Whiskey

KC 71

Can any one who is knowledgable about whisky give me info on 'Blend'

This seems to be my drink of choice .

I am not expecting 12 yr age given the low price ,but it just seems to hit all the right buttons. Is it clean etc......

Any info would be appreciated.

If you mean "Blend 285", it's not whisky, but a whisky-based product - basically cheap whisky diluted with industrial alcohol and water. It's only 35% alcohol. (Most whiskies are 40%, whilst many single malts are stronger.) This would make it taste more appealing to whisky novices and keeps the price lower.

compared to 100 Pipers it is way behind but I think also its what you get used to,

I didn't like 100 Pipers at first but at the price I feel its the best value around and soon thought it was the bees knees

Having said that, I am trying to get off the whisky altogether as I get older I seem to be unable to tolerate it like I did years ago, anyone else having the same problems?

Im not worried about the percentage ( i love single malt) dont get me wrong - but its not financially viable for me unfortunately.

as for halloween- no party for me.

Light a few candles for your ancestors maybe !

All the rum based products make me ill.

I have even drunk some beers( no names mentioned )and feel there is formaldehyde involved. I guess i must follow my instincts !

Thanks for the input all.

Im not worried about the percentage ( i love single malt) dont get me wrong - but its not financially viable for me unfortunately.

I have even drunk some beers( no names mentioned )and feel there is formaldehyde involved. I guess i must follow my instincts !

Formaldehyde in Chang bottles has never been proven anywhere to my knowledge...

I think it's just a backpackers rumour tbh because no Thai has ever mentioned it

Drinking 5+ litres of any cheap beer will leave me feeling poisoned the next day regardless of the brand...

Blend is from the Red Bull distillery, it's an unknown mixture of stuff and probably best avoided in the long term. Sang Som is blended rum and too much has been known to create extraordinary behaviour amongst indulgers.

Stick with scotch whiskey, it's the only one really. Regency brandy makes a nice change occasionally.

Formaldehyde in Chang bottles has never been proven anywhere to my knowledge...

I think it's just a backpackers rumour tbh because no Thai has ever mentioned it

Drinking 5+ litres of any cheap beer will leave me feeling poisoned the next day regardless of the brand...

If it is not Formaldehyde than it is some ordinary dirt that causes the headache.

I get headache from 2 bottles of Carlsberg, now. When it was new on the market I didn't.

I don't get headache from Heineken.

I don't even try Chang.

All beers have a big variation in taste, either every charge is different or sometimes they let the bottles stay in full sunlight for days so it is boiled.

Got cans of Heineken which were so bad that I didn't drink them and gave them for the Burmese labor (they loved them and now I am their hero....).

Speedtripler youre probably right (could just be me)

And yes i guess youre all right in a way- maybe just cut down on the intake and go for the good stuff. Thanks again.

me too.....these 3-5 liter wine container don't cause me headache.....price/quality ratio is good. Not an excellent wine, but drinkable and no side effects.

compared to 100 Pipers it is way behind but I think also its what you get used to,

I didn't like 100 Pipers at first but at the price I feel its the best value around and soon thought it was the bees knees

Having said that, I am trying to get off the whisky altogether as I get older I seem to be unable to tolerate it like I did years ago, anyone else having the same problems?

The Topic Title got my attention immediately....biggrin.png

Yep....the older you get...the less whiskey you enjoy....or need.

But as older I get as more picky I get on the quality....

So drinking much less is still the same costs.

But as older I get as more picky I get on the quality....

So drinking much less is still the same costs.

Same same me. I used to be a beer drinker only, but I've found the Thai beers do not taste like a beer should (they are made with rice, right)?

I recently had a long layover in Dubai airport and killed some of the time browsing some "Duty Free" shops. Dubai has many!

I can't recall it's name but a beautifully displayed brand of single malt Scotch caught my eye. The bottle was like a really attractive piece of glass sculpture. I don't remember the price but it was way up there.

When I looked more closely, I realized that nowhere was there any mention of age or distillery location or any other pertinent information one normally sees on a true vintage beverage. Apparently, it was just ordinary swill packaged and presented to fool the easily impressed....the profits from this junk must be amazing.

It's swill. Pipers is also nasty, swear they put mineral spirits in it as well despite stating its all scotch. Had to up my game, Dewers 1l b699.

Thailand is now more expensive for liquor than many developed countries and most of ASEAN. US,Japan... Wait till the thb drops further...

PS Benmore is also nasty. Sang Thip should not be drank by persons with diabetes on regular basis, rum coming from sugar.

Any whisky what is cheaper then sang som is a no no

I used to drink sang som all the time I was fine when drinking it and didn't even get a bad hangover

The problem was that the next day if i did not drink, when I tried to sleep I used to have these werid vivid lucid dreams type things

I used to know I was dreaming wake myself up but couldn't move my body for about 30 seconds

So I now drink Jim beam anyone tried the new one with honey, it's so good

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

"The nose presents with hints of peat within a framework of juicy red apples, cherry jam, dried apricot and soft vanillas. The whiff of new make emerges after a while, relatively acceptable but with what smells like a fair bit of smelly higher alcohols and tails from a distilling run. On the palate the spirit takes on an gelatinous texture and then the flaws emerge – the acrid burn of alcohol seems very much neutral, like a cheap vodka, and that astringent bitterness lingers into the finish with the taste of chemicals and nail polish remover. The nose was definitely promising, but the whisky showed its flaws on the palate. At around $6, I would not buy this whisky. I’m not even sure it should be endured even for free, unfortunately."

http://maltmileage.com/2014/04/22/blend-285/

Have been drinking this one a few times and I don't see anything wrong with it. Taste is good, no hangovers or nightmares which I get from any other cheap brand i have tried, en the price of 275Bht is it's prime attraction.

Another example of Scottish whisky being blended with local industrial alcohol - in this case Indian industrial alcohol. Not sure I'd want to risk my eyesight with that.

Have been drinking this one a few times and I don't see anything wrong with it. Taste is good, no hangovers or nightmares which I get from any other cheap brand i have tried, en the price of 275Bht is it's prime attraction.

Another example of Scottish whisky being blended with local industrial alcohol - in this case Indian industrial alcohol. Not sure I'd want to risk my eyesight with that.

If you search they seem to get quite good reviews. Radico is the market leader for Whisky in India.

http://www.radicokhaitan.com/royal_whytehall_whisky.html

Archived