Thailand and China - working together for a smart Asean

webfact

CHINA BUSINESS WEEKLY
Thailand and China - working together for a smart Asean

Suwatchai Songwanich
Chief executive Officer,
Bangkok Bank (China)

BANGKOK: -- Last month, China and Thailand agreed to expand their 2013 agreement to cooperate in various fields of science and technology such as space technology, remote sensing satellites, solar energy and electric cars.

This took place at a meeting of the Thai and Chinese science ministers at the Third Forum on China-Asean Technology Transfer and Collaborative Innovation in Nanning.

The vice minister of China's Science and Technology Ministry, Cao Jianlin, who was a party to the agreement, stressed the importance of working with Thailand in these areas.

The first stage, particularly the development of Thailand's high-speed rail project, had gone very well, he said.

While this endeavour will continue, the next stage will focus on the development of the Gistda satellite base in Chon Buri, which will play a key role in Thailand's transition to a high-income, high-value economy.

Gistda is a ground station for communicating with satellites and China is rapidly developing its satellite system, with plans to have sent 35 satellites in orbit by 2020.

Its Beidou satellite navigational system is being developed as an alternative to America's Global Positioning System, or GPS. In 2013, Thailand became the first foreign country to operate the system.

The director of Gistda, Anond Snidwongs, said navigational technology is the world's most powerful technology trend.

It is the key to many innovative technologies and developments such as cloud computing, big data, the sensor web and smart cities.

Practical applications include remote sensing, logistics and self-driving cars. It is also a key element in sustainable development, being used to map climate change and weather patterns.

It can support energy conservation, efficient transportation, water management and disaster preparedness.

China's navigational system technology is the best in the world, so the collaboration will help Thailand to become an advanced technology-based society in the future, he said.

Thai industry is already capable of high-tech manufacturing. The development of this technology will help us to keep abreast of the latest trends and maintain our leadership in auto production, while also enabling our manufacturers to venture into the higher realms of space technology manufacturing.

Gistda intends to become the Asean hub for geo-informatics technology development and training.

It will provide information exchanges for space technology, support the development of smart economic corridors in the region and attract entrepreneurs to make use of space technology in their business.

The development of space technology is an extremely important part of China's innovation-driven development strategy. It is being given high priority in terms of research and development.

Clearly a cooperative partnership with China in science and technology will also help Thailand to move up the value chain and provide support for a Smart Asean.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Thailand-and-China--working-together-for-a-smart-A-30270655.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-12

OK let's see: China steals technology from the West... Thailand wants to "share" but they "got nothin." So they'll offer ???? not sure what so China et al will "share/lend/ GIVE" Thailand some information regarding science and technology. Then Thailand can say "we found/built" etc. and seem educated/modern/advanced. This country is delusional. Ah but that's part of saving "face" and Thainess is it not?

Edited by selftaopath

Is Chna a part of ASEAN? hmm... a sneaky child...

Thailand so lazy to work with technology, just use and abuse it... one thing T-land doesn't realize that Asians don't play nicely together... not like TLand can use and abuse things from the west and get away with it... they won't with C-na... so when these two get into bed deeply... guess who gets to take it up the arse? hehe well we all know who will.

This article is simply free advertising for the business interests.

There is virtually nothing in the article of substance, indicating the nature of the deals. The article says "cooperative partnership" but the parameters of the partnership are sparse.

With respect to products like solar panels and electric cars, clearly China has a huge production capacity and they want to simply expand their markets. I would watch out for crap products, though; the Chinese produce a wide range of quality, to put it politely.

As for the GPS satellite developments, I'm not sure how the rest of the world feels about relying on the Chinese (and I'm sure district works the other way as well). Again, this simply looks like Thailand being a customer of Chinese technology.

Brownie points for using the word "hub" in the article.

I have to admit i did not read all of the post as i was doubled up with laughter after the first few lines, high income and high value and then space tech ! a few more lines and it looks like a snow job by china but the Thais didn;t see it coming cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

I read Cantonese and there is a similar article in the Chinese news today.

It basically says that Thailand will have to lift the capability of it's manufacturing sector significantly so that Thailand can produce the polystyrene and cardboard packaging that all the crappy stuff China makes, gets packaged in.

...and then they said that Thailand has not realized yet that China is not part of Asean.

Is Chna a part of ASEAN? hmm... a sneaky child...

Thailand so lazy to work with technology, just use and abuse it... one thing T-land doesn't realize that Asians don't play nicely together... not like TLand can use and abuse things from the west and get away with it... they won't with C-na... so when these two get into bed deeply... guess who gets to take it up the arse? hehe well we all know who will.

China is ASEAN dialogue partner known as ASEAN + 3. The other partners are Japan and South Korea.

I wonder what Thailand can offer ASEAN partners?

• Cheap Labor
  • Squabbling
  • Inability to get to the truth
  • An attitude of "Mai be lai"
  • half arsed workmanship

But they are good at "pointing"... Ive noticed that in News articles

They also have lots of accidents, so "live" crash test dummies could be a thing they are good at....

Hmmmm... It seems very hard to play in the sandpit with all the others if you have no toys/skills of your own....

But there is a history of twisted news reporting, so the OP article may indeed be the opposite of what it is spewing out!

-sic-

The Chinese never offer anything without some price attached to it -either up front or for the future. China is interested in obtaining food; fuel and production bases for its economy which is starting to contract. Without an expanding economy- its control of its citizens becomes a problem and that worries the Communist Party. As far as technology transfer- Thailand had a perfect opportunity when NASA (America's Space Agency) wanted to open a station in the Utapao area. However, the last government blew the chance and now they are left with China. As much as I criticize American business- it is nowhere as aggressive or sinister as the Chinese who will gobble up territory and business for its own gain whenever possible. In addition, its products are of poor quality and sold with the attitude of Caveat Emptor. (Let the Buyer Beware). and without any thought of ethical business practices.

This article is simply free advertising for the business interests.

There is virtually nothing in the article of substance, indicating the nature of the deals. The article says "cooperative partnership" but the parameters of the partnership are sparse.

With respect to products like solar panels and electric cars, clearly China has a huge production capacity and they want to simply expand their markets. I would watch out for crap products, though; the Chinese produce a wide range of quality, to put it politely.

As for the GPS satellite developments, I'm not sure how the rest of the world feels about relying on the Chinese (and I'm sure district works the other way as well). Again, this simply looks like Thailand being a customer of Chinese technology.

Brownie points for using the word "hub" in the article.

But . . . but the article says China's navigational system technology is "the best in the world." China! CHina! CHINA!

The current regime needs to kiss China's behind to enable them to promote Cheap train and its infrastructure on Thai soil and for Single gateway control.....

Did I not see this coming...wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Edited by MaxLee

The Chinese never offer anything without some price attached to it -either up front or for the future. China is interested in obtaining food; fuel and production bases for its economy which is starting to contract. Without an expanding economy- its control of its citizens becomes a problem and that worries the Communist Party. As far as technology transfer- Thailand had a perfect opportunity when NASA (America's Space Agency) wanted to open a station in the Utapao area. However, the last government blew the chance and now they are left with China. As much as I criticize American business- it is nowhere as aggressive or sinister as the Chinese who will gobble up territory and business for its own gain whenever possible. In addition, its products are of poor quality and sold with the attitude of Caveat Emptor. (Let the Buyer Beware). and without any thought of ethical business practices.

Some time ago... don't remember if it was 2 yrs or more, but Google wanted to be active in Thailand. They spelled out their proposal and gave a deadline for a response. Well .... you guessed it...Thailand let the deadline expire w/out a response and Google went elsewhere... Sorry I don't remember the specifics... I have CRS. :-)

OK let's see: China steals technology from the West... Thailand wants to "share" but they "got nothin." So they'll offer ???? not sure what so China et al will "share/lend/ GIVE" Thailand some information regarding science and technology. Then Thailand can say "we found/built" etc. and seem educated/modern/advanced. This country is delusional. Ah but that's part of saving "face" and Thainess is it not?

No question China stole a lot, but now they are developing things themself as well.

And stealing: You don't simply copy the files and than you can do it. Even using a stolen technology is a big achievement and difficult.

Don't underestimate them.....They build rockets and fly into space without problems, others have the same information but can't....

Big Brother is watching you.

Big Brother? More like "Who's your Daddy?"

China or the US. US or China.

At the moment the LOS has slid up to China as it's Papa, after having shot down the TPP. But the US tends to have most of the smaller countries by the proverbial 'balls' in one way, shape, or form. At some point in time, they decide it's time to give a little squeeze, and suddenly the US has a new friend.

Give it time, and we'll see which Daddy Thailand likes the best.

Thailands sure gonna be the first country that send bambo sticks filled with chicken shi# for fuel, into space. Oh and a chineese designed satelite wrapped with black tape and wire against it. This called space technology is to far away for this country as they thai-modify everything without knowledge of doing something right.