Banking

eddyins

i have been married to a thai for 6 months and living at her home in don muang, i have been using my uk bank account with hsbc but was unable to afford an account in the hsbc in bkk as they asked for 500000 baht on deposit.

my wife opened an account at the kasikorn bank but when she asked for me to be a joint account holder they told her i must be resident for 3 years,

can anyone suggest a bank in bkk that will open an account for us

eddyins

bangkok

i found thaifarmers the best went in walked out 15mins later with a personal current account, give them a try

Are you sure it is not a passport savings account? This is normally the only type of account that they will open. Also the name has changed. No more Thai Farmers.

Banks and bank branches follows different stars so going down the street a bit may find someone happy to take your money. But it will usually only be a passbook type savings account with atm access. Checking accounts are much harder to obtain and very few people use them anyhow. The major players offer atm and phone payment systems that can be used for many things. As well as direct debit.