Thailand's single gateway is an abyss

webfact

REGIONAL PERSPECTIVE
Thailand's single gateway is an abyss

Kavi Chongkittavorn
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The controversial plan to impose a "Single Gateway" to control websites on the Internet will certainly damage, or even completely destroy, the accomplishments and reputation Thailand has been stocking up for decades, including those since last May. As sure as sun rises in the morning, it is the single highway to hell.

At the moment, governments around the world must wrestle with the dark side of a growing use of social media. Some countries deem it as a huge threat to their national security and social fabric, despite the benefits that come with its global connectivity.

For instance, within the region, the rise of violent extremists and terror threats have persuaded Asean members to impose stronger measures on digital surveillance. Thailand is no exception.

Therefore, each country has to deal with unique local challenges in order to protect its national security, which quite often impinges on citizens' freedom and liberty. Democratic countries all around the world have cyber-security policies and approaches in place to ensure the balance between the need to protect national security and civil liberty. No single country has perfect Internet governance.

Internet governance is a big issue that takes time to figure out the best practices.

The way this government currently approaches the whole process in managing digital challenges is just not suitable. It responds mainly to some prevalent foolish views that the Internet must be controlled stringently now as the country is going through transition - or so the conventional wisdom goes. Otherwise, the Thai political situation will not be stabilised as Thais will use social media to say whatever they like without thinking of the consequences.

Therefore, lawmakers have simply concluded that the best solution is to control the Internet. Thailand remains the only country with a relatively free press that seeks to control the Internet. The rest of the world tries to control press freedom and let loose on Internet control.

Thailand has to make sure that use of the Internet will benefit the public. To do so, Internet governance must not be decided by a handful of ill-informed and one-track mind-set officials - civilians or uniformed people.

At this juncture, there is urgent need to engage all the stakeholders - the government, private sector and the public. So far, they are not working together, literally living in silos — thinking they are doing favours for their country, companies and public interest. But not one realises as a whole the country is suffering for its lack of holistic and sensitive policies and plans.

For instance, while this government understands full well the economic importance of the Internet, it does not appreciate at all the freedom that has to come with it to pro?mote such interest. Therefore, the much-heralded plan to create Thailand as a hub of e-commerce for Asean and the world would remain a pipe-dream if such stringent Internet control were to be allowed.

Private telecommunications firms in Thailand are the most notorious, selfish bodies, lacking in genuine corporate responsibility and good practices.

Extensive and deep-budget public and media relations, coupled with personal ties with media proprietors and editorial writers, have saved their reputation and promoted the illusion they are doing the right things for society.

In the case of the Thai public, they need to be educated about Internet governance and what is needed to ensure they maximise freedom on the Net to promote economic and social changes. Also, what are the limits when it comes to national security and future terror threats? So far, the government has only talked about fraud, scams and the use of malware.

Thailand is lucky because it has not yet been a target of cyber attacks as many other countries in the region have suffered. There have been few incidents of hackings - at a low level - which were not disruptive to the country's critical infrastructure.

However, in light of recent developments after the Erawan Shrine bombing and Thailand's new foreign policy approaches, the security apparatus is focusing on tightening the cyber-security regime.

It is sad that Thailand's reputation as a free media country has been tarnished due to a few hard-heads at the top who think that the Internet can be controlled by a single gateway. It is a fallacy. Each day, the Thai government is spending at least Bt1.7 million on digital surveillance, which has not yet yielded any tangible result, except building up more cases to back up support for more Internet controls. Most of the shut-down and banned websites - tens of thousands of them - have been mainly mirror sites. Court orders for such actions have been abused by officials responsible for digital surveillance.

In fact, what they have done is considered self-destructive as their plans and strategies end up contradicting each other. They all have good intentions but that does not mean they will yield positive results. Thailand cannot muddle through this way now at this transitional period.

The Single Gateway must be abandoned otherwise the country's digital infrastructure will be crippled. As in Finland and South Korea, the government should use the Internet, which has become an integral part of our lives, as a driving force for better political and societal transformation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Thailands-single-gateway-is-an-abyss-30270652.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-12

Thailand remains the only country with a relatively free press that seeks to control the Internet.

I stopped taking the article seriously at this point.

The only reason the journalist said Thailand's press is relatively free is because he was too afraid or too naïve to say it isn't.

Thailand remains the only country with a relatively free press that seeks to control the Internet.

The only reason the journalist said Thailand's press is relatively free is because he was too afraid or too naïve to say it isn't.

Yes, I agree completely.

The Junta have backtracked on the gateway and it is not going to happen - but some of the press seem to have latched on to the original idea and are intent on hammering the same point again and again.

It's clear they are well and truly bought in Thailand. What makes it abundantly clear to me is the fact we keep getting big stories about things where the dirty cronies were much worse, but no reporter said a dicky bird at the time.

At this point, I only take any criticism of the Junta seriously if the person making it was also critical of Pheu-Thai. The only person I can think of who did that is Veera of Bangkok post.

The rest are hypocrites who should shut up until their dirty ways are reformed. While they are waiting, they should read their 'code of ethics' again and wonder where along the way they lost sight of right and wrong.

I only got 24 words in to the article to the word "reputation" and the article lost all seriousness.....

I sincerely hope that the crazy single gateway idea is firmly and completely rejected by the lunatics running this asylum. However knowing the pig-headedness of this mob I wouldn't be at all surprised that it has merely been temporarily put on the back burner and could be sprung on us once the powers that be consider (probably with the help of their Chinese pals) that it can be achieved.

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong.

They will go ahead with it. Why should the junta listen to anyone?, Have they ever really listened or cared about anyone or anything other than their interests? They do what they want when they want and do not care what people think. Governing to the junta is about getting their way.

Edited by lovelomsak

The 'single gateway' will never happen.

What is likely to be implemented is a distributed Web proxy system with unified control directly in the hands of the government, a la Singapore.

The part about Thailand not being subject to serious online attacks is a joke. The Thai Internet is a cesspit of compromised, botted computers which launch DDoS attacks, are in turn DDoSed, send spam, phishing, et. al.

I sincerely hope that the crazy single gateway idea is firmly and completely rejected by the lunatics running this asylum. However knowing the pig-headedness of this mob I wouldn't be at all surprised that it has merely been temporarily put on the back burner and could be sprung on us once the powers that be consider (probably with the help of their Chinese pals) that it can be achieved.

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong.

I tend to agree. All it would take to end the worry and speculation would be "Forget it. It will not happen" from the junta head at one of his numerous appearances or broadcasts. Why has it not been said?

"Therefore, lawmakers have simply concluded that the best solution is to control the Internet. Thailand remains the only country with a relatively free press that seeks to control the Internet. The rest of the world tries to control press freedom and let loose on Internet control."

relatively free press? should the author of this story report now or later?

The rest of the world tries to control press freedom? except for all the countries that don't.

and let loose on Internet control? I think I will read the daily mail now. oh wait..

Yes, I agree completely.

The Junta have backtracked on the gateway and it is not going to happen - but some of the press seem to have latched on to the original idea and are intent on hammering the same point again and again.

It's clear they are well and truly bought in Thailand. What makes it abundantly clear to me is the fact we keep getting big stories about things where the dirty cronies were much worse, but no reporter said a dicky bird at the time.

At this point, I only take any criticism of the Junta seriously if the person making it was also critical of Pheu-Thai. The only person I can think of who did that is Veera of Bangkok post.

The rest are hypocrites who should shut up until their dirty ways are reformed. While they are waiting, they should read their 'code of ethics' again and wonder where along the way they lost sight of right and wrong.

Here he goes again. The post is about the JUNTA and the single gateway. PTP are not in power so forget them until they're voted in at the next election (if there ever is one).

They will go ahead with it. Why should the junta listen to anyone?, Have they ever really listened or cared about anyone or anything other than their interests? They do what they want when they want and do not care what people think. Governing to the junta is about getting their way.

"Wow" your post sounds just like when then the red shirts were in control....... Lol

Surely the trick is to run massive surveillance without anyone knowing you are doing it?

Anyone with any IT knowledge can get around a single gateway, so it defeats the issue of securing national security. So obviously, the Thai definition extends to controlling what you can read, and thus think....Thus, it is a complete smokescreen to claim it is to protect the country from wrongdoers, it is rather a way to control the populous. If the issue is to stop people communicating, presumably, this is why Thaipost takes a week deliver anything. By slowing it down, they are protecting the country?

Edited by Thai at Heart

"the rise of violent extremists and terror threats have persuaded Asean members to impose stronger measures on digital surveillance. Thailand is no exception."

Actually, Thailand has been the exception as the current government does not recognize any terror threats or violent extremists. Such acts have always been part of some personal vendetta, Thaksin conspiracy or misunderstanding. Polls show that 95% of Thai people are happy with Prayut and his regime.

Implementing stronger measures on digital surveillance seems unjustified and an overreaction.

Yes, I agree completely.

Here he goes again. The post is about the JUNTA and the single gateway. PTP are not in power so forget them until they're voted in at the next election (if there ever is one).

Junta John never disappoints. He can always be counted on to bring up his one, tired argument.

There is a lot to laugh about in this article by Kavi Chongkittavorn, Senior Fellow at the Institute of Strategic and International Studies, Chulalongkorn University, and assistant group editor of Nation Media Group. For such a well-credentialed reporter, one hopes he is just using irony to achieve his satirical result.

There are some great throwaway lines in this article, but what is not funny is his comment that, “… each day, the Thai government is spending at least Bt1.7 million on digital surveillance, which has not yet yielded any tangible result…”. That’s money that could/should be better spent elsewhere, rather than worrying about the Thai equivalent of ‘reds under the beds’.

If Kavi’s statement is true, then it is just another unfortunate example of the junta’s inability to control anything other than their own bowels (and, I question whether they have even got that arse about face judging by all the feculence flowing from their mouths)!

Yes, I agree completely.

Junta John never disappoints. He can always be counted on to bring up his one, tired argument.

Funnily enough, bruce, your comment could easily apply to the one by jesimps as well -

.................."until they're voted in at the next election"..........................

or to the various posters who cannot make a comment without dropping the term - democratically elected, anti-democratic, illegal coup etc etc etc.

Yes, they can get a bit tiresome after a while. beatdeadhorse.gif

Don't ever say an idea is dead here in Thailand

Just when we thought that the silly submarine plan had been sunk, it has refloated ( if you will excuse my maritime pun )

Loving it. Our chief economist was rolling with laughter when the submarines idea first came up. Why? For this reason. The Gulf of Thailand is relatively shallow: its mean depth is 58 metres (190 ft) and the maximum depth is only 85 metres (279 ft). ​She also pointed out that when Thailand offered itself as a location for the World Free-diving Championships, the response was derisory - one diver replying that his best depth would put him many metres underground..

Sadly the average kid at Pantip knows far more about this than any ministerial cypher at the MICT.

They may continue to try this, but the big boys will start losing money and force the plug to be pulled.

Hopefully before to much damage is done.

Having weighed all the advice ,they've

"Gone for abyss"

Yes, I agree completely.

Why just the Pheu-Thai???????? Qhat about the rest of those yellow shirts also???? If you are going to say things - say it all not just one sided like suthep would.

Yes, I agree completely.

Why are you singling out the Pheu-Thai???? What about the yellow shirts also. The are just as bad. They are cronies. So include all or don't say anything.