When do Bangkok Bank credit International Transfers?

My pension trustees say they sent the lump sum payment on Monday, but it hasn't appeared in my account as yet (09:50 Wednesday).

Does anyone have knowledge of how long an International Transfer from Europe normally takes to get credited to an account and does Bangkok Bank credit funds intra-day or only first thing in the morning?

- it is normally about 3 business days; you need to allow for time zone differences, and the possibility of a holiday on either end.

- check your account balance at a Bangkok Bank ATM (only); if you see: Ledger Balance xxx,xxx baht

Available Balance: xxx,xxx baht (a smaller figure), that means that your transfer has arrived, and is undergoing a final verification back to the sender, which takes one business day. Your transfer should be available at 1:00 p.m. on the next business day.

- it is normally about 3 business days; you need to allow for time zone differences, and the possibility of a holiday on either end.

- check your account balance at a Bangkok Bank ATM (only); if you see: Ledger Balance xxx,xxx baht

Available Balance: xxx,xxx baht (a smaller figure), that means that your transfer has arrived, and is undergoing a final verification back to the sender, which takes one business day. Your transfer should be available at 1:00 p.m. on the next business day.

No public holidays at either end, so that shouldn't be a problem

20kms to the nearest Bangkok Bank ATM, so that's not practical, but thanks for the information.

Fingers crossed for 1pm today - Thanks!

Don't know where 'paid in' in Europe..

I set up transfers with the Bangkok Bank in London... they give a unique code which you give/send to anyone that is paying you money..

2 weeks ago had a lump sum of £6,000 paid in at 2pm UK time, it was in my BKK Bank account here when I checked the following afternoon.. total charge was £ 15.

Edited by ignis

ignis, I use the London branch relay for a regular monthly pension that I receive, but I get charged 20 pounds at the London end and 200 Baht at the Thai end for this service. (Works well though and I always get credited at 9am next working day).

I'm not sure if the payment I'm expecting is originating from the UK or Gibraltar. The regular quarterly payments will then be coming direct to Thailand as the costs of the outgoing transfer are at the trustee expense (part of their annual charge).

Edited by skygod

I would call them. I had a sum sent from UK to my Kasikorn account which had a value date, (the day the funds are due to be credited). This day came and passed without the sum being credited so I went into my local branch and asked where the funds were. 1 phone call later, they came back and said. "Yes, they're here, do you want them?". Only in Thailand!!!!

Keep in mind that just because you pension fund manager said they sent it Monday "may" not mean it has actually been transmitted by them depending on their internal processing, daily transfer cut-off time, batch transfer method is being used, etc.

But say the funds arrived this morning during the dark hours, unless Bangkok Bank has an issue with the transfer like maybe a name mismatch/misspelling, etc., it should post to your account today "if" you pension transfer was actually transmitted/kicked out the door vs approved/prepared for transfer.

You can call the bank to see if they have received a transfer but it's on hold for posting for some reason.

I get regular transfers from the Eastern Standard Time Zone (GMT -5) and, on average, it takes about 36 hours to show up in my account.

Don't forget to take into account the time differences and any holidays there and here (and Thailand has a LOT of holidays). And let's not forget the occasional screwup, on either end. laugh.png

However, overall, I have found wire transfers to be quick and reliable. I am also using Bangkok Bank. If you can, get internet banking and then you can check your balance any time you want from the comfort of your home.

ignis, I use the London branch relay for a regular monthly pension that I receive, but I get charged 20 pounds at the London end and 200 Baht at the Thai end for this service. (Works well though and I always get credited at 9am next working day).

I'm not sure if the payment I'm expecting is originating from the UK or Gibraltar. The regular quarterly payments will then be coming direct to Thailand as the costs of the outgoing transfer are at the trustee expense (part of their annual charge).

Just looked at my bank book, cannot find any 200 baht charge just shows the amount in Thai baht with the code TRF........ the charge in Bangkok Bank London was £15. they sent an email ..

I also don't live anywhere near Bangkok Bank so my payment could well have been 9 am [next day] just checked when I went out in the afternoon.

the charge in Bangkok Bank London was £15. they sent an email ..

£15 if you get sterling converted to Baht in London and £20 + .25% (min 200 Baht / max 500 Baht) if sterling is converted in Thailand.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

Just looked at my bank book, cannot find any 200 baht charge just shows the amount in Thai baht with the code TRF........ the charge in Bangkok Bank London was £15. they sent an email ..

I also don't live anywhere near Bangkok Bank so my payment could well have been 9 am [next day] just checked when I went out in the afternoon.

The 200 baht isn't a separate charge, it's deducted from the amount remitted before being credited to your account.

Wouldn't worry if they said they"sent" Monday as I believe it was a holiday in US for Columbus day. They might have entered it in a/their system somewhere, but that doesn't mean it actually gets sent.

On how long, bear in mind it has to settle within an actual business day within their hours so, a few guidelines/ principles:

- Holidays in either the sending place - US - or receiving - TH = + 1 day for each different day that's a holiday

- Depending on the route/ currency if there's a holiday in an intermediate place it could cause + 1 day. eg if someone sent from Vietnam to TH in USD and US has a holiday, even though it's not a holiday in VN or TH it will take an extra day for the USD to go thru say New York

- Going from east to west has a chance of same day settlement depending on which countries because of the time differences and the country you're sending to is behind in time, so their working day can start after the sending ones has finished

- Going west to east (as in this case) will likely be next business day settlement at earliest because of the time difference

- Depends also on the cut-off time for the bank/ way you send and a few other things

So given in this case US to TH. If US was a holiday, earliest to expect it would be

Mon -> No = holiday

Tue -> No = likely to go out Tue as the first working day after Monday and probably won't get there until next day given east to west

Wed -> possible

Thu -> should be in your account by end of day

Edited by fletchsmile

So, a few comments after reading all of the above:

1. To Fletchsmile: The OP states that the money in this case was sent from Europe.

2. The exact time when the clerk on either end touched the computer keys is irrelevant. There are threshold times at each stage which seem to occur only once each business day. If that time is missed for any reason, the whole process is delayed by 24 hrs., assuming the next day is a weekday. In other words, if the money is not in the recipeient's account at 1:00 p.m., it is not going to be there before 1:00 p.m. on the following business day.

3. The 1:00 p.m. time for posting of the funds to the recipient's account in Thailand is the same as that for domestic transfers.

So, a few comments after reading all of the above:

1. To Fletchsmile: The OP states that the money in this case was sent from Europe.

Indeed he did smile.png I'll punish myself suitably later. So US holiday would only be relevant if sent in USD smile.png

If Spanish it was their national on Monday day too :)

Edited by fletchsmile

When I do an online transfer from my UK offshore account direct to my Bangkok Bank account, it arrives the same day. I initiate the transfer some time after midnight UK time (usually around 07:00 local time) and the earliest the money has posted to my BB account in Pattaya has been around 13:15 same day and the latest has been nearer 17:00 same day, both local time. Only once in over 8 years has the transfer posted 'overnight', ie. the following day.

Maybe BB has a different action level for transfers that originate from foreign government-owned 'holding' accounts such as pension disbursements? Since pension recipients may only be aware of an approximate, time-shifted, 24-hour period that their pension payment is supposed to be made, it is easier for BB to hold the funds locally for a day or so as the recipient won't have any precise banking transfer information that is needed to chase them up?