TAT aims to boost domestic tourism next year

webfact

TAT aims to boost domestic tourism next year

BANGKOK, 13 October 2015 (NNT)-The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will shift its attention to promoting domestic tourism next year as a way to reduce dependence on foreign tourists.

According to TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn, the TAT aims to increase tourism revenue to 830 billion baht at the end of next year via domestic campaigns and as much as 1 trillion baht within 3 years.

Tourism campaigns will be carried out rigorously to raise a number of domestic tourists. They are also in line with the government’s economic policy that is focused on building a strong economic foundation at a grassroots level.

The government has allocated 6.7 billion baht to the TAT to fund its tourism campaigns. 60% of the sum is expected to be spent on attracting foreigners to visit Thailand while the remaining will be spent domestically.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-13 footer_n.gif

Has anybody ever heard an organisation spew out absolute rubbish like TAT continually does on an almost daily basis. The place must be occupied by scatterbrains or those on the juice.

TAT ..tourism announcement trash

Edited by Reigntax

How is this going to help the economy? Thais are already highly indebted so the little disposable income they have is not going to be spent travelling around the country. In any case, whether they spend their money locally or in another part of Thailand will not help the tourist industry. All it is doing is spreading the same money around and wasting money on TAT. As the poster above states, TAT come out with comical and hair brained schemes every day. Clueless they are.

I have a friend, a schoolteacher who is currently on holiday and visiting her daughter in Bkk.

With this sort of TAT thing in mind I asked her if she considered herself to be a tourist since she was travelling quite a distance etc and her answer was an emphatic NO and I think confusion as to why I asked such a stupid question.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will shift its attention to promoting domestic tourism next year as a way to reduce dependence on foreign tourists.

Sounds like the TAT is finally waking up to the reality that foreign travelers, or anyone for that matter, dont find Thainess all that great any more.

Terrible At Tourism (TAT) are a total waste of space.thumbsup.gif The projections (tourists/spending) that they come out with are always beyond a joke and unrealistic. The average Thai are up to their eyes in debt with zero disposable income, the rest that have money probably go overseas for their holidays..coffee1.gif

Not sure really how this boosts the economy that much. Some people who would spend their money on stuff in Thailand will spend their money on other stuff in Thailand. Isn't this just moving money from one pot to another, unless of course they go into debt to do it, or raid their savings for that once in a lifetime trip to Thailand where they live of course.....

They need to do something. I was in Pranburi the other weekend and I was the only guest at a small 28 rooms boutique hotel. Can't imagine that is very profitable.

It's quiet everywhere.

Boutique Hotel in Bangkok - my wife and I for three nights the only guests (10 rooms). Four people helped us load our luggage upon departure. They were sorry to see us go!

Italian Eatery on Silom - Saturday night at 8:30pm, we were the last ones there after a thin dinner crowd.

Hua Hin - Beer Garden #1, 6 customers (horrible band, we left). Beer Garden #2, our party of 7 doubled the crowd (no band, a relief).

Hua Hin - lunch spot near main road/Soi 80. We were the only 2 customers.

The good news is petrol is only 24 baht per liter, well down from a year or so ago.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

They need to do something. I was in Pranburi the other weekend and I was the only guest at a small 28 rooms boutique hotel. Can't imagine that is very profitable.

It's quiet everywhere.

Boutique Hotel in Bangkok - my wife and I for three nights the only guests (10 rooms). Four people helped us load our luggage upon departure. They were sorry to see us go!

Italian Eatery on Silom - Saturday night at 8:30pm, we were the last ones there after a thin dinner crowd.

Hua Hin - Beer Garden #1, 6 customers (horrible band, we left). Beer Garden #2, our party of 7 doubled the crowd (no band, a relief).

Hua Hin - lunch spot near main road/Soi 80. We were the only 2 customers.

The good news is petrol is only 24 baht per liter, well down from a year or so ago.

No no, that is bad news!

Italian Eatery on Silom, what was the name?

I need to try some new Italian.

Just think of the savings that could be realized if the people stayed at home instead of consuming flight fuel and petrel going to a destination outside their provience. So called ''domestic toursim'' just shuffles the cards in the deck, which does require some energy consumption. The numbers remain the same as far as cards go., but then i can enjoy a sun rise or set from the garden and a home cooked meal to some of the road side vendor constribution to gut wrenchers.

different strokes for different folks

Clearly a desperate clutching at straws as foreign visitors continue to dry up even faster than the Kingdom's reservoirs.

Unfortunately, the TAT masterminds seem to have missed recent reports revealing that over 80 per cent of working Thais are heavily in debt - and therefore highly unlikely to be able to afford even a break in their own backyard.

The authority's optimistic forecasts of tourist trends and numbers have become a national - if not international - joke. If the crystal gazing through rose-coloured specs continues, how about a name change to Thai Wishful-thinking Authority for Tourism - or for short.

I still have a few friends there in Thailand who of course think nothing has changed in Pattaya, they don't mind the thousands of Chinese buses clogging the streets, the loss of ascetically appealing staff and costs in some places are more than here in California. Then insert a strict hardcore military junta cracking down on farangs using nominees, blocking the Internet and a pain in the ass visa system for spouses. The deal breaker is the lack of safety, everyday there's a farang "suicide" and they still didn't find the guy that planted a bomb in the open at downtown? Forget it. Those that are still in the bubble living there amaze me.

Edited by Praematura

Yeah, right ! TAT with their usual grandiose cliam when domestic household

debt is at a new high, ordered autos not picked up, many job layoffs, NPLs

( non performing loans), also at dangerous levels and TAT expects these

people to travel when all they are wanting is their next meal !

How is this going to help the economy? Thais are already highly indebted so the little disposable income they have is not going to be spent travelling around the country. In any case, whether they spend their money locally or in another part of Thailand will not help the tourist industry. All it is doing is spreading the same money around and wasting money on TAT. As the poster above states, TAT come out with comical and hair brained schemes every day. Clueless they are.

It does zero for the national economy to apply national tax revenues to stimulate crony tourism interests in a couple of select destinations. That is what happens when a national tourism ministry spends public money on private sector domestic tourism. The only way to stimulate the national economy is to stimulate incremental international arrivals. If TAT wants to appear corrupt they get an A for effort.

TAT!!! If your people stop killing tourists then they will keep coming. Provide a safe place for tourists to come & they will be happy to come & come back again. Sort out your so called attraction staff, van drivers, bus drivers, jet ski operators, life guards, just about everyone involved with tourism & maybe you will have increased numbers. Care about the people not just the money. Spend your budget on getting things right, then the tourist will arrive & be happy.