find that their annual increases are also amended as well and what will happen then?

No private Thai schools will give mothers ninety days off. They will be sacked, and then blackballed.

Private schools give practically nothing!! If you are LUCKY, they school will have a provident fund (happens for Thai teachers, not us). I won't even go into severance pay....

I would hope that ALL schools be forced to pay into a social security fund, for ALL teachers.

No private Thai schools will give mothers ninety days off. They will be sacked, and then blackballed.

Private schools give practically nothing!! If you are LUCKY, they school will have a provident fund (happens for Thai teachers, not us). I won't even go into severance pay....

I would hope that ALL schools be forced to pay into a social security fund, for ALL teachers.

ALL schools are ALREADY forced to buy the SS for their employees.

This is not optional.

I doubt if this will be enough for the UK govt. to consider it as part of a reciprocal arrangement. Maybe it would if pensions were included in the new social security act.............:coffee1:

Could you please advise me on what your emoticon means in all this. Is it relevant ? Does it mean to say something that you fail to put into the written word? A written explanation may help us all to understand the rest of what your attempting to say. Thanks

The Thai's have caught on. Distribute "gifts" without increasing taxes. Just borrow the money from overseas capital markets . Future generations will have to deal with it.

As "Western-Countries" have done this for the last 70 years, why should Thailand not implement the same concept?

By the time "the concept" starts to hurt, the architects of the concept will be long death.

- If not much else, this "Magic Concept" from overseas, even the Thais have understood by now.

Cheers.

The 1300 baht a month is not for every one with kids is it, I assume you have to be working to receive this allowance ? My girl freind had a baby 5 months ago , she has not worked for just under 2 years but had worked before, around 20 years in clothing factories.

Edited by jamie2009

No change to the rules that prohibits shareholders and directors, who are also employees, from being enrolled in the SS scheme. I never understood the justification for this. Many of them need the coverage. others may be wealthy and never bother to claim anything, which means they would subsidise others. I have read stories in Thai web boards like Pantip where people complained of being booted out of the scheme by the SSO because it found out they had received a small quantity of shares in their company as a bonus.

Don't tell me, the money will be disbursed to the puyai in each village and he wil distribute it to pregnant mums and and mums with small children.. Guaranteed corruption free. I mean the puyai would never think of diverting funds into his own or his familys' pockets now, would he? Who could even suggest such a thing.

Is this part of the scheme whereby Thais pay 100bts and the Government adds 50bts per month and also includes a payout if you are in hospital, a lump sum at 60 and and additional 600bts a month pension? I have seen the leaflet at City Hall.

I think the limit to 3 children is right, 3 children will sustain a slight rise in the population, unlike many Western countries which have most families having 2 or less children. There are some immigrants in the West who are trying to put this right with much larger families I understand.

3 children at any one time so if they have a 4th 6 years after the first the gravy train continues, I feel more is needed...

• Payments until a child finishes school...
  • Free school until a child is 16, better still 18...
  • Free university for the talented where the family can not afford to send them.
  • Benefits for all disabled Thai nationals unable to work.
  • A scheme to make absent fathers contribute to the support their children.
  • A pension scheme.

To pay for this Thailand needs to address its problem with those in the grey and black economies who do not contribute.

3 children at any one time so if they have a 4th 6 years after the first the gravy train continues, I feel more is needed...

• Payments until a child finishes school...
  • Free school until a child is 16, better still 18...
  • Free university for the talented where the family can not afford to send them.
  • Benefits for all disabled Thai nationals unable to work.
  • A scheme to make absent fathers contribute to the support their children.
  • A pension scheme.

To pay for this Thailand needs to address its problem with those in the grey and black economies who do not contribute.

Does B400/month/child constitute a gravy train?