"Put a Nickel on the Drum, Save Another Drunken Bum"

Mapguy

The Salvation Army be praised!

This just in from the 13 October edition of Online City News Chiang Mai:

CityNews – Chiang Mai Vice Governor, Chana Paengpibun, has announced a new ‘Campus Safety Zone’ around Chiang Mai University, ordering all pubs, bars, restaurants, stores, apartments and any other venues selling alcohol within a 1km radius of the campus grounds to sign an MOU to cooperate with the reorganisation of alcohol and cigarette control in the area.

post-566-0-23070500-1444733733_thumb.jpg

Image: Online News Chiang Mai

(the red line denotes a 1km radius of the CMU campus highlighted green grey)

Read more here - http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/campus-safety-zone-puts-all-bars-within-1km-of-cmu-at-risk/

Edited by Tywais
Trimmed for fair use and link to source. Next time do the same.

I can't really read the map... It's fuzzy or my eyes are bad.... Is Maya shopping mall included? Aren't there a few places on the rooftop that have music, etc.?

From the complete article:

"The 1km radius of CMU covers all of Suthep road up until the suandok park, the canal road, huaykaew road up to the Shell gas station and the entirety of Nimmanhaemin Road, Maya Shopping Centre, Sirimankaljan Road and their surrounding sois."

A friend told me the places in Maya that sold alcohol were closed a month or two ago.

Edited by heybruce

Interesting conclusion to the full article:

"On October 6, Police Colonel Mongkol Sampawapon lead an investigation team of police to check pubs and bars in the 1km Campus Safety Zone. They found one venue selling alcohol without a licence, 7 venues selling alcohol to underage persons, two failed to provide a smoking area, and one bar to be playing music too loud.

As a result of the police investigation, 19 venues were closed down, had their alcohol permits revoked and ordered to close down for five years."

Problems were found at 11 places so 19 were closed--two (maybe more with this funny math) because they failed to provide a smoking area. That gives us an idea of where this is heading.

BTW: Why just CMU? Or is the CMU area just the beginning?

Edited by heybruce

If you read the article the "restrictions" are really quite reasonable -- not selling alcohol to underage minors, not selling outside the proper hours, not making too much noise, etc.

And no, the places at Maya Mall that sell alcohol continue to do so -- I assume that glass of wine I had with dinner at Dukes last week and the other glass of wine with lunch at the restaurant at Rim Ping the week before count as alcohol, don't they?

If you read the article the "restrictions" are really quite reasonable -- not selling alcohol to underage minors, not selling outside the proper hours, not making too much noise, etc.

And no, the places at Maya Mall that sell alcohol continue to do so -- I assume that glass of wine I had with dinner at Dukes last week and the other glass of wine with lunch at the restaurant at Rim Ping the week before count as alcohol, don't they?

Closing a bar for not having a smoking area is reasonable? Even if the offense was to allow smoking where it should have been prohibited, I think revoking the alcohol permit and closing the bar for five years is extreme.

Regarding Maya, I should have been more specific. My friend told me the rooftop bars were closed. I haven't checked, but it true some people must have lost a lot. I'm sure setting those places up wasn't cheap.

Edited by heybruce

Closing a bar for not having a smoking area is reasonable? Even if the offense was to allow smoking where it should have been prohibited, I think revoking the alcohol permit and closing the bar for five years is extreme.

Regarding Maya, I should have been more specific. My friend told me the rooftop bars were closed. I haven't checked, but it true some people must have lost a lot. I'm sure setting those places up wasn't cheap.

I doubt they closed places for five years for the lack of a smoking area. That was probably reserved for more serious offences like selling to minors.

And I was pointing out that your comment "A friend told me the places in Maya that sold alcohol were closed a month or two ago" is simply false. It is still possible to enjoy a glass of wine, cocktail or beer at at restaurant in Maya.

You didn't say "A friend told me the rooftop bars that stayed open open until the wee hours, blasting loud music to the surrounding neighborhood and selling alcohol to the college students closed a month or two ago"

"On October 6, Police Colonel Mongkol Sampawapon lead an investigation team of police to check pubs and bars in the 1km Campus Safety Zone. They found ..., and one bar to be playing music too loud."

Did they use a decibel meter to determine the level? And how many dBA is the cutoff for "too loud"?

"On October 6, Police Colonel Mongkol Sampawapon lead an investigation team of police to check pubs and bars in the 1km Campus Safety Zone. They found ..., and one bar to be playing music too loud."

Did they use a decibel meter to determine the level? And how many dBA is the cutoff for "too loud"?

It's measured by playing music at any volume and then failing to proffer the appropriate amount of cash when a policeman complains about that music.

I was told by a shocked friend that he was refused wine with his lunch in (I think) wine connection recently.. A wine shop that cant sell you a glass of wine with your meal..

I have no idea which Wine connection this was, none to my understanding are in maya ??

I doubt they closed places for five years for the lack of a smoking area. That was probably reserved for more serious offences like selling to minors.

And I was pointing out that your comment "A friend told me the places in Maya that sold alcohol were closed a month or two ago" is simply false. It is still possible to enjoy a glass of wine, cocktail or beer at at restaurant in Maya.

You didn't say "A friend told me the rooftop bars that stayed open open until the wee hours, blasting loud music to the surrounding neighborhood and selling alcohol to the college students closed a month or two ago"

My correction wasn't good enough for you?:

"Regarding Maya, I should have been more specific. My friend told me the rooftop bars were closed."

My information on closing the bars came straight from the full article:

"On October 6, Police Colonel Mongkol Sampawapon lead an investigation team of police to check pubs and bars in the 1km Campus Safety Zone. They found one venue selling alcohol without a licence, 7 venues selling alcohol to underage persons, two failed to provide a smoking area, and one bar to be playing music too loud.

As a result of the police investigation, 19 venues were closed down, had their alcohol permits revoked and ordered to close down for five years."

I assume the places without smoking areas are among the 19 venues closed for the problems identified at 11 venues.

This is a very good idea. People will drink less.

I'm all for cracking down on underage drinking, excessively loud bars, and even violations of smoking restrictions. However closing a bar and taking away the alcohol permit for five years is extreme. According to this forum the penalty for serving underage drinkers a few months ago was closing for one month: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/847649-why-is-zoe-in-yellow-closed/page-2?hl=+yellow%20+bar%20+closed

Is closing places for five years in accordance with established law, or is it being dictated by someone trying to impress his superiors with how tough he is on alcohol sales?

Is it legal to close a bar for five years for not providing a smoking area? I thought there was a fine for illegal smoking, not loss of one's business.

I was told by a shocked friend that he was refused wine with his lunch in (I think) wine connection recently.. A wine shop that cant sell you a glass of wine with your meal..

I have no idea which Wine connection this was, none to my understanding are in maya ??

Maybe your friend was eating between 2pm and 5pm?

Ruke 5 in the article

Selling alcohol outside of the government designated hours of 11am 2pm and 5pm 12am.

Maybe your friend was eating between 2pm and 5pm?

Ruke 5 in the article

Selling alcohol outside of the government designated hours of 11am 2pm and 5pm 12am.

Of course but I would have thought restaurants selling wine with food under a different structure..

I mean the whole 2 - 5 was only at shops buying smaller until a few months ago.. Its decided at whim not by law.

I'm sure this has been explained many times, but why can you drink and buy alcohol from 11 to 2, but not 2 to 5?

The initial law was made to 'stop children buying alcohol to and from school'.. So 2 - 5 was school closing time.

The fact there was already a law banning sale of alcohol to minors, seems to be lost on anyone writing these.

If you can enforce the former, how can you enforce the latter. If you can enforce the former, why do you need the latter.

Warning that the law also prohibits encouraging “people indirectly” to drink alcohol, Samarn said this week that even private citizens could be prosecuted for posting pictures of themselves drinking on social media.

Just remember.. Posting a picture of yourself in a bar or drinking is illegal.. Its the LAW !!
LOLz

Ha ha ha.. Ohh the loonys are really at it right now
Since the scandal erupted, Samarn has insisted private citizens will also be prosecuted for posting photos showing alcohol.
“These people will also be held accountable, because they cannot defy the law,” he said, referring to anyone who posts such photos.
The law does not only prohibit traditional advertising, but also any effort to “encourage people indirectly” to drink alcohol, Samarn said.
“If they have no intention to do that, they won’t be guilty,” Samarn said. “However, people shouldn’t post photos of themselves with alcoholic beverages anyway, because it’s a sinful product. It’s an immoral product. They shouldn’t pose with that product, because it’s not good for them.
Samarn is a deeply conservative Buddhist and high-profile prohibitionist. He has helped write drafts of a number of laws and regulations aimed to restrict the availability of alcoholic beverages
Edited by LivinLOS

I'm sure this has been explained many times, but why can you drink and buy alcohol from 11 to 2, but not 2 to 5?

That's lunch time. So you can have a beer with your lunch between 11 and 2.

Its actually designed so that you can have a 3 hour session ie 11am-2pm but not to continue your sinful ways after 2pm.

Khun Saman and his ilk considers alcohol sinful,immoral and having the possibilty of sending people into a drunken frenzy and ruining the reputation of the nation..

Of course should you require some alcohol to drink at home with visitors /friends just pop along to a Mom and Pop store and you wont have a problem

The humble, logoed, beer coaster has now also been banned,its considered an incentive to drink to excess.

Get used to ithis "moral" crusade its not going to go away.

I'm all for cracking down on underage drinking, excessively loud bars, and even violations of smoking restrictions. However closing a bar and taking away the alcohol permit for five years is extreme. According to this forum the penalty for serving underage drinkers a few months ago was closing for one month: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/847649-why-is-zoe-in-yellow-closed/page-2?hl=+yellow%20+bar%20+closed

Is closing places for five years in accordance with established law, or is it being dictated by someone trying to impress his superiors with how tough he is on alcohol sales?

Is it legal to close a bar for five years for not providing a smoking area? I thought there was a fine for illegal smoking, not loss of one's business.

Sorry, Bruce, I was being sarcastic, and should have given more evidence I was being so. I think what's going on is crazy!!

Sorry, Bruce, I was being sarcastic, and should have given more evidence I was being so. I think what's going on is crazy!!

I apologize for missing the sarcasm. In my defense, people have posted some ridiculous things in full seriousness. It can be difficult to tell when people are being sarcastic.

Last night.. Beer republic niman.. they came round with the bill, unasked for at 11:40.. With some protest we managed to get them to add another round to the bill (they wanted us to have plastic 'to go' glasses but we promised to drink it speedily) and the staff said they have 'to be closed' by 12, not closing.. so the way they see it is not last orders at 11.55, rather closed by 12.

Warm up heaving with people, and yes served at 12 or 12:15 but only small beers no larges and we couldnt get a second by 12:15 or 12:30.. Also damn they have a big crowd in there.. Seemed like 100s spilling out for a wed.. dont these people have work ??

12:30 maybe 12:45 outside spicy the road was teeming with people all kicked out.. Even my usual lock in was done and dusted.

If you add up those 100s of people all trying to spend money and not being able to.. The cumulative losses to the local economy are just mind blowing.