Seen Any Live Theater In Thailand? Would You Like To?

chicagogato

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to gauge the level, scope, style, and quality of live theater productions being performed by expat ensembles in Thailand, and Chiang Mai, in particular.

At the same time, it would be good to get a feel of what the readers of this board would like to see presented on stage, if they had the opportunity.

Please write about any shows you've seen that fit the criteria above, or any playwrite that you're interested in, produced or not. If you've seen it, write a short critique. If you don't have time for a critique, just say what the show is,where you saw it, and if you think it was worth the price of the ticket..

If you have the time, make a list of shows you think might go over good here.

My wish list looks something like this:

"No Place to be Somebody"

"View from The Bridge"

"The Dodo Bird"

"Landscape of the Body"

"Titus Andronicus"

"Day of Absents"

"When you Coming Back Red Ryder?"

"Ceremonies in Dark Old Men"

"The Homcoming"

"Home"

"The Monkey's Paw"

"Thunder in the Index"

"Henrey V"

"A Hatful of Rain"

"Native Son"

"Middle of the Night"

"Wait Until Dark"

"Cops"

"The Amen Corner"

"Blues For Mr. Charlie"

"Spell Number Seven"

"On the Waterfront"

"Medal of Honore Ragg"

"Streamers"

"A Raisin in the Sun"

"Thunder in the Index"

"The Owl Killer"

To be continued.....

With out wishing to appear too negative – none of the above, nothing, no shows of interest for me.

because you've read/seen them before?

I'm certainly interested in some live theatre. I don't think you need to know the nature of a play to enjoy the acting. People listen to jokes, stories, watch the world go by - it's all acting.

OK, I'll bite.

Though I doubt this is possible.

I lived in the San Francisco area for 25 years. Of course, there is a huge American Asian and Asian expat community there. There is also a vital Asian American theater scene. New plays with an American twist reflecting the lives of these Asian expats in America.

Thats what would be interesting to me. A small avante garde theater company that developed scripts in English that dealt with the farang experience in Thailand. Our culture as it were.

Even if there was a demand and the money could be raised, what kind of visa would these artists be able to get?

Frankly, any attempt to just put on shows from the "old country" are likely to be pitiful. They are likely to be pale copies of the real thing. What I am suggesting, is a real NEW thing.

By the way, when you consider the STORIES on Thaivisa, and the wealth of farang in Thailand literature, there is most definitely the MATERIAL for new plays, in abundance. Perhaps a start could be a theatrical adaption of one of the more popular farang in Thailand novels.

Edited by Thaiquila

With out wishing to appear too negative – none of the above, nothing, no shows of interest for me.

because you've read/seen them before?

I'm certainly interested in some live theatre. I don't think you need to know the nature of a play to enjoy the acting. People listen to jokes, stories, watch the world go by - it's all acting.

Fair enough. Will have something for you soon. :o

OK, I'll bite.

Though I doubt this is possible.

I lived in the San Francisco area for 25 years. Of course, there is a huge American Asian and Asian expat community there. There is also a vital Asian American theater scene. New plays with an American twist reflecting the lives of these Asian expats in America.

Thats what would be interesting to me. A small avante garde theater company that developed scripts in English that dealt with the farang experience in Thailand. Our culture as it were.

Even if there was a demand and the money could be raised, what kind of visa would these artists be able to get?

Frankly, any attempt to just put on shows from the "old country" are likely to be pitiful. They are likely to be pale copies of the real thing. What I am suggesting, is a real NEW thing.

By the way, when you consider the STORIES on Thaivisa, and the wealth of farang in Thailand literature, there is most definitely the MATERIAL for new plays, in abundance. Perhaps a start could be a theatrical adaption of one of the more popular farang in Thailand novels.

You're thinking outside the box and that's good.

I like the scope of style of material you'd like to see presented.

In terms of visas, think outside a little more. There is more than 1 solution to this problem.

Now, that said, please tell me why you assume there is no demand.

I don't know if there is no demand. I would go. I don't live in Chiang Mai but I might even make a special trip if there was a really good show.

I have never heard of anybody trying such a thing before in Thailand. If it was done well, had a decent budget, and a decent publicity budget, and it spoke to the lives of expats, I would think there would be a demand. Not profits mind you, but an audience.

BTW, these expat shows in San Francisco, often had some "crossover" audience, non-Asians interested in Asian culture. I wonder if English speaking Thais would also be interested.

Edited by Thaiquila

I want to be encouraging......but....you do need to consider if work permits or the lack thereof will be a problem. I'm thinking this issue could be handled but it will take some time and effort and perhaps some money....or perhaps you don't need them.....who am I to say?

Chownah

I don't know if there is no demand. I would go. I don't live in Chiang Mai but I might even make a special trip if there was a really good show.

I have never heard of anybody trying such a thing before in Thailand. If it was done well, had a decent budget, and a decent publicity budget, and it spoke to the lives of expats, I would think there would be a demand. Not profits mind you, but an audience.

BTW, these expat shows in San Francisco, often had some "crossover" audience, non-Asians interested in Asian culture. I wonder if English speaking Thais would also be interested.

Thanks much for your response.

I've got no budget, but what I have got is plenty of passion, experience, and ideas. Theater should be universal in it's message so crossover audience will follow what is interesting and entertaining.

The fact that no one has, or is trying to produce quality theater, is one of the reasons why it will work!

I want to be encouraging......but....you do need to consider if work permits or the lack thereof will be a problem. I'm thinking this issue could be handled but it will take some time and effort and perhaps some money....or perhaps you don't need them.....who am I to say?

Chownah

These theater artists will be PLAYing not WORKing.

First problem: work permit hassles. Work permits are required for both paid and unpaid, both mental and physical "work". So any kind of farang community theatre is probably out. Could a farang direct a Thai cast without a work permit? Could they even write the script?

I expect it would be extremely difficult to appeal to a mixed audience so you'd have to focus your productions on either a Thai audience or a farang audience. The (free) evening music concerts in Bangkok's Lumpini Park draw decent crowds; might a "Shakespeare in the Park (in Thai reinterpreted for a Thai audience) "?

Here's a listing of some of what's currently on in Bangkok: http://www.bangkok.com/whats-on-on-stage/index.html

Good luck, though -- I really do believe Thailand needs more of this kind of thing.

Edited by fxm88

Chownah

These theater artists will be PLAYing not WORKing.

You might look at it that way but I kinda doubt that the gov't will. That being said I wish you the best! <am heading up to BKK soon to see West Side Story! :o

As I mentioned in you last posting, why don't you contact Voice Studio as they put on live productions every year? I don't know if they're connected or not but Joan Eubank (a former Broadway star) and her daughter are quite involved in productions here in town. I can't remember her daughter's name but she works at Chiang Mai International School. I'm sure that these people could give you a very clear insight into the theatre scene here since they've been here for decades.

I'm off to see West Side Story as well.... a chance in a lifetime for those of us living in Thailand.

Edited by earlofwindermere

Another approach would be to get involved with local Thai actors and directors. Many speak English and might be interested to collaborate. It would be a nice way to integrate your talents and interests with like-minded people in Thai society, rather than follow the increasing trend of farang-for-farang economy and culture. (Not to say that a good production of a western play wouldn't also attract some Thais)

Check out, for example, the Makhompom Theater Group, headed by Pradit Prasarttong. At least one of their longtime members lives in Chiang Mai. They put on fantastic original productions that blend classical Thai arts, modern media, and social commentary. Here's their website, which has a good English section.

Makhompom.net

Enjoy!

First problem: work permit hassles. Work permits are required for both paid and unpaid, both mental and physical "work". So any kind of farang community theatre is probably out. Could a farang direct a Thai cast without a work permit? Could they even write the script?

I expect it would be extremely difficult to appeal to a mixed audience so you'd have to focus your productions on either a Thai audience or a farang audience. The (free) evening music concerts in Bangkok's Lumpini Park draw decent crowds; might a "Shakespeare in the Park (in Thai reinterpreted for a Thai audience) "?

Here's a listing of some of what's currently on in Bangkok: http://www.bangkok.com/whats-on-on-stage/index.html

Good luck, though -- I really do believe Thailand needs more of this kind of thing.

I have my sights set on overcoming the visa problems you point out. ANY kind of farang theater is "probably," not out, unless I give up! Thanks for your input though and thanks for the link too :o

There are many good presentations that would be very welcome.....

In no order of preference.....

Oliver

JC Superstar

Cats

Joseph (and his much coloured dream coat)

Starlight Express

Some "music hall"

West Side Story

Chess

etc., etc

Now that's what I'm talking about! Thank you.

As I mentioned in you last posting, why don't you contact Voice Studio as they put on live productions every year? I don't know if they're connected or not but Joan Eubank (a former Broadway star) and her daughter are quite involved in productions here in town. I can't remember her daughter's name but she works at Chiang Mai International School. I'm sure that these people could give you a very clear insight into the theatre scene here since they've been here for decades.

I'm off to see West Side Story as well.... a chance in a lifetime for those of us living in Thailand.

I heard a rumor today that West Side Story may cancel their BKK performances due to the coup. Anyone have confirmation of this one way or the other?

I heard a rumor today that West Side Story may cancel their BKK performances due to the coup. Anyone have confirmation of this one way or the other?

I can confirm it is NOT cancelled

<as of right now>