Stopped by police twice on Sukhumvit Thong Lor in one day

GF47

Yes, when my wife had business in Asoke last Wednesday. I told them in Thai my wife was inside and then told them to <deleted> off and mind their own business.

Seriously, I have no time for the pricks and have told them twice this year in the same area. That's early afternoon near Interchange 21. We go there from time to time for business but outside of that, you wouldn't catch me around that scumbag, seedy, double pricing part of town.

hmmmm, are you up to attending an hour course on attitude adjustment .... whistling.gif

just wondering ......

in the US or elsewhere, you may get shot ....

geez ............. isn't just terrible that the police on active duty actually ride upto some of you farangs and ask you where are you from and what's your presence in Thailand ..... and sometimes check your papers ....

am I missing something here ? they are police forgod sake, and police do police work which involves random checks on anyone !!!!whistling.gif

If you have nothing to hide why be defensive and why be worried ...............

geez ............. isn't just terrible that the police on active duty actually ride upto some of you farangs and ask you where are you from and what's your presence in Thailand ..... and sometimes check your papers ....

am I missing something here ? they are police forgod sake, and police do police work which involves random checks on anyone !!!!whistling.gif

Yeah, you are missing something. You're missing that the systematic targeting of foreigners by police (invasive stop and searches, humiliating public urine tests, borderline extortion) became such a problem before that it made the pages of Time magazine.

http://time.com/3674200/thailand-tourism-police-corruption-shakedown-extortion/

And that earlier this year the new Thong Lor police chief actually said that he had told his men to scale back on this after he launched an internal investigation and put new stop and search guidelines in place. And for a police chief to come out and admit there was a problem is a pretty big deal.

Stop press: Police near red light district in Bangkok stop foreigner at 11.30pm and ask him where he comes from and what his job is before sending him on his way.

In following news a second foreigner was stopped by police and asked similar questions, he swore at them, was rude and threatened them with his wife.

The weather tonight will be mostly cloudy with a 30% chance of light showers.

Reasonable except for one thing.

The Police in this area are notorious for random stops/piss tests and have been spanked by the commissioner not long ago for chronically harassing tourists.

Some say they police in Thailand are out of control.

Funny. Some people think the police here are the same as back home.

The random stops are always in this one district. They pull over taxies and demand passengers get out and piss in a cup, right there on the sidewalk! For NO reason. Completely illegal. Terrorising visitors hoping for a payday!

I thought that police chief was sacked last year for this very reason.

Stop press: Police near red light district in Bangkok stop foreigner at 11.30pm and ask him where he comes from and what his job is before sending him on his way.

In following news a second foreigner was stopped by police and asked similar questions, he swore at them, was rude and threatened them with his wife.

The Police in this area are notorious for random stops/piss tests and have been spanked by the commissioner not long ago for chronically harassing tourists.

It's not about a particular area, it's about the (lack of) uniformity of approach, everywhere in Thailand by all Police. Thonglor is not special or unique.

It's not about a particular area, it's about the (lack of) uniformity of approach, everywhere in Thailand by all Police. Thonglor is not special or unique.

Thonglor is unique. They're the only ones that made it into Time magazine and onto a few dozen leading travel blogs in the past year or so, for their abuses related to (wait for it) shaking down foreigners during random stops.

Edited by impulse

Yes, when my wife had business in Asoke last Wednesday. I told them in Thai my wife was inside and then told them to <deleted> off and mind their own business.

Seriously, I have no time for the pricks and have told them twice this year in the same area. That's early afternoon near Interchange 21. We go there from time to time for business but outside of that, you wouldn't catch me around that scumbag, seedy, double pricing part of town.

Outstanding. It is very important to push back against police who are not doing anything resembling police work. I think as foreigners we can get away with being abrupt, and non tolerating their nonsense. To an extent.

Thonglor is unique. They're the only ones that made it into Time magazine and onto a few dozen leading travel blogs in the past year or so, for their abuses related to (wait for it) shaking down foreigners during random stops.

The airport police haven't done Thailand's reputation any favours either.

Recall the Duty Free Shoplifting entrapment scam?

The cashier would not ring up an item and place it with your paid items in the shopping bag. Right outside the duty fee shop was a police officer that would go thru your bags and find the "stolen" item. Off to the police station? No. They would take the tourists to a cheap, filthy short time motel, terrorise them, hold their passports and tell them they have a 6 month with for a court date. The the police introduce them to a fake lawyer that drains their ATM account......then they are let go.

I'm only up there 2x a year and essentially its a walk from bts to dental clinic mid.day.

Never have I been hassled by cops in fifteen years and yes, passed on few.

Maybe the cops know a petty criminal when they see them? Jus saying...

No. The Thong Lor have been busted for the harassment of tourists.

Reports all over Trip Advisor, Lonely Planet, Newspapers, Blogs, Forums.

GOOGE;

thong lor police tourists

I don't think there's anything special about Thonglor in this respect. These scams/shake downs go in waves of different heights, all over the country, their life span is determined by the length of time it takes the scam to be noticed and the adverse reports to appear on Facebook and similar - tourism and the reputation must be protected and at the same time, the BiB must be allowed their fun and their income streams. Both are compatible objectives, just so long as wave heights are not exceeded.

WELCOME TO THAILAND-LAND OF SMILES

Enjoy your stay. Just be aware of the Bangkok Police Shakedown.

When the police demand to see your passport or insist that you do a urine test beside the road, know your rights.

Before you leave the hotel, be sure to ask the manager for the name of a good lawyer.

1.1 Foreigners may take photos of police officers who do the search before searching begins
1.2 Searching has to be done in a place with sufficient lighting and not be desolated
1.3 Do not pay any amount of money to police officers whether you are asked to do or not
1.4 In case you are in a vehicle or a taxi, police officers who stop a vehicle and do the search must be in a proper checkpoint, under control of a commissioned officer

2. Collecting urine specimen must be done only in the police station

3. Foreigners could carry a copy of first page and entry stamped page of their passport instead of the original one.

If you experience any problems, you can call the tourist police on 1155, 24 hours a day.

You can also call any of the following police stations in Bangkok:

Thonglor Police Station: 02-3818853
Klongton Police Station: 02-3140041
Lumpini Police Station: 02-2555993
Bangrak Police Station: 02-2340242
Makkasan Police Station: 02-3181821

Dude, do try not to overact on this issue, it's all part and parcel of the landscape and no big deal! And if the hit rate were expressed mathematically I would guess that the chances of being stopped and asked a couple of questions, before going on your way, is something like 500 -1 against, assuming you're not actually a criminal that is and unlike a previous poster, have some basic concept of good manners.

Edited by chiang mai

Have there been any instances of on the spot "piss tests" since they were stopped a year or so ago?

The cashier would not ring up an item and place it with your paid items in the shopping bag. Right outside the duty fee shop was a police officer that would go thru your bags and find the "stolen" item. Off to the police station? No. They would take the tourists to a cheap, filthy short time motel, terrorise them, hold their passports and tell them they have a 6 month with for a court date. The the police introduce them to a fake lawyer that drains their ATM account......then they are let go.

I'm not doubting it has happened because I've heard the same stories as well. Just looking for some corroboration. Do you have any links?

I'm not doubting it has happened because I've heard the same stories as well. Just looking for some corroboration. Do you have any links?

There were numerous reports. It was big news.

king power duty free shoplifting scam

There was a distinguished couple that had been invited to Thailand to lecture at a university I recall.

Accused of shoplifting and held in a short time motel, told they will be held months in the "Bangkok Hilton Prison" until a court date then introduced to a police interpreter.

$8,000 dollars drained from their account directly into the interpreters account!

The gentleman in question missed his mothers funeral.

No one doubted the story. They were held hostage like this. King Power and Police insisted they were guilty.

My question is. If they were real shoplifters, that is proper police procedure?

The hotel owner was interviewed, ""It happens frequently"

That police interpreter was said to have assisted in 150 cases.

Prime Minister Abasit even said he would investigate the incident.

But since it was King Power Duty Free & the Police, nothing was ever reported. As usual, the story died.

Edited by RidgeRunner

They now have standing employees every few feet at the borders and its easy to cross the boundry while coming around the corner.

I always walk in the middle of the cooridor to msintain as much distance as possible from K duty free property boundry. I'm afraid of one of them accidently dropping something in my pocket as I pass. They are right there waiting to grab you.