Thai Songstress Seeks International Fame

britmaveric

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Thai fiance and I saw her new video, el nino (something like that) last night.

Having kids in the age group she is shooting for, I think she has a good chance.

The video? Plenty of skin, skimpy lingerie (I'm not complaining :o )

The music? Well, it's pop (crap) without much character IMHO, but the kids will probably like it.

My fiance's opinion? Hummmphh (actually she likes some of her older music)

Most attractive female singers these days cant sing anyway. The looks is much more important these days.

I havent seen an ugly/fat young star in awhile.

Have a loook at the famous top female singers, half of them can sing but sure do look good.

But yeah, reasonably good looks, a decent singing voice, lots of self confidence and a great team of marketing people and song writers.

Marketing, packaging and a talented supporting cast are definitely the key. Spears proved that you can find considerable commercial success worldwide as a singer even with a mediocre voice.

Good video, with the sound off of course.

Spot on, I think she would have made it better as a coyote :o At least where I come from, the Britney Spears fans are not older than 18 and 80% of them are girls

She ain't got it, her stage performances are not good enough for her to break the US market. She just doesn't have the presence. She's been performing for years, so if she doesn't have the power on stage now she never will.

This is her last chance at going international, the money that's been invested into her has to start coming back sooner or later, they can't keep funding her to go 'inter' forever.

Her last album was billed to go 'inter', and it tanked badly, it was withdrawn from sales early in all asian countries except Japan where it had mediocre success.

Her management always try to make out she does all these concerts abroad, but when you look at the venues it's embarressing. Nightclubs, car shows and promotional events, hardly the stuff of international superstars.

She is being promoted unbelievably heavily in Thailand at the moment. It's too much, obviously a lot of money has been spent on trying to achieve worldwide fame and if the money can't come from overseas they will have to recooperate as much as possible from the home market.

Luckily due to all the monopolies in Thailand and connections with TV media etc, they can promote her above all other brands, this is something that is not possible in most other markets.

Oh yeah, her album was released worldwide on August 24, it's now october and it doesn't look like much is happening.

6 of the tracks on the new album are covers. This is to try to appeal to the various asian markets where the original songs had success.

If this second attempt at international stardum fails I doubt we'll see a third. Sony BMG will not keep pushing her forever, but they will try to get their investment back from the Thai market, so expect to see a lot more of her!!!!

Edited by womble

its not about how she look and sing, have you people ever see how she have a conversation on TV show, my good!!! she think she a god that nobody can compare to her, she talk like an airhead or you might call it dumb blond, that itself will kill here career, nobody like a dumb asz especially you are from show bussiness. what she say to her audience will affect her. sometime the Biitch doesn't get-it and the people that doesn't get it will always look stupit.

its not about how she look and sing, have you people ever see how she have a conversation on TV show, my good!!! she think she a god that nobody can compare to her, she talk like an airhead or you might call it dumb blond, that itself will kill here career, nobody like a dumb asz especially you are from show bussiness. what she say to her audience will affect her. sometime the Biitch doesn't get-it and the people that doesn't get it will always look stupit.

Yeah she is extremely full of herself. This is because of how she is treated in Thailand, you ask half the Thai people and they already think she is a huge international star. They treat her like this, and have treated her like a huge star since a very young age (excuse the pun), this has led to her becoming extremely conceited, annoyingly so. There are so many Thai stars who are like this, internationally they are nothing and never will be, but in Thailand they are huge stars.

The number of albums she has apparently sold in Thailand is phenominal. I say apparently becuase the figures that get dropped by her management are make believe, like most figures in Thailand they come up with a number that sounds good, double it, add a bit more on, then claim that to be the real figure.

However it cannot be denied that she is a big star in Thailand. Although it's hard not to be when you are promoted so heavily!

Her international attempt is failing miserably, El Ninyo had moderate success in Japan and her management claims it was a chart success, it was not. It did get placed on several Japanesse charts.

Here is her 'chart' success so far in Asia. These are not main billboard charts, they are minor charts and frankly if her management have to use any of these charts on her bio to try to show her 'success', then it makes it all too clear that this album has tanked.

El Nin-YO!:

Easy Chart: #1 (LW: #1) - 8 weeks on chart - Peak: #1

SOKA (Indonesia) : #1(LW: #4) - 5 weeks on chart - Peak: #1

MTV Thailand: #2 (LW: #1) - 9 weeks on chart - Peak: #1

Visual (Singapore): #2 (LW: #1) - 5 weeks on chart - Peak: #1

ZIP Dance (Japan): #2 (LW: #1) - 8 weeks on chart - Peak: #1

Plagiarism is unfortunatley all too common here, it's a shame. How often do you her luk tung or mor lam that has been taken from an old western song. Even though everyone here is unaware and they think it was written originally by the Thai songwriter. There is nothing wrong with covers, but the original artist has to be given credit, when they are not given credit as is usually the case here the plagiarist should be ashamed.

Although I must say 6 :o covered tracks on tata's album do give credit to the original artists, would that be the case if grammy were promoting the album?

Saw this in the newstands last month (DaraDaily) and had a good laugh. No, I didn't write 'Big Ass' on the cover and the red arrow, that is the way it was printed. My translation of the Thai script at the bottom --'Kissing Tata's ass, Checking to see if the zits are gone'.

Hmm, not popular in some quarters...

tata2.gif

Edited by qualtrough

I haven't liked her songs since she started modeling her music to be Britney Spears. Recent songs like dhoom dhoom and el ninyo don't do anything for me. She was so much better when she had her own identity. I really like some of her older songs so much and one of her Thai language songs is among my favorite songs of all time.

Hasn't she always copied Britney? Going back 4 or 5 years ago she wasn't so differen - just a few more items of clothes.

She is very popular in SEA there is no doubt about that. I havent heard her latest album apart from El Nino, but based on last cd I don't see why she wouldnt be able to make it. She has the entire marketing package going for her sing, dance, and sex appeal.

i just cant see the attraction.

she's not that nice looking and is desperate to play up the western angle. can't see how that will be successful when there are plenty of 100% farang tarts doing the same thing back home.

what somebody needs to do is promote a real 100% thai girl with a thai style and not this fake drivel. you need to be different to stand out and tata young is just trying to fit in. plus her music is shockingly poor.

can't see how that will be successful when there are plenty of 100% farang tarts doing the same thing back home.

She is more successful than any Thai singer before her, so she must be doing something right.

I'm not too sure people outside Thailand are interested by the 100% Thai girl thing, whatever it means...

Yeah she is extremely full of herself. This is because of how she is treated in Thailand, you ask half the Thai people and they already think she is a huge international star. They treat her like this, and have treated her like a huge star since a very young age (excuse the pun), this has led to her becoming extremely conceited, annoyingly so. There are so many Thai stars who are like this, internationally they are nothing and never will be, but in Thailand they are huge stars.

The number of albums she has apparently sold in Thailand is phenominal. I say apparently becuase the figures that get dropped by her management are make believe, like most figures in Thailand they come up with a number that sounds good, double it, add a bit more on, then claim that to be the real figure.

However it cannot be denied that she is a big star in Thailand. Although it's hard not to be when you are promoted so heavily!

Her international attempt is failing miserably, El Ninyo had moderate success in Japan and her management claims it was a chart success, it was not. It did get placed on several Japanesse charts.

Here is her 'chart' success so far in Asia. These are not main billboard charts, they are minor charts and frankly if her management have to use any of these charts on her bio to try to show her 'success', then it makes it all too clear that this album has tanked.

El Nin-YO!:

Easy Chart: #1 (LW: #1) - 8 weeks on chart - Peak: #1

SOKA (Indonesia) : #1(LW: #4) - 5 weeks on chart - Peak: #1

MTV Thailand: #2 (LW: #1) - 9 weeks on chart - Peak: #1

Visual (Singapore): #2 (LW: #1) - 5 weeks on chart - Peak: #1

ZIP Dance (Japan): #2 (LW: #1) - 8 weeks on chart - Peak: #1

Quite. As Francis [God] Rossi from Status Quo pointed out; "If you sell 2 million albums in the UK you are big news. But that also means 58 million dont give a F..."

She is very popular in SEA there is no doubt about that. I havent heard her latest album apart from El Nino, but based on last cd I don't see why she wouldnt be able to make it. She has the entire marketing package going for her sing, dance, and sex appeal.

She isn't popular in all SEAsian countries.

U seen one half white-half thai celeb...u seen them all. :o

can't see how that will be successful when there are plenty of 100% farang tarts doing the same thing back home.

She is more successful than any Thai singer before her, so she must be doing something right.

I'm not too sure people outside Thailand are interested by the 100% Thai girl thing, whatever it means...

successful where though? she is only a big star in her own backyard, she isnt anything in the west.

the reason the thais love her is because she is half-white and conforms to the fashionable idea of what is beautiful. in the west, tata young is nothing special.

a 100% thai girl means a thai girl with a thai mother and father.

Actually this is wrong. She is very popular in Thailand, that's it. Her sales in other countries have been poor to say the least. Her management have been expecting no 1's, and from the amount spent on promotion they have to get results to get the $ back.

When you look at her bio on her website it makes it very clear how badly she is doing internationally, those charts are not main billboard charts, they are minor charts which frankly mean nothing. You would never see a western popstar mention anything other than main billboard chart, to be top of dance chart or rock chart means nothing. You need to be top of the main chart to make any $.

When you read her bio it's not impressive at all except for the Thailand stuff. She fits perfectly into what Thai's think represents sexy and fasionable. To the rest of the world she is another mediocre bubble gum pop act, nothing more nothing less.

The album has been out 2 months now and if it had had any success we would surely be told every five minutes on Thai tv. So we can assume El Nin-yo has tanked outside Thailand. If the next two releases do the same i'd say that's time for her management to accept she will remain a Thai star only. If she was a big star in Japan as they'd have you beleive she wouldn't just be selling a few singles, albums would be flying off the shelves. To make $ you need to sell albums, singles are good for publicity, but it's the albums sales that put serious wedge in the bank.

If you want to make it in the US music bizness, it probably helps to be from the US, UK or Australia. I can't think of any offhand that were not.

I can think of a few reaching moderate success, although admittedly there are not that many...

U2 (Ireland), Shakira (Colombia), Van Morrison (Ireland), ABBA (Sweden), Roxette (Sweden), Ace of Base (Sweden), Cardigans (Sweden), Enrique Iglesias (Spain?), Rammstein (Germany), Gypsy Kings (Spain).

If you want to make it in the US music bizness, it probably helps to be from the US, UK or Australia. I can't think of any offhand that were not.

I can think of a few reaching moderate success, although admittedly there are not that many...

U2 (Ireland), Shakira (Colombia), Van Morrison (Ireland), ABBA (Sweden), Roxette (Sweden), Ace of Base (Sweden), Cardigans (Sweden), Enrique Iglesias (Spain?), Rammstein (Germany), Gypsy Kings (Spain).

Actually Enrique Iglesias is part filipino. His mother comes from a very wealthy spanish-mestizo family in the Philippines.

The Edge is from my hometown of Barking, a little known fact in Barking it seems, still, they got Billy Bragg. :o